The Royal Ballet: Jewels, April 2017

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I will start!  Wow, what an impressive way to begin this run of Jewels.  The company is commemorating the 50th anniversary of this ballet, and I do hope that Mr B is looking down from on high to see ballet heaven being created here on earth.

Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball made beautiful debuts in Emeralds;  you would never guess that this was their first performance if you didn't know.  The natural ease with which they dance together is becoming more apparent with each performance, and it would seem that they can do anything, and do it with emotion, great technique and pure joy.  Itziar Mendizabal was lovely as 'the second girl', and she was ably partnered by Nicol Edmonds.  

Rubies was great fun, and so well cast.  Akane Takada was just superb;  she had the right attitude but her beautiful arms lent a softness to the role that complemented the required sassiness just perfectly.  A revelation.  Another revelation was Tierney Heap as the solo girl.  Again, she had the right spirit and her attack was most impressive.  Alexander Campbell had great fun and showed us all what he can do;  what I liked particularly about his performance was that although he was 'the guy', he still made sure it was an ensemble piece, including the other four guys by little looks or nods as if to say 'come on, we are all in this together'.  

Then, as if the afternoon couldn't have got any better, we had Lauren Cuthbertson and Vadim Muntagirov in Diamonds.  What a lyrical and purely classical couple they make.  They were so good together in Two Pigeons, and here is another example of why they should be forming a regular partnership.  Vadim is such a considerate partner as well as being a virtuoso dancer, but you always feel that with him the virtuosic dancing has a point to it other than 'look at me, aren't I fab'.  Lauren is in great form, as her recent Aurora attests (one of the best performances of that role I have ever seen by anybody, anywhere), and here she showed what a beautiful dancer she is, and again is one of those rare artists who can convince totally in all kinds of roles and styles of dance.  She is a joy to watch, and if she isn't cast with Vadim in next year's Swan Lake I will be one very annoyed punter!!  

The whole ballet was very well supported by the dancers of a company in fine form, who shone and sparkled like the gems they were emulating.  

• Like 22

I was at the matinée today. I was really quite overcome (again) at the sheer brilliance of Balanchine. Such a feast of the most gorgeous choreography to the most beautiful music. Naghdi and Ball were smooth, romantic and lyrical in Emeralds, and so many beautiful arms everywhere!! Dreamlike elegance, especially from Itziar Mendizabal. Rubies was thrilling, with Alexander Campbell funny, sassy and technically brilliant and Tierney Heap the epitome of glamour. I thought that Takada danced very strongly and elegantly, but without allowing her personality to come through; for me it was Heap who blazed off the stage. Diamonds was positively joyful as it built and built to its great climax. Cuthbertson and Muntagirov were on superb form with great support from the rest of the cast. I think that dancing The Sleeping Beauty so recently was a good preparation for this work. A wonderful performance.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Sim said:

Ok, I will start!  Wow, what an impressive way to begin this run of Jewels.  The company is commemorating the 50th anniversary of this ballet, and I do hope that Mr B is looking down from on high to see ballet heaven being created here on earth.

Funny you should say that, Sim - I was so moved by the performance that at the end of it I offered up my thanks to Mr B in heaven! (I fully trust that's where he is.)

Very much agree with your comments. So much wonderful dancing! If I was forced to choose one desert island ballet (impossible prospect), this would be high up on the list of candidates.

• Like 2

OK Sim and Bridiem, I feel chastised (deservedly so) by your reviews! I am not sure what made me think I could get away with going to see a single performance of Jewels. Friday Rush can't come too soon as I definitely need a ticket to see that cast as well. To be fair. I did have a rehearsal ticket that I returned because I was forced to schedule an interview on the same day but then they rescheduled ? after I'd already taken the ticket in.   

Can't wait to hear how this evening's (1/4) cast got on.

• Like 3

I agree with every word Sim wrote; I floated all the way home to Liverpool.

I think this piece is a real test for the corps, many of whom appeared in all three segments and all of which are in noticeably different styles.  And they are sparkled like the gems they were portraying.

I particularly like the quiet elegance of Emeralds and as well as the three leads it was a joy for me to see Isabella Gasparini shining in the pas de trois.  She stood out for me amongst the corps in the other jewels too.  Of course, I loved Rubies!  And Diamonds was the perfect end to a perfect afternoon.

This was the only performance I could see of this run (unless I can get to the cinema relay) but it was a blummin' good one to see!

It was good to have brief catchups with so many ballet chums and forum members too.  Sorry to have missed some of you.

• Like 6

A truly wonderful afternoon and it seemed like the audience felt the same.  Jewels is a  ballet I've come to late in life but it blazed in splendour today.

Specifically, Yasmine and Matthew absolutely wonderful although I do wonder if this is actually the role for her.  Seems to me it requires a sort of icy imperiousness which is not Naghdi's personality, but wonderful nevertheless particularly her exquisite arms.  I felt that Itziar and Nicol were more 'naturals' for this ballet as they have that cold dignity that I feel the ballet requires. I was entranced by the reaction of the little girls sitting in the row infront who never moved a muscle other than to go 'oh' and 'ah' at all the right moments.

Rubies was an amazing contrast with Tierney Heap raditating electricity and, for me, dominating the proceedings. Akane and Mr. Campbell completely on form and well-matched although not a natural pairing but I don't suppose it matters in this piece.

Diamonds was sublime.  Would I be right in thinking that Matthew Golding was destined for Muntagirov's role?  Whatever, everything worked beautifully and as an ensemble piece it was perfect.  I have wondered before if there is nothing Muntagirov can't do.  He appears to dance on a cloud, leaping and twirling with incredible lightnesss.  I wonder how he will develop because at the moment for me he lacks the physicality that some parts demand but in this he and Lauren were spellbinding.

Thanks to all the cast - horrified to realise it was all happening again tonight with, presumably some of the corps having to repeat their performance.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

A truly wonderful afternoon and it seemed like the audience felt the same.  Jewels is a  ballet I've come to late in life but it blazed in splendour today.

Specifically, Yasmine and Matthew absolutely wonderful although I do wonder if this is actually the role for her.  Seems to me it requires a sort of icy imperiousness which is not Naghdi's personality, but wonderful nevertheless particularly her exquisite arms.  I felt that Itziar and Nicol were more 'naturals' for this ballet as they have that cold dignity that I feel the ballet requires. I was entranced by the reaction of the little girls sitting in the row infront who never moved a muscle other than to go 'oh' and 'ah' at all the right moments.

Rubies was an amazing contrast with Tierney Heap raditating electricity and, for me, dominating the proceedings. Akane and Mr. Campbell completely on form and well-matched although not a natural pairing but I don't suppose it matters in this piece.

Diamonds was sublime.  Would I be right in thinking that Matthew Golding was destined for Muntagirov's role? 

I don't think so - Muntagirov was cast with Lauren in Diamonds from the beginning.

Edited to say that I actually deleted most of the quote except the relevant bit about Golding but the new software seems to have restored it all after I submitted my post! Will take some getting used to.....

Edited by Balletfanp

28 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Would I be right in thinking that Matthew Golding was destined for Muntagirov's role?  

Golding was paired with Lamb and is now replaced by Hirano.

Hamilton is the solo girl in the first cast of Rubies.

I agree with those above who felt that the matinee performance got Jewels off to a wonderful start.

• Like 1

I think that quite a few members of the audience yesterday evening will have been wondering about Hamilton's status in relation to the company. At present it is far from clear whether her performances in Rubies mark a return to the company or whether they are a series of  farewell performances. No doubt all will be revealed in due course.

I have to say that "imperious" is not a word that I would have applied to any of the roles in Emeralds or to the mood which Balanchine intended to evoke when he made the ballet. .Emeralds is a  ballet of mood as much as it is an evocation of the approach to ballet of the French school with its emphasis on effortless elegance, precision,clarity,beauty, apparent simplicity and politesse,formal politeness and etiquette.The dancers display a certain reticence but I think that is in part because of the formality displayed in the choreography and in part because at least one of the female leads is engaged in a reverie and seems to be recalling past encounters as she dances on her own.

If Emeralds is cool and distant at times,it is because the choreography requires the dancers to observe the rules and etiquette of the school he is evoking. I think that we always have to remember that each of the ballets which make up Jewels represent Balanchine's understanding of the school he is evoking and his response to it. The great days of the French school lie in the past so perhaps we should not be surprised that Emeralds hints at melancholy and suggests that the dancers are at times engaged in a mysterious ritual.In a fine performance it almost seems to be a sort of balletic " a la recherche du temps perdu " . I don't think that I would ever have thought that the "distancing" which I think we are expected to experience in Emeralds hints at  any element of imperiousness,arrogance or haughtiness but then we all see things differently.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 3

Saw both opening RB performances of Jewels and was now as before bedazzled by the breath of Balanchine’s genius.  As always his is a genuinely original telling of the dance of the music. 

I witnessed the matinee from a T perch in the Amphi and the evening from the relative luxury of a D lean in the Stall Circle (both standing).  My personal preference is above – not only – as some have suggested – to be as closer to Mr. B himself – but also – looking down – to share in the delight of the overall experience.  Diamonds may well be a woman’s best friend but certainly were this man’s better one from on high.  The intricate radiance of their collective glitter from that standpoint is supreme.

Naghdi and Ball stunningly wove their now accustomed magic throughout the strands of Emeralds’ pungency.  His solo variation was courtliness personified; discerningly so.  Her smile’s reflection did more than beam it irradiated every bit as much as Stix-Brunell’s engulfed the evening’s flow with a richly potent perfume.  Nowhere was this more notable than in Stix-Brunell’s solo where the scintillation of her arduous eyes flashed in the imagined reflection and sensual lustre of her own fingers’ glitz.  Lovely too to witness Morera s(h)immer in the telling maturity of her own incandescence’s stroll. 

In suitable contrast Rubies flashed in the razzle dazzle of its own sharp-witted, jocular awe:  Ever jocose.  Aptly it yelled out in a voice more clinquant that piquant.  The RB happily painted such rightfully red with Campbell being an audacious chip off Balanchine’s brazen block and the animated jubilance of McRae’s pristine undulations bringing him back home to his (and our own) just delight.  [Can’t wait to see Sambe leap from the side to centre in this one.]  Saturday’s trotting roll in the park with either Alex and Steven was bathed in the grinning delight of Zuchetti’s cheshire grin every bit as much as through or round the H-bomb gams of either Heap or Hamilton.  Explosive.

Wrapping all other shades in one sensational compound Diamonds transfused in the felicitous rhapsody of its own Elysium.  Nunez’ Diana was shot through with the beatitude of her smile’s bolt while Cuthbertson’s built more in the euphoric shadow of Farrell’s cool.  Whereas Soares lumbered dutifully Muntagirov transported with the refined delicacy of his own winged feet; ever fleet in their exaltation of the balletic art form. 

No wonder audiences were left calling out for more. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

I was at the dress rehearsal earlier this week - here are some photos:

33742757986_0791a23e0a_z.jpg
Emeralds: Mariko Sasaki, Grace Blundell
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

32970695173_36f2521c8b_z.jpg
Rubies: Melissa Hamilton

33783564495_9265dba46f_z.jpg
Diamonds: Thiago Soares, Marianela Nuñez

See more...

Set from DanceTabs: RB - Jewels (2017)
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

By kind permission of the Royal Opera House

• Like 6

• John Mallinson changed the title to The Royal Ballet: Jewels, April 2017
8 hours ago, FLOSS said:

I think that quite a few members of the audience yesterday evening will have been wondering about Hamilton's status in relation to the company. At present it is far from clear whether her performances in Rubies mark a return to the company or whether they are a series of  farewell performances. No doubt all will be revealed in due course.

I have to say that "imperious" is not a word that I would have applied to any of the roles in Emeralds or to the mood which Balanchine intended to evoke when he made the ballet. .Emeralds is a  ballet of mood as much as it is an evocation of the approach to ballet of the French school with its emphasis on effortless elegance, precision,clarity,beauty, apparent simplicity and politesse,formal politeness and etiquette.The dancers display a certain reticence but I think that is in part because of the formality displayed in the choreography and in part because at least one of the female leads is engaged in a reverie and seems to be recalling past encounters as she dances on her own.

If Emeralds is cool and distant at times,it is because the choreography requires the dancers to observe the rules and etiquette of the school he is evoking. I think that we always have to remember that each of the ballets which make up Jewels represent Balanchine's understanding of the school he is evoking and his response to it. The great days of the French school lie in the past so perhaps we should not be surprised that Emeralds hints at melancholy and suggests that the dancers are at times engaged in a mysterious ritual.In a fine performance it almost seems to be a sort of balletic " a la recherche du temps perdu " . I don't think that I would ever have thought that the "distancing" which I think we are expected to experience in Emeralds hints at  any element of imperiousness,arrogance or haughtiness but then we all see things differently.

Okay, I'm hung out to dry on my use of the word imperious!  Perhaps cool elegance would be more apt, but as an amateur without the knowledge that you have, I can only call it as I see it.  Naghdi and Ball were as wonderful as they always are, I was simply articulating that I don't think this is Yasmine's most natural role which does not imply any criticism towards a fabulous performance.  For me, and possibly only me, she is a light as air joyful nymph with a smiling persona that is a dream to watch.  However, Emeralds is IMHO (and I emphasise the humble,) a piece of icy elegance which, yesterday was best personified by Mendizabal and Edmonds.

I should also have said that in Rubies, Alexander Campbell brought a powerful physicality to the role which exactly suited him.

Loved it all and loved that the audience loved it.  A joyful afternoon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

I was at the dress rehearsal earlier this week - here are some photos:

33742757986_0791a23e0a_z.jpg
Emeralds: Mariko Sasaki, Grace Blundell

32970695173_36f2521c8b_z.jpg
Rubies: Melissa Hamilton

33783564495_9265dba46f_z.jpg
Diamonds: Thiago Soares, Marianela Nuñez

See more...

Set from DanceTabs: RB - Jewels (2017)
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

By kind permission of the Royal Opera House

• Like 2

Really enjoyed the matinee yesterday and considering it was the first performance of the run it seemed to go perfectly imho! I would concur with everyone else's comments.  Stand outs for me were Yasmine Naghdi in Emeralds and Vadim Muntagirov in Diamonds - I am so impressed with these 2 dancers lately.  Alexander Campbell just had loads of FUN with Rubies and therefore he was fun to watch:)  A few pics from the curtain calls- anyone know why there were no red runs yesterday - such a shame?  Unfortunately this new forum format will not play and let me insert images so here are links instead.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8Zlj2aXYAAg2mS.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8ZkVpzW0AEeYAS.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8ZmQFXXsAAkkWC.jpg

Edited - oops found out it will allow pics see next posts sorry out of running order!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

Really enjoyed the matinee yesterday and considering it was the first performance of the run it seemed to go perfectly imho! I would concur with everyone else's comments.  Stand outs for me were Yasmine Naghdi in Emeralds and Vadim Muntagirov in Diamonds - I am so impressed with these 2 dancers lately.  Alexander Campbell just had loads of FUN with Rubies and therefore he was fun to watch:)  A few pics from the curtain calls- anyone know why there were no red runs yesterday - such a shame?  Unfortunately this new forum format will not play and let me insert images so here are links instead.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8Zlj2aXYAAg2mS.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8ZkVpzW0AEeYAS.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8ZmQFXXsAAkkWC.jpg

Thank you so much, Don Q Fan! Lovely reminders of a great afternoon.

• Like 3

Saw Jewels again last night.  (Couldn't resist.  What a gift.  Such an act - or three - of pure sagacity!  Bless you, Mr. B!) 

Won't go on - but a few notes.  There was for me at least one standout in each act.  

In EMERALDS - no question - the primary return from my perspective - and from the sound of the cheers that of many others - was Hayward's debut as the second female principal.  She was entirely ravishing.  Not since Stephanie Saland have I seen such an inspiring account of the luxury of that prolonged solo, so rich in the fabric of its narrative.  The PDT too was excellent replete with Richardson's svelte placement (another possible principal in the waiting methinks), Stock being stoically Gallic with in her sense of passion at a tantalising remove and O'Sullivan - Oh, O'Sullivan - greeting the expectation of her audience with - as ever - the ecstatic animation of her feet as much as her dazzling eyes.  This girl has a fine line in inspiration and does much more than merely waft.  

In RUBIES Sambe was naught but unmitigated joy.  Make way Mr. McRae.  Your peg must now be shared.  Last night Sambe OWNED IT.  He over-awed in the manner of its originator, Edward Villella - who you can still see for free (on video) in this assignment in the Lincoln Center Library.  Sambe's easy wit blinded; he hypnotised with his stealth and fascinated in his red-star precision (an advantage not shared by Ms. Storm-Jensen in the female soloist role.  As in her Lilac Fairy solo she filled the costume fantastically but her technique was not sufficiently strong to make for an always easy focus - so crucial here - and her musicality last night was - at often best - questionable.)  Now I SO want to see Sambe scamper aside those  inebriating leaps of flying faith that are (and can be) Osipova, Hayward and O'Sullivan.  There is so, SO much to look forward to.  

In DIAMONDS Lamb's Diana commanded with extraordinary aplomb.  The equanimity of her poise glistened throughout.  How lucky the Company is to have her amongst its ranks.  Last night - no question - she was a jewel in its ever more heady climb.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 7

I have one rather trivial query about the costumes in Rubies. I found it rather distracting that when the petals (can't think of a better description) of the skirts of the women fly up as they tend to, it becomes obvious that the underside is not made of the same red material red but a greeny-grey colour. It's noticeable in the picture of Hamilton above. Surely it would have looked better if the underside was red too ? At the time I wondered if it was some sort of costume malfunction and the interlining was coming out. But I assume it mus be original and deliberate as the Trust are supposed to be very picky about the costumes for this work.  I just wondered if anyone else was similarly distracted, as I don't remember this detail from the last run. 

I very much enjoyed the performance but I'm still curious about this. 

that 'gold' finish on the underside of the petals has always been there and is the colour the Balanchine Trust insist on. I suppose it gives a stark contrast to the ruby costumes, to give the desired effect of highlighting the twirling. My guess anyway!

• Like 2

I had a question about the costumes.  I understand that the Balanchine Trust is very prescriptive and the NYCB (after the very first performances), Royal and Mariinsky productions all have the same, or extremely similar, costumes.  However, there are several videos on youtube of the POB (including versions with Aurelie Dupont and Diana Vishneva in the Rubies pdd) dancing the ballet in quite different costumes - the women's outfit for rubies has a short skirt instead of 'petals' and no jewels across the chest, the man's tunic doesn't have the swinging bits around his hips. Does anyone know whether the Trust at some point granted POB permission to redesign their production?