Elmhurst or YDA

Noobag06

Hello all

My DD has been very fortunate in receiving an offer for year 7 for both YDA and Elmhurst.

I'm interested in hearing as many opinions as possible regarding which school you would choose, and why.

I'm particularly interested to hear thoughts from anybody with experience of either.

Thank you.

• Like 3

I don't know anything about YDA except that the training is good as evidenced by students getting offers in later years at Elmhurst and White Lodge.  Which begs the question why students still hanker after getting into one of these two schools even after starting at YDA in Year 7?  That said, each vocational school out there has it's own merits and demerits and there isn't a one size fits all.  My own DD has settled in really well at Elmhurst and absolutely loves it.  She had always wanted WL but came away from finals last year saying she didn't want to go there after all, not 100% sure what happened during the day but she had felt more relaxed at prelims, finals and summer school at Elmhurst, all of which must have helped.  But I also know of several DC who didn't get on at Elmhurst, some of whom found the reality of dancing every day not what they actually wanted, others preferred to go to a school like YDA where they could still go home every night as boarding and homesickness was the issue for them.

Sorry Noobag as not sure my thoughts will help you at all.  Huge congrats to your DD for having two offers and huge commiserations to you now as making the decision which school will be agonising.  Good luck with it and whatever decision you make, enjoy it!

• Like 1

Which does your dd prefer? We toured all 3 local secondary schools (state comp, state grammar, independent she was in prep at, none vocational) and helped our dd choose but ultimately the decision was hers and she made absolutely the right one.

Do you have the chance for another tour of both to help decision? My advice would be to go back, look with different post-audition viewpoint and let her choose.

• Like 3

In terms of finances YDA do have scholarships, and the fees are lower than Elmhurst - with the parental contributions required with MDS it may be that you would find not much difference between the two.

Also, it isn't just that the students go onto WL and Elmhurst while there, it is also worth looking at the graduating destinations, last year leavers from YDA went to Royal, ENB, Elmhurst, Tring and Rosella Hightower in Cannes. 

(I have known of students leave Elmhurst to go to WL too so it isn't solely at YDA this movement happens between lower schools.)

Of course Elmhurst is far more well known, the facilities are superb, and the training I am sure is first rate. I am not disputing that. Just trying to give balance to the picture!

Edited by amos73
  • Like 3

I would also consider strength of academic teaching and quality of pastoral care. Would your dd board at YDA? I've come across children who've left both places and those who love both places.

There may be some differences in the dance training structure? At Elmhurst they do a bit of jazz etc. Not sure about YDA? You may struggle to find much difference in the overall quality of dance training. ...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sarahw said:

I would also consider strength of academic teaching and quality of pastoral care. Would your dd board at YDA? I've come across children who've left both places and those who love both places.

There may be some differences in the dance training structure? At Elmhurst they do a bit of jazz etc. Not sure about YDA? You may struggle to find much difference in the overall quality of dance training. ...

In terms of YDA academics are extremely strong, as is Pastoral care. 

In year 7 they do 3 hours of ballet every day apart from Fridays when they do Jazz and tap, plus body conditioning sessions a few times a week, and my dd does a pointe session after school on Friday as well. On Saturdays they either do Royal associates or a morning of ballet and jazz at Pineapple.

• Like 2

I don't really have much experience with either, but perhaps at Elmhirst you would get more performance opportunities, due to their association with Birmingham Royal Ballet? Maybe have a discussion with your child about the pros and cons of each school, maybe have a chat with current dance teacher? Good luck and well done! 

• Like 2

I only have first hand experience of YDA but I am sure that both schools offer great dance training and academics. I think that it comes down to where you think your DD will be happy. 

YDA is less well known and does not have the 'prestige', facilities and scale of Elmhurst. What it does offer is a small, nurturing environment, brilliant teachers, excellent pastoral care and impressive academics. The fact that year groups are small (usually only 10-14) means that all students get personal attention in both their vocational and academic studies. 

Your DD has done really well to get two offers and it's great to have choice though I appreciate how hard it must be for you both right now.

• Like 3

Wow! Congratulations to your dd that's amazing. Obvious difference is that Elmhurst has 6th form  but I believe YDA goes to year 11 only. This might seem a very long way off now, and not something that would influence your choice for year 7. However than can be some real benefits in the 'trickle down' (both dance and academic) of being in a school that has older students in it. Also not sure how the boy:girl ratio compares at each school? Again this can become important for partnering work as they get older. Good luck with your decision.

Hi I don't have any knowledge of YDA  except that students who go there seem to do well in gaining places at Royal and Elmhurst etc .

Unless there are other overwhelming factors I would choose Elmhurst purely , and this is only an observation and my personal opinion , if you can get in at yr7 and work hard etc  you are more likely to stay for Upper School.

Not wanting to get into a pecking order debate but if you want purely classical ballet at 16 , where do you want after Royal usually ENB or Elmhurst . 

It is so much harder to get n Elmhurst at 16 , it definetly does not go back to a level playing field you are up against girls who have been to WL and International students. 

Good Luck to your dd 

• Like 1

Congratulations to your DD for being lucky to be offered both schools. I would say YDA is your best option if you consider both academic and dance training offered by both. As an example there were at least the same numbers of YDA dancers excepted into the current Elmhurst 6th form than those who were trained by Elmhurst from the lower school.

• Like 3

All good advice and what a lovely position to be in. :)  I'm not sure whether finance is an issue but as mentioned above, it might be worth working out relative costs for both schools, including accommodation costs and uniform.  

Also the relative merits of boarding vs homestay if commuting daily is not an option.  Elmhurst being a much bigger school with onsite boarding/medical facilities/canteen, as opposed to YDA and homestay.  Which would suit your dd better? 

• Like 2

Both are excellent schools however I would choose Elmhurst simply because come 6th form dancers from YDA aspire to go to Elmhurst alongside WL and ENBS. It's a no brainer in that your dd will already be there when it comes to auditioning for upper schools and if good enough will stay there. I would look closely at Elmhurst graduation destinations.

• Like 4

I'd choose Elmhurst but then I'm biased - ds was once Head Boy ;)

Personally we couldn't've afforded YDA either even with any scholarship-type they might've been able to offer.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 4