Press Release: Irek Mukhamedov joins Ivan Putrov’s new Men in Motion programme at London Coliseum

Irek Mukhamedov joins Ivan Putrov’s new Men in Motion programme at London Coliseum

“Showcasing male strength, beauty and diversity at its best” Harper’s Bazaar 

“It makes a pretty wonderful case for the male dancer” The Guardian

·       Dancers include Matthew Ball, Daniel Proietto and Edward Watson 
·       Arthur Pita to create new work for Irek Mukhamedov 
·       Accompanied by a live orchestra
·       Choreography from Fokine and Nijinsky to Maliphant  and Pita

Irek Mukhamedov, one of ballet’s all-time greats, joins the line-up of Men in Motion when Ivan Putrov’s celebration of the male dancer returns to the London Coliseum for two performances, November 22 and 23 

Since the first sold-out London run in 2012, dancer and producer Ivan Putrov has continued to develop Men in Motion, his “100 years in 100 minutes” exploration of the role of the male dancer over the past century through a range of brilliant and challenging choreography.  Looking forward to its fourth London staging, he said: 

“My interest in the changing role of the man in ballet has taken me on a fascinating journey, re-discovering some ground-breaking pieces of the 20th century, bringing outstanding contemporary works to new audiences and commissioning new ballets from some of today’s finest choreographers.’’ 

“The latest version of Men in Motion will feature familiar pieces and some new additions.  I look forward to working with the outstanding artists who will be joining me and am absolutely delighted to welcome Irek Mukhamedov who continues to be an inspiration both as performer and teacher to generations of dancers.” 

Mukhamedov, whose return to the London stage in English National Ballet’s Broken Wings last year won him a nomination for Outstanding Male Performance (Classical) in the National Dance Awards,   will perform a new work created for him by Arthur Pita. He said:

“Dancing is my life!  Being in the studio, passing on what I know to other dancers and, of course, performing, are what make life worthwhile.  I am really looking forward to working with Arthur Pita – the challenge of creating something new is always exciting for a dancer, young or old! I love being on stage and am thrilled that Men in Motion will allow me to take on a new journey of artistic discovery.”   

Award-winning dancers Matthew Ball, Daniel Proietto and Edward Watson are among those joining Ivan Putrov at the London Coliseum.  The evening features choreography ranging from Fokine and Nijinsky to Maliphant and Pita.  Ivan Putrov dances the role made famous by Nijinsky in Fokine’s Le Spectre de la rose.  Daniel Proietto  performs  Russell Maliphant’s exquisite Afterlight, inspired by Nijinsky.  Royal Ballet principal, Edward Watson reprises Arthur Pita’s comic but ultimately poignant Volver,Volver  which sees him move from matinee idol to Spiderman. Fellow Royal Ballet dancer  Matthew Ball,  makes his London Coliseum Men in Motion debut. 

The performance is accompanied by a live orchestra under the direction of Richard Bernas. 

MEN IN MOTION
Performances: 22 & 23 November 2017
Telephone: 020 7845 9300

Ivan Putrov Biography

Principal Dancer and Producer

He was born in Kyiv, Ukraine to a ballet family. Ivan trained at The Kyiv State Choreographic Institute and at The Royal Ballet School. Upon graduation Sir Anthony Dowell invited him to join the Company, where he became a Principal after three seasons. His repertory includes Principal roles in all the classics and ballets by MacMillan, Ashton, Balanchine, Fokine, Nijinsky, Tetley, Cranko, Bournonville, Robbins, De Valois, Zamuel, Goleizovsky, McGregor, Forsythe, Kylián, Maliphant, Bourne, De Frutos, Petit and Duato. International appearances include leading roles with National Ballet Companies of Cuba, Hungary, Ukraine, Lithuania, England, Mexico, Georgia, Vienna Staatsoper, Asami Maki Ballet Theatre and with The Royal Ballet in many of the world’s most renowned theatres. Awards include Premier Prix at the Prix de Lausanne; Gold medal at the Serge Lifar International Ballet Competition; Gold Medal at the Nijinsky Festival; Critics’ Circle National Dance Award; Medal for Work and Achievement from the President of Ukraine and has been made an Honorary Artist of Ukraine. He has worked with Mario Testino, Johnnie Shand-Kidd, Philip Haas, Nick Knight, Gary Hume, Sam Taylor-Wood and Pet Shop Boys on photographic, film and other creative projects. 

Ivan has performed at special events and charities in front of world leaders and royalty at various occasions and places including Buckingham Palace for the 101st birthday of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother.

The Pet Shop Boys have written The Most Incredible Thing for Ivan. This ballet was first performed at Sadler’s Wells in 2011 and has been filmed by the BBC.

In 2012 Ivan conceived and produced 'Men in Motion' at Saddler’s Wells Theatre, London. The show looks into a century of development of the male dancer in ballet theatre. Between 2012 and 2017 ‘Men in Motion’ had three successful runs in London, has been shown in Italy, Moscow, Poland and Ukraine.