The Royal Ballet: Jewels, April 2017

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pacific Northwest Ballet, which has had Jewels in its repertoire for some time, is reviving it next season with new costumes by Jerome Kaplan - so it's not actually that uncommon for the Trust to allow changes.

And yes, Alison - Lacroix

1 hour ago, Sim said:

ToThePointe's newly released blog on her impressions of the first performance of Jewels last Saturday afternoon:

http://tothepointemagazine.wixsite.com/tothepointemagazine/single-post/2017/04/04/A-Dazzling-Delight-Jewels-at-The-Royal-Ballet

Emeralds has always been thus for me - but can't disagree about Ms Naghdi!  :-)

• Like 1

We saw the filming cast last night, and it was a delight. I'd seen a Bolshoi version of Jewels in the cinema very early in my ballet trip and didn't get it at all but it was pretty much the only show on that I could really take the nine year old to given our time constraints . Glad I did. 

Emeralds was a bit marred by some medical emergency few rows in front of us but I suspect I don't know enough about French romantic ballet to know what was going on: it was pretty anyway and I'll have a model to think of next time a teacher asks for more softness. ? (And that was Morera, really?)

Rubies was lots of fun, witty and technically delightful. The boy's favourite.

Nunez glittered her way through Diamonds, as did the rest of the cast. I don't know if Soares couldn't keep up or whether the choreography is careful to keep the focus on the ladies but he lacked the sparkle of the others. DS managed to stay sharp to the  end, despite a 4am start! 

• Like 5

Colman, I was sitting just round to the side of that woman and it was indeed distracting.  Poor Laura, she was dancing when this happened last night, and she was dancing a few years ago when a woman started screaming in the stalls when her husband keeled over.  However, I am sure she didn't hear the cafuffle in the amphi last night! 

It was distracting but didn't detract from a lovely performance of Emeralds by Beatriz Stix-Brunell and Laura Morera.  I was mesmerised, as if staring at a jewel sparkling in the sunlight.   I would have liked each of them to have been partnered by a dancer with equal amounts of character and stage presence, but maybe that isn't the point of the two 'cavaliers' in this piece.  James Hay, on the other hand, made his presence felt in spades, and he is the one I looked at when the men were onstage together.

Rubies.  Wow.  Steven McRae and Sarah Lamb just can't be bettered in this piece.  They make what looks like easy work of the difficult choreography, and to boot make it look like lots of fun.  I called McRae 'The Human Blur' the first time I saw him do those turns into the wings a few years ago, and this perception hasn't changed!  Nice to see Melissa Hamilton back on the ROH stage, but I must say that Tierney Heap did a lot more for me as the '2nd girl'.  I was also impressed with how she held her own with the three First Soloists in the 'demi' roles in Diamonds. 

Diamonds.  Wow.  Marianela Nunez was just sublime.  Her dancing was as lustrous as a newly-buffed diamond, and her personality just as sparkly.  She gets everything right;  every move of the head and hands, every nuance of the music....just beautiful.  How I wish she had been partnered with Vadim Muntagirov here;  that would have been the perfect pairing.  He is her equal in technique and interpretation which, sadly, Thiago Soares is not. 

I am liking Jewels a whole lot better thanks to the lovely dancing during this run, so thank you RB!

• Like 12

Well, wow, just wow!! Tonight's performance started wonderfully, and built to the wonderful crescendo that is Diamonds. Naghdi, Ball and Mendizabal all lovely in Emeralds. Likewise Campbell, Takada and Heap in Rubies, but for my money Heap won the prize there for sheer presence - Takada's dancing is always beautiful but I struggle to get a sense of her personality, although she is definitely improving in that respect.

However, Diamonds - from the moment the curtain went up and there was a collective "Ooooh....!" from the audience just for the sparkling set and costumes, you knew you were going to see something special, and who better to do it justice than Muntagirov. His sheer elegance and presence the moment he walked on stage made the audience around me sit up (literally), suddenly raising the interest level, and thereafter his dancing was just sheer heaven. The Pas de Deux with Cuthbertson was spellbinding and the entire audience seemed to feel it. And his solos.... Cuthbertson was also wonderful, and there was palpable chemistry between them, but I wonder wistfully whether he will get a chance to dance this with Nunez - that would be really special. He gained the biggest applause of the evening for his solos, and deservedly so.

• Like 12

The delicately etched beauty and the mesmerising hands of Yuhui Choe in the afternoon's Emeralds, the delightful sassiness of Akane Takada in the evening's Rubies, then the absolute class of Lauren Cuthbertson in Diamonds. Three right Royal ladies.

• Like 6

Still not quite there in my admiration for the ballet itself but individual performances in Jewels continue to be entrancing.

Yet, even in that illustrious company, Vadim Muntagirov appears in a class of his own. His dancing and stage persona define every meaning of DIAMOND there could possibly be. What he gives us is truly special and transporting. BRAVO!

• Like 9

Yes to all the above. I shall continue to book to see Muntagirov in everything he does as he is in a class of his own for beautiful classical dancing at RB.

Can't help feeling it is a shame there is no Balanchine next year, when the dancers so excel in this exquisite clean-cut, long-limbed style. It seems to me, anyway, that they should be doing a LOT more of this, and a lot less of- but, enough.

In Rubies I did enjoy the panache and character of Campbell - and surely Akane Takada has developed into  this role really well. However, I am looking forward to seeing Lamb and McRae (the human blur) because for me they are head and shoulders above the rest in Rubies.

Edited by Mary
  • Like 6

I've always liked Jewels but think it is a masterwork after last night, not just the solo dancing but the corps work, what a genius Balanchine was!

Great cast all round, but special mention to Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball in Emeralds looking as beautiful as ever, Alexander Campbell in Rubies (this is my least favourite of the 3 ballets but loved his powerful dancing), and Vadim Muntagirov in Diamonds, as everyone says he is in a world of his own in classical ballet, such marvellous solo's, both he and Lauren Cuthbertson looked happy together!

Looking forward to Tuesday at the cinema next.

Edited by Ian Macmillan
To reduce the blank space!
  • Like 7

I took a friend to see Jewels yesterday, for a double bill. After the afternoon session he declared Rubies his favourite.

After seeing evening Emeralds he was speechless. The 25 mins or so time flew by for him, as for me. Mainly this was due to Ms Naghdi.

I am at heart though, a Diamonds type of a guy. What a thrill to see the company in good form. As above, Muntagirov magisterial, Cuthbertson lovely too.

Rubies was still my friend's favourite of the day, and i shan't forget Sambé's gasp-inducing exit after his 'running around a bit" solo there, prompting spontaneous applause and disbelief!

• Like 7

On 04/04/2017 at 16:15, Jane S said:

Pacific Northwest Ballet, which has had Jewels in its repertoire for some time, is reviving it next season with new costumes by Jerome Kaplan - so it's not actually that uncommon for the Trust to allow changes.

And yes, Alison - Lacroix

Yes it was Lacroix and when POB used them for the the first I understood they got their knuckles rapped by the Balanchine Trust for doing their own thing.  However, I will never forget the gasp of delight when the curtain went up on Diamonds at The Opera Garnier which is where I saw my first ever performance of Joyaux/Jewels it was totally magical and beautiful.  I have loved Jewels ever since. 

The Bolshoi also have non Karinska costumes.  I think I prefer some of the non Karinska designs more though.

I went to see The Royal Ballet in Balanchine's 'Jewels' last night (with my mum and sister) and it was a truly sparkling evening.

Emeralds was nice and dreamy, Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball were really beautiful together and oh I how I adored the Fauré music. 

Rubies was really spectacular, Akane Takada was very slinky and just amazing, seeing her in a whole new light! Alexander Campbell was brilliant too, lots of fun and Tierney Heap was pure Las Vegas Showgirl/Hoofer, really channelling the Stravinksy (which again was played wonderfully by the Royal Opera House Orchestra).

And finally Diamonds was truly majestic, Vadim Muntagirov and Lauren Cuthbertson (I would love to see them together in Swan Lake) were stunning together, being a plotless ballet with plain scenery you could really appreciate the choreography and the dancers themseleves, really showed off the Royal Ballet at their best and not forgetting the sublime Tchaikovsky score.

We waiting outside the stage door afterwards and got signatures on our programmes from Alexander Campbell, Yasmine Nagdi, Matthew Ball, Akane Takada and Vadim Muntagirov (we hoped to get Lauren Cuthbertson's as well but it was not to be) 

Vadim Muntagirov was ever so nice and posed for a photo with me and my mum as well - https://twitter.com/Moonbootica/status/850849000207110144

This was my favourite pic I took of the curtain call - https://twitter.com/Moonbootica/status/850827953869082625

Really impressed by The Royal Ballet last night that's for sure :)

Edited by WoodlandGladeFairy
  • Like 6

I was at the Evening performance yesterday evening and I thought it was just beautiful.  Emeralds was flowing and Nagadi and Ball were so together.  I was pleasantly  surprised how good Akane Takada was in it and think she had the right amount of slinkyness (is that even a word!?) and technique to go with it. I'm sure she was doing Quadruple Pirouettes at one point!   Tierny Heap had that great Vegas Show girl act going.  I thought the Cor really captured the feel of the music and that 20's Jazz age.

Diamonds was just sparkling.  Vadim was as light as a feather when landing his jumps! and Lauren Cuthbertson was majestic.  They compliment each other so well.    

Overall it was lovely seeing some of my favourite dancers just dancing with no plot and seeing their technique and purity of the dance which Mr. B shows so well!  

• Like 6

On my way home from this evening's  performance ( live cinema relay) and I just wanted to say what a treat tonight's performance. I'm happy that I managed to grab a cheap ticket through Friday Rush.  Emeralds was lovely. Rubies was exhilarating. Diamonds was simply wow, Wow, WOW! Nunez was simply stunning this evening. I think her dancing left Soares a bit exposed, a lot exposed really...

I left in a bit of a crabby mood though because of poor audience behaviour - people who couldn't be bothered to applaud the dancers but quick to whip out their phones to film dancers bowing, a couple stomping out loudly not long after beginnnng of Emeralds, someone trying to film Diamonds on mobile phone mid performance ( I sauntered over and gave a tap on the shoulder and did my best officious sounding "Do you mind ?" ) and number of objects falling on the floor mid performance. Usually I am not that bothered but I think it's getting worse.

So sorry to hear your evenng was sullied in that way Jam dancer- also some awful loud coughing- and such a fabulous performance too. Nunez hitting her peak I do so agree. Not sure what to say about her partner- it is a bit of an odd situation.

Emeralds- Rubies- the best I have seen. I am about to book some more tickets, because this doesn't get any better, and it is a long long time until they perform anything as good.

• Like 2

Just back from my local cinema showing. I enjoyed the matinee on 1 April but wanted to refrain from writing until I had seen the 'First" Cast and also for a second viewing to get more of an angle on the ballet itself.

The notion of an abstract three act ballet to different composers seems to me to work well as a celebration of the art form and the inherent variety possible within its classical expression.

Interestingly, given the seeming antipathy of many writers on here, Emeralds touched me the most on both occasions, possibly because I have a great love for the music of Fauré. The sense of time and memory seems to me touching, even moving, whether in the clock positions of the second pas de deux or the "vanishing" ending. Rubies is, I guess, "fun" (I'm sure there is a sophistication to it that has as yet eluded me) and Diamonds a magnificent evocation of a time past.

In terms of the dancing, it seemed to me that Vadim Muntagirov at the matinée and Marianela Nunez this evening in Diamonds were the absolute standouts. His elegance, his ability to master every technical display with impeccable control whilst giving every support to his partner and her musical as well as astonishing physical responsiveness were absolutely memorable.

Other standouts over the two performances for me were Beatrix Stix-Brunell this evening (such radiance of presentation, such elegance of arms, such pliability of arms and torso), Yasmine Naghdi with Matthew Ball and Nicol Edmonds in Emeralds and Tierney Heap in Rubies at the matinée who made Melissa Hamilton seem decidedly pedestrian. Ms Heap seems to me on a fast rising curve and I'd be interested to see her given her chance in the new Swan Lake. Alexander Campbell was also great in Rubies (perhaps not quite at his best) and much more appealing to me than Steven McRae whose stage presence seems increasingly self satisfied. It's good to see Sarah Lamb in something that doesn't play to her natural cool and I am surprised that McRae doesn't seem to wish to work with her rather than bringing in Salenko as they seem to work well together. 

Other thoughts: is it traditional that the second pas de deux in Emeralds is given to a more mature dancer? Perhaps that's my own take given the passage of time references. I seem to recall that Leanne Benjamin and Mara Galeazzi used to dance this, and Itziar Mendizabal did well in it. This evening, Laura Morera, although not flattered by cinematic close ups, showed ravishing epaulement and a captivating response to the music. She's seemed rather remote, as if under powered, the last couple of times I have seen her but was beautifully in the frame this evening. 

On the subject of mature dancers, it's interesting that Nunez and Thigao Soares continue often to be paired together. One can only speculate, perhaps one shouldn't; on the emotional sensitivity this must involve, but it seems to me that for all the residual tenderness of their stage partnership, his dancing is increasingly lumpy and unstretched. 

One final thought: this season, I have seen every programme apart from Obsidian Tear, and caught the cinema relays.

Next season, I may go to the cinema and look forward to learning more of the new Swan Lake but, whatever the casting, don't feel inspired at all by the programming....

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jamesrhblack said:

It's good to see Sarah Lamb in something that doesn't play to her natural cool and I am surprised that McRae doesn't seem to wish to work with her rather than bringing in Salenko as they seem to work well together. 

Lamb really is just a bit too tall for him, though - it's led to some ... uncomfortable ... partnering at times.

• Like 1

I agree with you Mary - I was at the cinema tonight too and thought it was the best I had seen the company dance in quite some time (and I share your wish that next season had some Balanchine, or at least more programming that would give the dancers a similar work out for their technique).  Lots of good performances but really Nunez in all her pomp must be one of the all time greats.  It was a little sad to see Soares exposed by comparison, but by the end of Diamonds I felt that her example and glowing enthusiasm was pushing the whole company to another level.  

• Like 7

We watched the cinema showing last night and it caused a rare divergence of opinion between my husband and myself. I loved the gentle and plaintive Emeralds. Rubies was mind blowing and my husband shared my opinion of this piece although I do wish Steven MacRae was a little less pleased with himself. I thought Diamonds was as polished and sparkling as the stone itself but it didn't move or involve me. The Royal Ballet was brilliant yet I felt curiously muted at the end. I understand why it is a favourite of so many dancers as there is just so much dancing in it and the need for strong technique. Apart from Rubies, my husband didn't care for it all whereas I appreciated it as a tour de force. 

I don't think Steven McRae means to look pleased with himself or 'self-satisfied'-or  anything like that- it is just his face!

But if he did, well:  he has a lot to be pleased about.

I for one am always delighted to watch a dancer who can really do everything and more, so fast and so high and with total precision, and who works with his partners with incredible coordination. We have plenty of dancers with other attributes and more subtlety... let's enjoy him for what he is.

• Like 9

I was at the screening of Jewels in Littlehampton last night. I hadn't seen it for a long time & was really looking forward to it. However Emeralds was spoilt by audience behaviour! The woman next to me had a noisy, shiny bag of sweets & was sharing them out with her companions. So, instead of enjoying the ballet, I was sitting there thinking ' why can't they wait until the interval', ' can no one sit for less than an hour without putting something in their mouths' & ' why do manufacturers put sweets in such noisy bags' ? In the end I leant across & said 'do you mind'. Thankfully things improved during Rubies & Diamonds. Thoroughly enjoyed Diamonds. Marianela was truly stunning, couldn't take my eyes off her. Poor Thiago. I always think he is a better actor than a dancer. Also, wasn't Kirsten McNally a super presenter? I also enjoyed seeing those beautiful jewelled ballerinas. I wouldn't have minded taking one of those home....Dread to think how much they cost. Probably out of my price range ?.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Mary said:

I don't think Steven McRae means to look pleased with himself or 'self-satisfied'-or  anything like that- it is just his face!

But if he did, well:  he has a lot to be pleased about.

I for one am always delighted to watch a dancer who can really do everything and more, so fast and so high and with total precision, and who works with his partners with incredible coordination. We have plenty of dancers with other attributes and more subtlety... let's enjoy him for what he is.

Gosh, yes Mary, I couldn't agree more.  Rubies seems positively made for Mcrae.  It's not my favourite of the three, but I found myself with a huge grin on my face at Mcrae's sparkle and Lamb's fearlessness and extensions.  Those chainées into the wings drew gasps and some spontaneous applause from the cinema audience, and rightly so.   No self-satisfaction from Mcrae that I could see, just joy at the choreo and the fun of it all. 

Lovely to see Melissa Hamilton back on the ROH stage too.

Rewinding slightly to Emeralds, I thought Stix-Brunel was stunning.  Beautiful epaulement and flow, and a lovely serene air.  I thought she and Hristov were nicely matched in looks.  James Hay and Emma Maguire really stood out last night with their neatness and precision.  

Loved Calvert and Naghdi in Diamonds.  Tierney Heap suffered slightly in comparison; she didn't use her neck and head in the same way the others did, and at times looked fractionally behind, which was a shame.  What more can be said about Nuñez - I feel so lucky that "we" have such a dancer at RB. Technically faultless and with a smile that could outshine even Van Cleef and Arpels' diamonds.  I actually loved Soares' partnering, but what a shame he struggled with the solos.  Still, Nuñez seemed to lift the whole company with her performance.  

As an aside, I really enjoyed the presenting team of Ore Oduba and Kristen Mcnally. Kristen is a natural presenter - I do hope she gets to present more live streams. 

I must admit I usually prefer story ballets, but greatly enjoyed last night.  How I would love to see the Naghdi/Ball and Cuthbertson/Muntagirov cast.  Maybe next time. 

• Like 10

I too couldn’t agree more, Mary, about Steven McRae.

Both Sarah Lamb and Steven McRae were brilliant last night, giving a highly technical, stunning performance with great panache. As Sim said, they “just can't be bettered in this piece. They make what looks like easy work of the difficult choreography, and to boot make it look like lots of fun”.

They both clearly enjoyed every moment of it and their smiles and joy shone throughout.

• Like 1

Fiz, I saw the same cast live last Thursday and in the cinema last night. I've come to the conclusion that the broadcast strips about 20% of the brilliance off a ballet like Jewels through a combination of vulgar camera work and the visual effects of the filming. The camera work breaks up the choreography so you don't get a feel for how the piece works

and builds up. It ruins the rhythm of it. Emeralds seemed softer, Rubies had more pizazz, Diamonds sparkled more. 

To pick one example, the effect of the Sleeping Beauty style paired entry bit in Diamonds was totally ruined by the camera work. 

• Like 6

Well put Colman.  I enjoyed the cinema broadcast last night but didn't get the same buzz I did from the live performance (albeit with a different cast brimful of my favourite dancers).

It was the biggest crowd, around 20, that I have seen in my nearest Odeon too.

I thought Ore and Kristen were a great presentation team.  The interval presentations and films are one thing about the live relays that I really enjoy.  BTW, I remember Jean Marc Puissant as a dancer with BRB!

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Colman said:

Fiz, I saw the same cast live last Thursday and in the cinema last night. I've come to the conclusion that the broadcast strips about 20% of the brilliance off a ballet like Jewels through a combination of vulgar camera work and the visual effects of the filming.

I think that is because they have too many cameras and the director insists on using every one. For this very reason, I find older recordings far superior to modern ones. The Bell Telephone Hour recordings aren't very crisp, but they only used two cameras, so you see the entire stage (or more accurately TV studio).

There were about 20 in the Dudley Cinema last night. I think had they screened it at the MAC, which they did for Anastasia, there would have been a much bigger audience - Anastasia was almost sold out.

• Like 2