Audition solo advice (Tring)

Paleblueleotard

Our DD wants to audition next academic year for year 7 dance at Tring and will need to do a solo, as well as the class with other applicants. She's never done a solo before - any performances have always been as class groups.

What do people do about this as I have no clue at all. 

a) do a dance from a graded ballet class that they know like the back of their hand so no extra work needed, but the dance teachers on the panel may have seen before so maybe a disadvantage? 

B) modify a dance they have done for a performance, although as a group performanceso it may require a fair bit of modification to make it work as a solo 

c) let the child make something up themselves (that may or may not be correct as such or be the best showcase for their ability)

d) pay a teacher to choreograph something and shell out for several 1-2-1 private lessons to make sure the dance is perfect.

She only does ballet, albeit several classes week, so it's probably not a good idea to try another genre at this point I suspect. Although do people generally do another genre as they are seen doing ballet in the group audition...

I know people that have done all of your suggestions above, my dd cut down a solo she already had but know people who have had new dances, done exam work, let DC choreograph their own work or had a solo prepared with a teacher so my advice is just do what suits you best in terms of finance, time and dd's preference! Try not to worry too much, they just like to get a feel for the DC away from the structured class and see how they like to dance. Good luck!! 

I would say that the most important thing is something that shows off their performance skills and enables them to show how much they love dancing. You will not be judged on whether it's been expensively choreographed or not.... Good luck!!

My DD helped choreograph her own solo for her audition in Jan. She found the music and set the basics then her dance teacher helped polish it. She loves it so much it's now been made longer as a competition solo. Made such a difference her helping create it and she's so proud of herself.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies and also for the welcome Janet :-)

This is really helpful, thanks! It gives me some starting points to chat about with our DD. I know it's almost another 8-10 months away but I thought I'd start thinking about it with her as deadlines do have a habit of sneaking up on you. Yes might try and chat to ballet teacher(s) as well if I get a chance.