The Royal Ballet: Jewels, April 2017

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very disappointed to have missed the cinema relay, but unfortunately it clashed with two other things, and a girl can only be in one place at a time, even when 2 of the things are in more or less the same place :(   And the repeats are on Easter Sunday, which is disappointing.

Agree with comments on the camera work - in Rubies in particular there were too many close-ups at moments when I wanted to see the whole stage.  I would also respectfully disagree about the presenters - Ore is very professional and Kristen McNally looked beautiful, but I'm afraid that I find her gushing style of "interviewing" really irritating.  

Her questions to the designer included "Surely everyone must agree that the sets and costumes for this ballet are absolutely perfect?"  I know this is not the forum for hard-hitting questioning but still!  What is the poor guy even supposed to say in response to that? That section and all the bits with Kevin O'Hare felt like an orgy of self-congratulation.  

And I actually think the set design is the weakest point of the RB's Jewels - the set for Rubies in particular looks like a low budget 1980s TV quiz show....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Agree with comments on the camera work - in Rubies in particular there were too many close-ups at moments when I wanted to see the whole stage.  I would also respectfully disagree about the presenters - Ore is very professional and Kristen McNally looked beautiful, but I'm afraid that I find her gushing style of "interviewing" really irritating.  

Her questions to the designer included "Surely everyone must agree that the sets and costumes for this ballet are absolutely perfect?"  I know this is not the forum for hard-hitting questioning but still!  What is the poor guy even supposed to say in response to that? That section and all the bits with Kevin O'Hare felt like an orgy of self-congratulation.  

And I actually think the set design is the weakest point of the RB's Jewels - the set for Rubies in particular looks like a low budget 1980s TV quiz show....

I didn't see the screening so I can't comment on the presenters, but I do agree that in general for these screenings there is far too much gushing about how brilliant and wonderful it all is; that, frankly, is for the spectators to judge, not the presenters. It's fine to explain why works, or performers, are famous or respected etc, and to give plenty of context and background. But if the works/performances are brilliant, they will be seen to be so. (Having said that, I do generally enjoy the interviews etc simply because it's fun to see the people involved.)

• Like 4

Enjoyed seeing the first cast at the cinema although I found the camera work frustrating, too close to the dancers as usual, also wish there were more views from above, missed the outstanding corps work that I saw on Saturday, but a great way to see a different set of dancers. Beatriz Stix-Brunell and Valeri Hristov were particularly romantic in Emeralds, and the 3 men were very intense at the end, I found it strangely moving.

Nice to see Melissa Hamilton back, the filming couldn't really capture the speed of Sarah Lamb and Steven McRae from so close up, but could see enough to be dazzled!

The highlight of the evening though was the Diamonds pdd, Marianela Nunez and Thiago Soares captured the heart of ballet itself, what a shame the ROH says there will not be a DVD, their performance deserves one.

I found the presenting rather irritating, possibly because there was so much interval time to cover, come back Darcey (glad she is only on holiday), wish they would concentrate on the evening's ballet and not on future transmissions, but liked seeing Beatriz Stix-Brunell trying on the costume!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, alison said:

Very disappointed to have missed the cinema relay, but unfortunately it clashed with two other things, and a girl can only be in one place at a time, even when 2 of the things are in more or less the same place :(   And the repeats are on Easter Sunday, which is disappointing.

The repeat is scheduled for the 18th near me (Stratford, East London) if that's any use.  I was thinking of going and can get 2 for 1 tickets if anyone else wants to go.

Linda

I saw it at the cinema last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've got to say I thought Kristen McNally did a really nice job and was a vast improvement on Darcey for me.  Although I like Darcey and think she does a good job when she presents TV shows etc, I really don't think she's very well suited to the live presenting.  She seems very nervous the whole time and fluffs lines a lot whereas Kristen nailed it.

Anyway, I thought Beatriz Stix-Brunell was the stand out in Emeralds.  I thought every movement she made was just beautiful.

Rubies was a really great team effort- everything just came together brilliantly and I really enjoyed McRae/Lamb together.  Usually they don't really do it for me when they are dancing together but I think Rubies is really well suited to their partnership and plays to their strengths.

Diamonds was gorgeous and Marianela was perfection (I don't think she's capable of giving an average performance!), not so sure on Soares- I don't think it was his strongest night. 

I think I actually enjoyed Emeralds the most out of the three which was a surprise as Rubies is usually my favourite but the whole feeling/mood of the piece was so well captured that I ended up being swept up in it.

I thought the whole company looked on really top form...

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Anna C said:

No self-satisfaction from Mcrae that I could see, just joy at the choreo and the fun of it all. 

Just out of tonight's performance, Lamb/McRae stepped in instead of Takada/Campbell in Rubies. This was my fifth (?) time this run - including the General and the Russian gala a few weeks ago - of seeing McRae do Rubies. I would say that tonight - while being just as technically dazzling as ever, rightly eliciting cheers and bursts of applause - it seemed almost as if he has been reading the irked comments on here and adjusting accordingly. Less constant smiling, except when "in character" and towards the end, and this made a good impression. 

Vadim, on the other hand, seemed more smiley than I have ever seen him - and that in turn suited him. Made for more of a personality. 

In any case, another great night. 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Lindsay said:

I actually think the set design is the weakest point of the RB's Jewels - the set for Rubies in particular looks like a low budget 1980s TV quiz show....

Sorry Lindsay, don't agree with you on this (as it happens I spent some of the 1980s working on a low budget TV quiz show): I find all three acts elegant and cleverly designed. On at least some performances this run, the audience has applauded at the opening of an act, in part in response to the glamour of the setting.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 3

I agree with Geoff...another great night tonight, with the three beautiful partnerships of Naghdi/Ball, Lamb/McRae and Cuthbertson/Muntagirov on exquisite show.  How lucky we are!  The whole company in great form, and may I add my regrets to those already expressed that they won't be dancing one Balanchine piece next season.  Symphony in C and Serenade please in 2018/19, Mr O'Hare!

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Sim said:

I agree with Geoff...another great night tonight, with the three beautiful partnerships of Naghdi/Ball, Lamb/McRae and Cuthbertson/Muntagirov on exquisite show.  How lucky we are!  The whole company in great form, and may I add my regrets to those already expressed that they won't be dancing one Balanchine piece next season.  Symphony in C and Serenade please in 2018/19, Mr O'Hare!

Yes! I've never seen Serenade and am longing to. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sim said:

Symphony in C and Serenade please in 2018/19, Mr O'Hare!

Yes, they would have been on my wish list for the coming season too, so hopefully they will appear next season now.

Just to add my praise for last night's Jewels performers - they all seem to be getting better with each show. Emeralds never fails to gently grip my being - I could almost go home once its finished! Thought all the leads were lovely last night; Ms Mendizabal and Mr Edmonds were very fine in their duet. The pdt trio of Mr Acri, the radiant Ms Gasparini, the glowing Ms Hinkis, were all a joy to watch - but as others have said, the pairing of Ms Naghdi and Mr Ball was sublime. And praise for the corps too, all moving with such grace. Rubies then does the equivalent of ka-pow! after its almost serene start. Both Ms Lamb and Mr McRae fizzled and sizzled with energetic grace - and Ms Heap as the lone woman defied us not to be wowed. And wowed we were! Diamonds is not my favourite of the three, because of the somewhat muddling final section, but do love the opening sequence with the corps, and who can't love the long pdd in section two. Ms Cuthbertson was serene - and no praise can be high enough for Mr Muntagirov, he was simply sensational. Special mention too for Emma Maguire as one of the four female soloists; its always a pleasure to watch her dance.

Can't wait to see it all again now - though have to wait until after the Easter spring clean (which will make a trip to the ballet all the more deserved for me!)

• Like 8

Thanks so, Dave.  Excellent review.

I too love this ballet - but always have - from the times when I first saw it with a goodly number of the original cast still in place.  The drama in its music is gloriously mined in the choreography's narrative.  In that sense it is like the best of the long narrative poems by Shakespeare, say 'The Complaisant Lover'.  

Last night Naghdi glowed with added nuance.  Her demeanour offered a greater variety than I'd seen before and the solo was much enhanced - which is only as it should be.  It also struck me last night just how much she looks like a young Lourdes Lopez (not I'm sure that this comment will mean much to many here).  Ball's performance remains exquisite.  What a jewel in this fine crown he has become.  Agree re: Gasparini, she is a telling artist and yet another to be much valued.  Wanted to add a certain shout-out for Leo Dixon who more than held his own amongst the other three of the established male quartet in Rubies.  He has a lovely line and that chiselled smile always responds with mindful taste.  (Why by the bye are the supporting artists not named in the cast sheets:?  If it were on Broadway or in the West End the producers would - rightly in my estimation - be brought up on charges for a fundamental lack of respect/breaking of rules by the unions.)   Cutherbertson dazzled in Diamonds - but then who wouldn't in the ardent embrace of Muntagirov who - as ever - continues to climb the stairs of balletic greatness.  I'm not sure that I've seen that role as well danced since Woetzel - and - believe you me - that's going some.  A true treat.  (I still can't believe he wasn't let do the cinema broadcast with Nunez - given that they too are such a fine - and now established - pairing - and both at the height of their considerable powers.)  

There is so much Balanchine I would love to see this company do.  I do hope, myself, that O'Hare might add to the RB's already established Balanchine rep.  (The man did create 420 ballets after all.)  I'd love to see them add the Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet - much as the POB did last year.  That 20 minute third movement is a ballet unto itself .... and what a thrill Muntagirov would bring to that ... as well as the Hungarian imbued richness of that final movement's celebration.  In terms of a revival ... I'd love to see Muntagirov in Ballet Imperial.    

And, yes, it is probably pointless ... but I'd STILL love to see them revive Liebeslieder Waltzer ..... Such vivacious combinations this RB team could field.  I could see it as the closing item on a triple bill with Obsidian Tear or the first act of Woolf Works and Les Rendezvous.  If they balanced the intervals to time (IF .... ) that would still come in at two and a half hours play.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 8

AIthough know I am a bit late on parade but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed the cinema relay on Thursday night too.  I have seen the work live twice,  both times by the Maryinsky, and my take on this time round was pretty different.  Previously I have found Emeralds a bit of a chore but on this occasion it was almost the highlight for me. The last time I saw it was in 2008 when what I regard as Kirov-lite (though I did see Tereshkina) came to the Birmingham Hippodrome and I felt the young artists just didn't 'get' it but performed it as a classical exercise rather than an expression of romantic reverie.

No such issues here and all the dancers deserve great praise but I would like to single out Laura Morera who registered the most with me.

What can I say about Rubies?  Superbly done but it meant the least of the three works to me.  No one can criticise Steven McRae's dancing but, as with Rhapsody, we don't need to be told from his facial expressions that he knows that we know how good he is.  The camera shots being so close I found his smirking at times rather hard to cope with.  No doubt this would be less of an issue in the theatre at a greater distance.

I was most looking forward to seeing Marianela Nunez in Diamonds after having seen some ROH publicity snippets with her saying how much she loved dancing this work. Boy did it show!  As with her Aurora her love of the work was infectious and I just sat there beaming as she beamed.  My only regret was that she wasn't dancing with Muntagirov as Soares in my opinion just couldn't match her.  That ballerina lustre just doesn't happen every day and I am very thrilled to have seen it.

I thought the overall standard of the company dancing was extremely high and I must share the regret if a DVD is not to be issued.  It is a pity that such a high point of the company's repertoire is not to be made available as a permanent record.  Wouldn't it be great if Sky Arts stepped in.

Edited by Two Pigeons
  • Like 5

A plea to any holders of cheap tickets for the remaining performances of Jewels: if I get to go to any of this run at all, I fear it's only going to be in dribs and drabs: an Emeralds here, a Diamonds there, and so on.  Now, I guess from my observations over the years that quite a few holders of the cheap tickets don't actually bother returning their tickets when they can't/don't want to come, but just absorb the loss - after all, on a £4/5 ticket it's probably barely worth the hassle.  So, if that's you, and you find your plans have changed and you're no longer coming to a performance, please do bear me in mind.  I'd be looking especially for places where I could make a discreet entrance/exit if necessary, so some of the amphi standings would be particularly useful, and of course e-tickets might be easier to deal with if I were coming in part-way through a performance rather than at the beginning.

Many thanks.

Last night's performance was a hat-trick for me, the first time that I truly enjoyed all 3 pieces in the same performance. I'd seen three other performances in this run which were great, though usually one of the pieces left me a little underwhelmed. My expectations for Wed night were fairly high, but I was dead tired when I arrived which usually means I don't end up truly engaged so I thought I was in for a good evening, but didn't expect to be transported into the realms of balletic bliss.

Within 5 minutes of Emeralds starting, I realised that I was in for something special, and by the time Naghdi was dancing her solo I thought of her as a dancer who now securely inhabits a generous stage persona to go with the innate talent and technique. She and Ball manage to give a flavour to Emeralds that defined the whole piece, not just their sections. None of this would come off without excellent dancing from the corps and supporting cast, and I really think the RB did itself proud all round. 

Even the soft hum of ushers and medical people taking care of a collapsed standee did not distract from the beauty of Naghdi and Balls Emeralds, they had been wonderful before, but somehow they were even more mesmerising on Wednesday night.

McRae is the undisputed King of Rubies, I'm just going to leave that here.

Sambe has taken up the mantle of crown prince in previous performances, but for the time being I don't think anyone can touch McRae's performance. If McRae is King and Sambe Crown Prince, Tierney Heap is its sensual Goddess. A poster earlier on mentioned some issues with her dancing other roles in Jewels, and I noticed that too, but she hits her stride so fabulously as Girl in Rubies, it makes your eyes water. Lamb came across as more sassy and relaxed than when I previously saw her, and that added to taking the whole performance up yet another notch.

And then Diamonds. All I can say is that I feel privileged to be in a position to regularly watch the RB whilst Vadim Muntagirov is part of the Company. As with the rest of Jewels, the marvel that is Vadim would look a bit more tarnished if not set against the polished support of the RB at its best. Cuthbertson was lovely, I'd not seen her in many classical roles previously and always get a pleasant surprise when I see her dancing with a very appealing mix of grace, lightness and warmth.

This Jewels is up there with the Jaho Butterfly in my collection of 'Truly beautiful memories', and all of this within the space of days really makes me want to hug the Royal.

I suspect that if they ever cast Muntagirov and Nunez in a Diamonds, I'll experience some sort of meltdown.

Edited by Coated
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Coated said:

...Tierney Heap is its sensual Goddess...

I suspect that if they ever cast Muntagirov and Nunez in a Diamonds, I'll experience some sort of meltdown.

Agreed, Tierney Heap was fabulous in Rubies. My least favourite of the Jewels but she made me love it.

Perhaps Kevin O'Hare is thinking of our health by not casting Muntagirov and Nunez together :lol:.

• Like 7

Whilst reading the programme, I realised that the music for Diamonds is the same as Anastasia Act 2, not exactly, as Balanchine omits the longish first movement and I think MacMillan omits the slow movement (can't remember this beautiful music used in Anastasia). What different ballets.

I'm pleased to read all these good reviews, can't believe the dancers are getting better, glad I'm going again next week!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I'm pleased to read all these good reviews, can't believe the dancers are getting better, glad I'm going again next week!

It was really good last night to see some 'second cast' dancers acquitting themselves so well - notably Leo Dixon as one of the four supporting men in Rubies (the others were Zucchetti, Sambe and Acri (Ella having been the fourth on previous outings).

Unfortunately, the second cast line-up of the four girls (of dissimilar heights) in Diamonds gave me the feeling of their needing more rehearsal time, likewise the full ensemble at the end which also included some 'newcomers'. 

But it didn't really matter when Naghdi was being even more glorious in Emeralds and  Muntagirov was wowing everyone again in Diamonds..

• Like 6

I saw last night's performance and the one on the evening of 1 April with a different cast apart from Lamb and McRae who appeared in both. I enjoyed both performances rather more than I had when I had seen Jewels at the ROH a few years ago.

In the earlier performance I thought that Hay out danced Hristov who was pretty pedestrian. Stix-Brunell and Morera were beautifully lyrical. Naghdi was exquisite and I felt that she outclassed Ball whose solo dancing was a bit heavy (Muntagirov is the person to go to for lessons in refined classical dancing and soft landings). I thought that Lamb and McRae were terrific in Rubies. I often find the latter a bit cheesy but for this piece I think that being bit pleased with yourself and playing to the audience really works. Lamb was a revelation: pin-sharp dancing and full of wit and fun. Heap was a more vibrant presence on the stage than Hamilton. I thought that Cuthbertson was a bit insubstantial in Diamonds which (IMO) requires the pomp, grandeur and expansiveness that Nunez brought to the role. Soares was a very good partner to Nunez in this (I felt that the Cuthbertson/Muntagirov partner work was not as smooth) but his solos did not show him at his best. Muntagirov's solo dancing was, as we all now take for granted, elegance personified. I think that he's the best classical dancer in the company currently.

• Like 7

I know that we can't all like the same things and it would be pretty difficult if we all liked the same ballets and dancers as far as buying tickets is concerned. On Wednesday as I left the auditorium at the end of Emeralds my attention was caught by a plaintive voice complaining " I didn't understand what that was about. Were we going to see this originally?" To which the answer came "No we weren't originally but then the tickets came up". The couple engaged in this rather sad conversation then marched rather purposefully through the bar area as if they were about to leave. I do hope that they stayed as last night the RB gave one of the best performances of Jewels that I think I have seen them give. 

Is Emeralds elusive simply because it is a patchwork of music and choreography or is there more to it than that? Is it merely an evocation of the the French school with its emphasis on elegance or does it  also reflect the elusive nature of memory? I know that last night for the first time I found myself wondering whose memories we were being evoked the men's or the women's? It is sad that there are only a few more performances left in this run as Wednesday's cast in particular seem to be only a short step away from getting every nuance of Emeralds right.There were certainly outstanding performances in all three ballets and a lot of dancers in the junior ranks who I shall be watching out for in the future.  

I do hope that sales for this bill don't lead to this group of ballets and other works by Balanchine becoming a problem as far as programming is concerned. As I understand it the AD is answerable to the bean counters as far as programming is concerned as every ballet has to sell a certain percentage of the house if it is to be revived and I imagine that the AD's  freedom in programming is subject to his staging ballets which sell the required percentage of tickets. While I am not overwhelmed by the choice of ballets proposed for next season I do hope that O'Hare's artistic freedom is not curtailed by poor ticket sales this year and next. 

By the way if anyone is hesitating about buying the NYCB in Paris DVD I would recommend buying it. I saw the performances when they were streamed on French television and they were very good. I  am sure that there are those who mourn the fact that the company lacks really characterful dancers and that particular ballets lack a certain something since dancer X retired thirty or forty years ago. That is a problem that besets every ballet goer of a certain age whichever company they follow. The DVD has some wonderful ballets on it and a recording of Symphony in C has to be a must for any collection. 

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 11

I can only agree with Floss that Wednesday night was a very special night. Emeralds was evocative of all the beauty of early classical ballet. Naghdi was delicate, fragile with the most beautiful hands and arms, Ball a charming and elegant partner. The night before in the cinema I had really enjoyed Morera, loved her solo. What a contrast with Rubies erupting onto the stage! The first tableau looked like a rich ruby necklace. Lamb and McCrae sizzled on both nights and were well supported by Heap and the rest of the cast. It was interesting seeing Heap work on Forsythes Veriginous in the Clore last night. Busy two days for her. Diamonds at cinema gave us Nunez at her sparkling best, unfortunately not one of Soares best nights but he was a very good partner. Wednesday live was excellent, I really enjoyed Cuthbertsons sparkle and elegance and Muntagirov was incandescent! The sparkle of diamonds shone in their partnership. Although it is good to see cinema performances because I am usually so far from the stage there is nothing like being there. Balanchine really showed the diversity of his talent in this programme. I was disappointed Lauren got no flowers at the end. Maybe somebody can tell me who the very small man in the corps of diamonds is! It is unusual to be so aware of one member of the corps! 

It it was good to meet LinMM as I am a bit limited in my wheelchair. Thank you LinMM. I hope you had as good an evening as I did. Now I am looking forward to Mayerling on April 28 and Insight on 25th. However Wednesday Jewels are still buzzing around in my head!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jillykins said:

Maybe somebody can tell me who the very small man in the corps of diamonds is! It is unusual to be so aware of one member of the corps! 

Probably David Yudes - now in his second year in the company having been the Prix de Lausanne Apprentice in 2014/15.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FLOSS said:

I know that we can't all like the same things and it would be pretty difficult if we all liked the same ballets and dancers as far as buying tickets is concerned. On Wednesday as I left the auditorium at the end of Emeralds my attention was caught by a plaintive voice complaining " I didn't understand what that was about. Were we going to see this originally?" To which the answer came "No we weren't originally but then the tickets came up". The couple engaged in this rather sad conversation then marched rather purposefully through the bar area as if they were about to leave. I do hope that they stayed as last night the RB gave one of the best performances of Jewels that I think I have seen them give. 

Is Emeralds elusive simply because it is a patchwork of music and choreography or is there more to it than that? Is it merely an evocation of the the French school with its emphasis on elegance or does it  also reflect the elusive nature of memory? I know that last night for the first time I found myself wondering whose memories we were being evoked the men's or the women's? It is sad that there are only a few more performances left in this run as Wednesday's cast in particular seem to be only a short step away from getting every nuance of Emeralds right.There were certainly outstanding performances in all three ballets and a lot of dancers in the junior ranks who I shall be watching out for in the future.  

I do hope that sales for this bill don't lead to this group of ballets and other works by Balanchine becoming a problem as far as programming is concerned. As I understand it the AD is answerable to the bean counters as far as programming is concerned as every ballet has to sell a certain percentage of the house if it is to be revived and I imagine that the AD's  freedom in programming is subject to his staging ballets which sell the required percentage of tickets. While I am not overwhelmed by the choice of ballets proposed for next season I do hope that O'Hare's artistic freedom is not curtailed by poor ticket sales this year and next. 

By the way if anyone is hesitating about buying the NYCB in Paris DVD I would recommend buying it. I saw the performances when they were streamed on French television and they were very good. I  am sure that there are those who mourn the fact that the company lacks really characterful dancers and that particular ballets lack a certain something since dancer X retired thirty or forty years ago. That is a problem that besets every ballet goer of a certain age whichever company they follow. The DVD has some wonderful ballets on it and a recording of Symphony in C has to be a must for any collection. 

I have also been wondering about ticket sales because unless there are an enormous amount of last-minute bookings, Jewels is probably cayying empty seats.  Was it wise, I wonder, to programme so many performances?  When I first saw Jewels some years back it left me cold.  Then I saw it again a few years on and began to like it.  This time around I am enthralled and have made two visits.

My point is that for the average ballet goer it's a difficult one to get into.  Most people will not recognise different cast members nor be able to comment on Naghdi's arms or Muntagirov's technique.  They will be looking for drama and narrative and something they can understand rather than a bravura display of ballet at its best.

i'm not blown away by next year's programming where we seem to have endless runs of the banker ballets and oddly short ones of others.  Personally the Judas Tree is pretty grim and combined with Somg of the Earth, I won't be reaching for my credit card, ditto Obsidian Tear.  I enjoy Hofesh Shecter but wish we could have some of his more adventurous stuff.  All that said, however, I respect Kevin O'Hare's decisions and hope he retains his freedom.  But I think he pushed his luck with such a lengthy run for Jewels.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FLOSS said:

In specific regard to your last paragraph, FLOSS, I really would challenge anyone NOT to define Hyltin's central performance in Balanchine's hugely dramatic take - replete with its explicit story - on Ravel's La Valse as 'characterful'.  It pulsated.  I can earnestly say that as I was in the house in Paris for ALL the NYCB performances in 2016 and wrote about such here.  On the first of its three performances there during that run the Parisian capacity audience gave La Valse a twenty minute standing ovation.  They were hugely swept away by it.  Ramsar was chilling in the extreme as the figure of death.  For me this defined drama through effective narrative in a way that, say, Mayerling could never aspire to (and I say that so admiring of much of early MacMillan - Concerto being equally dramatically rich in its response to the music for example as was his even earlier Danses Concertant - the music for which, of course, was originally written by Stravinsky FOR Balanchine.  MacMillian's take on that was even more haunting in the wealth of his balletic sequential account.)  

The current run of RB performances of Jewels has been a delight and it has been wonderful to watch the company grow before our eyes in a way that they perhaps can't balletically do in other works in the current developing repertory.  I so hope that there are at least a couple of equal opportunities for them to again meet the Balanchine challenge in the 2018/19 season.  Both the RB Company and their audience richly deserve that.  

As to your comment about the couple who left after Emeralds on Wednesday:  Let them go say I.  Balanchine would not have minded.  Peter Martins tells the story of sitting beside Balanchine at the premiere of Leibesleider Waltzer - one of my all time favourites.  When some people left during the natural pause in the music Martins turned to Balanchine and said:  'Georges, look at the people leaving.'  Balanchine turned back to him Martins relates, smiled and said:  'Ah, yes; but look at ALL the people who are staying' :)

Enough said.   

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 10