How would a corps de ballet Ballerina stand out?

MageFilms

I'm writing a short screenplay for a film. It will be centred around an ethnic minority who starts off within the corps.

I find the idea of the corps de ballet so interesting.

You have a group of dancers who must be indistinguishable, uniform ....basically the exact same. You see how being the only ethnic minority might make this formation problematic ? ha

So how does one progress from corps to soloist? What are directors looking for? If they're essentially not trying to 'see' anything

I wonder if it's what they do in class/in other roles? I took my DD to see the St Petersburg Ballet touring Swan Lake in NZ in January, and it was very noticeable (from the second row of the Stalls!) that many in the corps were not very interested in being swans. The ones who were 'performing' still fitted in but had expressive faces.

Even in a ballet like Swan Lake, the corps dancers will be doing other parts in other acts – in Swan Lake, character dances, pas de trois, for example – as well as perhaps understudying. I'm sure there's plenty of chance to be 'spotted', in class or on stage!

6 hours ago, MageFilms said:

You have a group of dancers who must be indistinguishable, uniform ....basically the exact same. You see how being the only ethnic minority might make this formation problematic ? ha

There are plenty of Asian, Latina and a fair number of black dancers in corps, and audiences happily absorb such superficial visual anomalies in the same way that they happily accepted Carlos Acosta as a masked Romeo being unrecognisable at the ball when he is the only non-white guy in Verona.  I think that barrier has long been broken in Europe and the US.   I imagine that does vary by country however, I couldn't comment on the Russian companies for example.

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, angel said:

I saw this posted this on FB http://www.dancemagazine.com/is-ballet-brown-bagging-it-2343051742.html  Thought provoking 

It is interesting, though I think largely written from a US perspective where race just seems still to be a bigger deal than it is here in the UK.  I wonder also whether Frankie Hayward really spends much time thinking of herself as a 'black ballerina' as described there. She is mixed race and has been brought up by her white grandparents, and her reputation here is all around her talent and her beauty; she doesn't get picked out as some kind of race ambassador.   My children are mixed race in a largely white family environment and it just doesn't come up in tier daily professional or social lives. Depending on environment of course but I think that sometimes race is a bigger deal for 'outsiders' looking in than the people involved..

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

There are plenty of Asian, Latina and a fair number of black dancers in corps, and audiences happily absorb such superficial visual anomalies in the same way that they happily accepted Carlos Acosta as a masked Romeo being unrecognisable at the ball when he is the only non-white guy in Verona.  I think that barrier has long been broken in Europe and the US.   I imagine that does vary by country however, I couldn't comment on the Russian companies for example.

Russian companies have always been multi ethnic, at least since Soviet times, as the USSR incorporated so much of Asia. 

• Like 1

I think while it may not be as much of an issue in the UK, there aren't any films that cover this.

Ive never heard of a leading role for a black actress in a ballet film, for any kind of role.

Looking the majority of images of corps, I don't see any black girls.

the film I'm writing is satire but also trying to stay away from cliches so looking for new perspectives to showcase within film.

Im mainly trying to stay away from the usual bitchy, obsessive portrayal of ballet that's been seen 100s of times.

Edited by MageFilms

Apparently, in Russia dancers are identified as potential soloists and principals when they enter the companies and are coached and nurtured accordingly. In the UK no such system officially exists but it's clear that some dancers are singled out and given opportunities in featured roles soon after joining the company. Some dancers are recognised as being exceptional whilst they are still at school and seem to arrive with the expectation (by the company) that they will progress through the ranks. I've heard it said that companies like to recruit a mixture of dancers destined for the corps and dancers with the potential to become soloists and principals but I don't know whether that's true or not. 

I'm assuming that ballet class is where corps dancers have their best opportunity to be noticed for named roles and then promotion. I remember during the first ballet day when they streamed an entire class on youtube, you definitely for the impression Valentino Zucchetti was using it as an opportunity to show off his skills (possibly for the audience more than the staff but still).

In the Paris Opera Ballet, promotions are made based on an open competition so dancers aren't limited by the roles they've already been given.

2 hours ago, MageFilms said:

Ive never heard of a leading role for a black actress in a ballet film, for any kind of role.

Can't think of one in a fiction film.  However, the 'reality' film First Position strongly featured the young Michaela de Prince, and MGM has since acquired the rights to her biography. Misty Copeland is also the subject of a dedicated documentary film, where her race is prominent in the discussion  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4504040/

A belated welcome to the forum, MageFilms.

Taking your second question first: I'm not aware that it has happened, and I can imagine any such attempt incurring the wrath of the unions.  (It was said, though, that Ross Stretton was wanting to demote some dancers during his ill-starred Directorship of the Royal Ballet).  On the other hand, since casting is generally in the hands of the Artistic Director, he/she is perfectly able not to cast dancers in appropriate roles if he/she chooses.  It's debatable whether that could be construed as constructive dismissal.

With regard to your original question, if you're UK-based, can I suggest that you take a look on BBC iPlayer at the documentary on Giselle screened last Sunday?  It shows some portions of the second act of English National Ballet's production of Giselle, and features two "chocolate" (as Dance Magazine has it) ballerinas, one in the corps of Wilis, and one in the major role of Myrtha.  Seeing how it works out in practice might give you some ideas.

Well, I'm sure that class and rehearsal behaviour do play important parts in promotions, but I can think of many dancers  (e.g. the delightful Anna Rose O'Sullivan) who have always blended wonderfully in corps dances but who also clearly stood out as having potential for larger roles. For me it's almost always a matter of artistry, not kicking their legs higher than the rest.

Edited by Yaffa
Edited for clarity
  • Like 4

On 4/6/2017 at 17:57, MageFilms said:

Centre Stage comes to mind for me. While Jodie is the pretty blonde lead, it's an ensemble film and Zoe Saldana as Eva Rodriguez gets what I would consider a secondary lead role. What I enjoy about it is that she is unequivocally one of the best dancer in the fictional school and her blackness is never in issue, although you could likely make an argument that her attitude (which is a central issue in her storyline) is derived from her background.

While the film is far from perfect and the same arguments of the 'paper bag test' could be raised, I think it directly contradicts the idea that there are no black storylines in ballet films (though I'd love to see a lot more!)

• Like 1

It's complicated; racial discrimination in Ballet is alive & well in post millennium Britain & DD has been in receipt of it

When buying her first pointshoes

When attending workshops and courses

When auditioning for ft college (Mt not ballet)

But then there are the auditions she will go for that the white dancer can't

The Andrew Lloyd webber foundation report that came out in dec

The subsidised lessons 'because she's black' to mis-quote Lenny Henry!

Have you thought about how your dancer got that far?

• Like 1

So i write this as one who spent a good deal of time in the corps - achieving 2 promotions for this work and then also getting to perform soloist roles and the Clarain the Nutcracker.

This is the reality:

As a corps de ballet member its the very day to day attitude to learning, always being fit and ready and willing to work, knowing ALL the places, being thrown in to a new role with no problems ( i went in for cygnets five minutes before curtain up - that was my first promotion!), staying for extra rehearsals that you aren't even cast for (a big way to get noticed) - never getting in the way but quietly showing that you are more than capable!

It can be long and arduous, frustrating as large companies are extremely quick to put dancers in boxes. Even Masha Kotechkova (principal now with San Fran) had to go through the corps stuff - it was almost used as a form of punishment if someone came to the company assuming they would do more. 

Unfortunately the frustration leads much talent to leave as only a couple get 'chosen' and they then do 'everything'! The others may learn a role but to always be 4th cast can become soul destroying. You have to have the guts to ask sometimes. 

Once i was in brackets for finger fairy in beauty. I asked what this meant "oh well, you can learn it, but you wont perform it". I then asked a ballet master to see me do it in the studio - I was then on in the first week of shows!!!! Boxes...........

Often a smaller company in Europe will be a happier, less frustrating place for a ballet dancer to work.

Re ethnic minorities - not an issue today.

Much more to add but wont bore you! x

• Like 9

I can't agree that ethnic minorities - not an issue.  

Classical ballet companies, vocational schools and the people at the top of them, will all have their own ingrained views on what a classical dancer looks like.  Physical attributes are by default an integral part of decision making.  Of all the thousands of ballet dancers we all know of, there are very few black female dancers who make it to companies in Europe.

Mummy twinkle toes, I am hoping that you didn't mean that Ballet Black, much as I admire their work, is the only place for 'ethnic dancers'?

• Like 3

It will be centred around an ethnic minority who starts off within the corps

Also, unless this is a minority of one it will have to be a really big corps to include the whole ethnic minority. I suspect the character is meant to be a person?

On 4/14/2017 at 14:44, Mummy twinkle toes said:

Angel,

i did not state Ballet Black is the only company for ethnic dancers, if you read my post correctly.

Your sentence seemed, to me, to be implying that Ballet Black is where the ethnic dancers should go. That's why I asked the question.

I realise that this is an emotive topic.  However, it is always important to challenge racism.  

I am not suggesting that you or anyone else here, is being racist; I just feel that, as a parent of two young dancers who have potential in classical ballet but may well choose a different route eventually because of the issues raised by the OP, that this issue doesn't remain taboo.  

Google told me (is which may or may not be based on reality!) that 3% of the uk is made up of 'black' minorities and 8% Asian/ oriental. So maybe the percentages in companies are not out of kilter? Particularly for the Asian/ oriental category there may be a higher percentage in ballet companies than in the general population? 

• Like 1

Angel it would be very sad if your beautiful dds weren't employed because of their ethnicity. 

I have only seen your younger dd dance (some yrs ago) and her dancing stood out, nothing else. (Well I lie a bit because her skin tone is very attractive but you know what I mean!)

• Like 1

Although not ballet, I saw Disney's new Beauty & the Beast on Friday; the opening dance was a lovely example of diversity (there did seem to be a bit of "matching pairs" going on, but still....i must see it again)

DD commented on how diverse the film was, but a friend didn't notice which I thought was nice as it seemed normal to them

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sarahw said:

Angel it would be very sad if your beautiful dds weren't employed because of their ethnicity. 

I have only seen your younger dd dance (some yrs ago) and her dancing stood out, nothing else. (Well I lie a bit because her skin tone is very attractive but you know what I mean!)

Thank you for saying that sarahw.  The fact is that so few of the children hoping for classical contracts will get one anyway.  My hope and theirs is that they can find employment. The next few years will be interesting :unsure::)