No idea on that one, Lin, but if you use the Search box at top right there is a Member search option, which I guess is more or less what you were looking for on your previous query.

I fear it's going to take quite a while to get used to all these changes ...

Okay I just tried to search for someone I know here and their name did come up but still cannot find how you would then message them!!

That works as before. Click the name, either in the search result or attached to any of their posts, and you'll get a new page with member details and a Message button.

I'm not sure but I think John can switch on the user list in the System area of Block Manager. I don't know if everybody sees a little arrow on the LHS but I do and it allows me to switch stuff on and off.

13 minutes ago, John Mallinson said:

That works as before. Click the name, either in the search result or attached to any of their posts, and you'll get a new page with member details and a Message button.

Sorry John didn't mean to quote this but couldn't undo!!

24 minutes ago, trog said:

I'm not sure but I think John can switch on the user list in the System area of Block Manager. I don't know if everybody sees a little arrow on the LHS but I do and it allows me to switch stuff on and off.

I can - Members are under System.  But I don't know if the general public can?

Trog: " Found Admin & Moderator CP which I'd lost."  Do tell - privately :)  The current notification is rather confusing.

Okay I can now see how to message people as it now looks as before.?

However there is still no general list as before.....where I think on the old system there was the word members and then when you clicked everyone came up in alphabetical order.....I didn't have to type someone's name in the box as do now.

Is this the same for everybody on this new system or is it some quirk that only affects a few or even only me ??

1 hour ago, alison said:

Have you followed Trog's posting above, Lin?  I was going to quote the post number, until I realised that - oh good - we don't have those at present either :(

Alison, post numbering seems to have been dropped as not being a reliable way to find a particular entry if other posts in the thread had been moved or removed. This has been discussed in the IPS help forum and the following was the advice:

Post numbering wasn't reliable - posts would have different numbers depending on whether you could view hidden posts. If posts were deleted, all the posts that come after it would change number. Same if posts were split or merged.

The simple way to ensure you're giving people a reliable link to the post is to use the proper URL available in the share popup (you mentioned right-clicking that icon, which you can do, but the more obvious way is to click the icon and copy the URL in the box provided). We use the standard 'share' icon used by many other services to hopefully make it clear where to go for it.

(The share icon is the funny wishbone-looking thing in the top righthand corner of the post.)

45 minutes ago, John Mallinson said:

Alison, post numbering seems to have been dropped as not being a reliable way to find a particular entry if other posts in the thread had been moved or removed. This has been discussed in the IPS help forum and the following was the advice:

Post numbering wasn't reliable - posts would have different numbers depending on whether you could view hidden posts. If posts were deleted, all the posts that come after it would change number. Same if posts were split or merged.

The simple way to ensure you're giving people a reliable link to the post is to use the proper URL available in the share popup (you mentioned right-clicking that icon, which you can do, but the more obvious way is to click the icon and copy the URL in the box provided). We use the standard 'share' icon used by many other services to hopefully make it clear where to go for it.

(The share icon is the funny wishbone-looking thing in the top righthand corner of the post.)

I think that's a bit of a shame - not because I really used the numbers, but because I used to love the fact there could be 150 posts on a production or a bill before it had even opened!! (Of course the posts will still be there; just not the numbers!).

• Like 2