BREAKING. General Election called for 8th June.

Lisa O`Brien

10 hours ago, Melody said:

Thanks for the explanation - so basically a more complicated and stressful way of getting to the same place as before. Sigh.

Just one thing, though - if the government didn't get the two-thirds majority to hold the early election but did win the subsequent vote of no confidence, why would the election have to go ahead? I mean, if there wasn't the two-thirds majority, wouldn't that just mean the government would have to continue in office until the end of the term or until they could get a two-thirds majority for an early election?

Because, honestly, if it's the case that an election has to be held regardless, then the whole thing is just a charade.

The answer to this makes my head ache.  Please Google it and weep.  

• Like 1

We also have the pivotal French elections..

My other half is far more politically minded than I am. I look to him for warning signs. I don't know what contingency he is planning for but whenever he starts stockpiling cans of lobster bisque you can bet troubles a'brewing.

• Like 2

I'll risk being a bit party political here, but apparently Corbyn plans four new national holidays.   I think that's a brilliant idea as the UK lags behind almost all the other European nations in this respect, particularly the Catholic ones.  I don't think it would sway peoples voting intentions but it deserves consideration.  The only problem is that two are in March and one shortly after in April, only St Andrew's Day comes in bank holiday-free autumn.

Me neither.  I think many of the other European countries have 10 more days off a year for various reasons than we do, so we should have a few more.   But I agree that 3 of the saints are clustered together rather closely at the same time of year.  What about a Battle of Trafalgar day?  That would fall in mid October, and Nelson should have a holiday as well as a column named after him.  And maybe we could pair that up with Agincourt Day, as they are only about 3 days apart.  

Love the idea of Guy Fawkes day.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 2

Well I'm not so sure extra bank holidays would be good for the NHS. I have to go to work sometimes on bank holidays. The pay is good and must cost the NHS a fortune, especially as it attracts ALL sorts of agency staff who have to be paid a fortune for work, board and travel expenses and then brag about the tax loophole which means they hardly pay any ☹️. All wrong. 

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

All these comments are adding to the weight of evidence that Bank Holidays should be abandoned in favour of an extra week's leave!!!

Noooooooo! I am self employed so would lose out financially but the thought of a few extra Bank Holidays cheers me up no end.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Piccolo said:

Well I'm not so sure extra bank holidays would be good for the NHS. I have to go to work sometimes on bank holidays. The pay is good and must cost the NHS a fortune, especially as it attracts ALL sorts of agency staff who have to be paid a fortune for work, board and travel expenses and then brag about the tax loophole which means they hardly pay any ☹️. All wrong. 

My father was a nurse.  He did full time shifts, and everyone worked Bank Holidays as part of the their normal work pattern, with no such thing as extra pay.  You were only allowed the day off if you took it as part of your ordinary holiday allowance, or your normal day off happened to fall on the Bank Holiday.  For those who wanted to take a holiday on those days, it was done on strict rotation i.e. if you had taken the Whit Monday off, you couldn't have the August Bank Holiday.  So there was never any need to hire extra staff for cover.  

The only exception was Christmas Day, where I believe all staff on duty were paid extra money, as a sort of seasonal bonus.  And those whose normal day off fell on that day often used to try and swap with others, because the extra money outweighed everything else!  

...the problem we have is that we are always terribly short staffed. The agency staff are only interested in working the shifts that pay well including the bank holidays. That is when they make themselves available to work. Consequently, the rest of us have to cover the other shifts.

We are having some replastering done at home and have packed everything away, apart from the tv and comfy chairs. Last night I had nothing to do so I watched a new game show called Big Heads. For those unlucky enough to have missed it, the idea is that contestants compete for a prize of £10,000 whilst wearing oversized heads in the image of famous people. Last night was an eclectic but instantly recognisable line up of Trump, May, Einstein, Adele, Camilla D of C, Simon Cowell and Mo Farah. The intellectual level of the proceedings is on a par with It's a Knockout. A winning formula as people repeatedly falling or being knocked over and getting wet seems to cause endless - almost hysterical - merriment. Well, us simple folk like it.;)

Truth is generally stranger than fiction, but I have to admit that I was amused by the sight of "The Donald" dressed in a wee Willie Winkie nightshirt and with his underpants round his ankles, being chased by a giant shark. Mrs May was knocked out in the early rounds and the whole thing went on for an hour , so at least half an hour too long.

Can't wait for next week's exciting episode.

• Like 2