Cover Letters for Dance Companies

Ellie

Does anyone have any experience with these ? How to sound confident without gushing...How to list experience without boring the person reading it to death....? How to put down on paper that you admire and enjoy the company's work without sounding like your regurgitating every single thing that has ever been previously said ?

In case you hadn't noticed I get the shivers when it comes to cover letters, but have form and experience when it comes to Unis and 'normal' jobs. Is the cover letter for dance companies a recent thing ?

Yes, cover letters and "auditions by invitation only" are relatively new.  Once upon a time anyone who wanted to could audition, but the numbers are unworkable these days.  Too many dancers chasing too few jobs.  Really it is just the same as applications for Uni, of for non dancing jobs.  You have to convince them they want to see you.

• Like 1

DD just writes a short covering e-mail: Dear (name of director), my name is ............... and I am a graduating student of ...........I am very interested in auditioning for your company. (You could give some specific reason here as to why this company). Please find attached my curriculum vitae, photos and a link to my audition video. Kind regards, ....(name)

I think it's actually a good thing that there is some preselection before the physical audition. Previously, dancers could be cut just on initial appearance and before they even took class!

• Like 2

My DD would say about the same as Lucinda. Her covering email is short and expresses interest in auditioning - if it is to a specific requirement (like height, availability) or it is in response to an advert she will briefly state she meets the requirements/refer to the advert. And then she links in her cv, photos, video as required.

DD incidentally has 2 cvs. One is purely a dance cv (performance) and the other more general as it includes non-performing jobs too, like teaching, retail experience etc.

• Like 2