BBC Young dancer 2017

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else think that ballet competitors are slightly at a disadvantage, as they have to perform a set classical variation, whereas the other dancers aren't limited by that consideration? It is also quite difficult for male ballet dancers to stand out in duets, as it is more of a supporting role in a way.

Well done to the winner, dd and I liked her a lot.

• Like 4

Yes taxi, I do.  Most people would have looked at the ballet pdd and said 'but she's doing all the dancing, not him', without realising what is involved with the partnering.  Darcey did her best to explain it, but I will be surprised if a ballet dancer wins anytime soon!   And I hope to be eating my words next year....  ?

My hubby thinks they should add Irish dancing into the mix....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sim said:

Yes taxi, I do.  Most people would have looked at the ballet pdd and said 'but she's doing all the dancing, not him', without realising...

It's not a public vote, so hopefully that's not so much of an issue

8 hours ago, Sim said:

My hubby thinks they should add Irish dancing into the mix....

That's what I thought. How many active Irish dancers are there compared to Southern Asian (in the UK)

8 hours ago, Sim said:

Yes taxi, I do.  Most people would have looked at the ballet pdd and said 'but she's doing all the dancing, not him', without realising what is involved with the partnering.

Unless the ballet man can dance a pdd variation his contribution is masked by his partner and the way she dances is likely to affect judgements. It doesn't feel like a level playing field.

While watching on TV, I was also wondering how it felt as a theatre experience. So much of what was going on seemed to be for the cameras rather than for the live (paying) audience.

A huge "well done" to the 5 candidates and good wishes for the future.

Edited to add that it is such a pity that the article in Links features a picture of Darcey Bussell rather than the winner .

Edited by capybara
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

Unless the ballet man can dance a pdd variation his contribution is masked by his partner and the way she dances is likely to affect judgements. It doesn't feel like a level playing field.

While watching on TV, I was also wondering how it felt as a theatre experience. So much of what was going on seemed to be for the cameras rather than for the live (paying) audience.

A huge "well done" to the 5 candidates and good wishes for the future.

I suppose it depends on the criteria they are given for the duet.  Does it have to be a "recognised" classical duet or perhaps they could do, for example, the Dracula/Harker duet from Michael Pink's Dracula?

13 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Well, there's a surprise - Darcey Bussell, again. Are the BBC aware that 'other dancers are available?'

no

17 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Well, there's a surprise - Darcey Bussell, again. Are the BBC aware that 'other dancers are available?'

3 hours ago, mnemo said:

no

I think we, as keen ballet watchers, have to appreciate that, like it or not, Darcey Bussell is likely to bring in more viewers than other dancers we know well but whom the general public will not have heard of.

I couldn't disagree with the judges' decision - I thought Nafisah had a very special quality of movement.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

I thought Ore Orduba was toe curling at points.  He isn't normally that bad.

Isn't he? Sorry, but I would have reached for the mute button in the cinema last week (Jewels) if one had been available.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sim said:

In the article about the winner Jan posted above we get a photo of Darcey instead of the winner!  There is a lovely photo of Nafisah in ToThePointe's interview above.

At first glance, the photograph does rather give the impression that Darcey is Nafisah/the winner.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

Does anyone else think that ballet competitors are slightly at a disadvantage, as they have to perform a set classical variation, whereas the other dancers aren't limited by that consideration? It is also quite difficult for male ballet dancers to stand out in duets, as it is more of a supporting role in a way.

Ballet competitors are also at a disadvantage in that it is hard for them to appear relevant when an out of context excerpt danced in tutus, tights and other period-style costume is shown on screen. The male ballet dancers may have to cast a wider net and draw upon current works, including pas de deux for two men, if they are to hold their own. The obvious examples are Wayne McGregor (Obsidian Tear, Multiverse), Wheeldon's After the Rain or some of the work recently danced by the ENB, provided that they are allowed to dance excerpts from pieces such as these and that they are sufficiently adept and well-trained.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Ballet competitors are also at a disadvantage in that it is hard for them to appear relevant when an out of context excerpt danced in tutus, tights and other period-style costume is shown on screen. The male ballet dancers may have to cast a wider net and draw upon current works, including pas de deux for two men, if they are to hold their own. The obvious examples are Wayne McGregor (Obsidian Tear, Multiverse), Wheeldon's After the Rain or some of the work recently danced by the ENB, provided that they are allowed to dance excerpts from pieces such as these and that they are sufficiently adept and well-trained.

An interesting observation about male pas-de-deux.  I took a friend who had never attended a ballet before to Woolf Works.  She adored it but the standout moment for her was the male pas-de-deux and I hadn't even mentioned how moving I find it.

4 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

I thought Ore Orduba was toe curling at points.  He isn't normally that bad.

He was dreadful and why they insisted on interviewing competitors who were so out of breath they couldn't speak was a great mystery.  I am afraid I am not a fan of Ore Oduba as far as ballet is concerned and I find the whole Strictly thing with Darcey as a judge and Ore winning and Anita Rani as a finalist, totally weird.  Having said that, thought Rani was excellent last night and she looked fantastic.

As for the winner, yes I thought she was stunning but I didn't want to watch her.  Her movement was fantastic but it was all too masculine and lacked any appeal for me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

... I find the whole Strictly thing with Darcey as a judge and Ore winning and Anita Rani as a finalist, totally weird.  Having said that, thought Rani was excellent last night and she looked fantastic.

As for the winner, yes I thought she was stunning but I didn't want to watch her.  Her movement was fantastic but it was all too masculine and lacked any appeal for me.

Yes, both Darcey and Anita Rani looked fantastic. As, for that matter, did Ore Oduba. And I totally agree about the winner. Fabulous quality of movement but it really was extremely masculine, which is entirely different from projecting strength, as, for instance, with dancers such as Tamara Rojo. 

5 hours ago, capybara said:

Isn't he? Sorry, but I would have reached for the mute button in the cinema last week (Jewels) if one had been available.

May be I was trying to be polite but I think Ore has never struck me as that bad before because normally he comes over as better than the person with whom he is presenting.  Either way, he seems to be the official BBC face of dance with Darcey.  I suppose that they are grateful he won SCD as Danny Mac is not one of their employees and would not be so readily available.

P.s.  This is not to be inferred as any suggestion he didn't win fairly.  Danny did screw up during that quickstep.