Booking Ballet performances in Russia - Help!

Does anyone have any idea when the Bolshoi or the Mariinsky Ballet companies issue their programmes for the later half of the year?  My dd is lucky enough to be going to both Moscow and St Petersburg in October and would love to go to the ballet, but when I have looked online it just says to be advised later in the year.  Because she is going with college we will need to request that she be allowed to go in advance and I don't want to find out too late and her miss the opportunity.  If I had some idea I could talk to college staff and at least broach the subject.

Can anyone help?

In a recent interview, Vaziev said that the new season would be announced at a press conference on May 5.  But that may not be of much help--while the new season announcement will list premieres (from that same interview, the first one will be in November), revivals, and galas, with their dates, they have not in the past included the day-by-day schedules.  And I'd note that even those dates that are included in the season announcement can change:  at least one gala and two premieres in the current season occurred or will occur on dates other than those originally indicated.

The Bolshoi generally posts the complete month's schedule about 3-4 months in advance (for example, the July schedule was posted about a week ago).  The Mariinsky typically posts a partial schedule further in advance, but does not post the full schedule for a given month until closer to the date.

Edited by now voyager

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2017 at 10:13, now voyager said:

There is one hint, however, for the Bolshoi schedule:  the schedule for next season's Bolshoi cinecasts has been released and shows Corsaire on 22 October. Chances are that there will be several performances of it around that date.

Thank you so much for this information.  I think my daughter might be out of luck with Corsaire unless there are some performances beforehand as she returns to the UK on the 22nd October.  It would be a fabulous performance to see though so I will keep my fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Huddsballetmum said:

Thank you so much for this information.  I think my daughter might be out of luck with Corsaire unless there are some performances beforehand as she returns to the UK on the 22nd October.  It would be a fabulous performance to see though so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Historically, the Bolshoi has cinecast the last performance of a 3-, 4- or 5-performance run.  The so-called "Contemporary" program shown this season was a notable exception. For a number of reasons, I do not think that the Bolshoi will repeat that experience anytime soon, so most likely there will be several performances of Corsaire in the days immediately prior to 22/10.

The Mariinsky has now released its subscription series for the 2017-18 season and the subscription performances are shown on the Russian language calendar (but not yet the English one) on their website.  I took a quick look and saw the following ballet performances in October prior to the 22d:  Park 4/10; Raymonda 6/ & 7/10; Corsaire (Vinogradov) 10/10; Seasons (new) 13/10; Firebird 14/10; Humpbacked Horse 15/10; Fountain of Bakhchisarai 20/10.  Please note that this list is not comprehensive for that period, but rather shows only those ballet performances that form part of a subscription series.  As I mentioned earlier, the Mariinsky's full schedule for October will probably not appear for quite some time.

Thank you now voyager.  I think we are more likely to be able to book the Bolshoi as she is in St Petersburg  15th to 17th and then Moscow 18th to 20th.  I had a look at the Mariinsky's schedule that has been released and the schedule just doesn't fit hers.  This is the problem with organised trips and she is supposed to be there to visit the palace's, the Kremlin and Lenin's tomb for  A Level Russian history rather than visit the ballet.  I would just like her to be able to combine the two if possible.  Will keep my eye out for the Bolshoi's winter programme and hopefully Corsaire will be a possiblity.

If she is in St P in May would she like to see the Vaganova school? DS will be there (they will be deep into rehearsals for graduation performances) and may well be able to get her in for a tour - I can ask him anyway (if you think she would be interested...). 

On 4/21/2017 at 12:55, CeliB said:

If she is in St P in May would she like to see the Vaganova school? DS will be there (they will be deep into rehearsals for graduation performances) and may well be able to get her in for a tour - I can ask him anyway (if you think she would be interested...). 

Oh CeliB what a shame she isn't there until October.  She would have loved to visit the Vaganova school.  It would have been such a treat.  Thank you so much for the offer though.

On 4/27/2017 at 13:57, CeliB said:

ah well, I can let you know whether DS is still there in October- waiting to find out his decision about company offers..

I'll keep my finger crossed for him.  You must let us all know where he ends up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...