Music that's NOT "Music for Ballet Class Vol.15 Turning Combinations"

TYR

if the music fits  does it really matter ? for barre and centre  the primary requirement is that the tempo matches the  speed of the  exercise ....

not talking adage  or  rep  though ...  it;s actually an argument   that  varying music can be used  for   barre and the  'exercises' part of centre work  etc  as long as it meets the needs of the exercise ... 

What argument - are you disagreeing with yourself?

Oh Whoops LinMM, sorry about that.

However I remember when I used to perform in Wisbech Cambs with the school at the Angles Theatre, it always used to be from non-classical music. That really wasn’t to my taste as I am a stickler for dancing from the Ballet classics, I did try and persuade them but sadly I failed. However I did have more success at my Lincoln class when I persuaded them to perform something from Coppelia.

Here are 3 pieces we danced to at the Angles Theatre :

Somewhere only we know Lilly Allen

Knights in White Satin Sensual Sax Le Valedon

Diamonds Rihanna.

The one outstanding thing I will say about performing at the Angles, they did a brilliant finale to end the show

Omg not THAT Lily Allen song!! Think the only way I would want to dance to that would be to send it up completely!!

One of these days though I wouldn't mind doing some choreography to one of the more dramatic Shirley Bassey songs .....which might make some groan!!

• Like 1

Speaking of Ennio Morricone, this would be just incredible for a really complicated, extension-cranking adage:

Note the weird counter-rhythmic bits during the verses...

Thanks TYR that's great absolutely love Joan Baez.....she can practically do no wrong for me.....  and you really made me laugh about the extension cranking adages!! 

i love adage though at my age is not my thing....well I can exaggerate the arms etc but the legs won't usually play ball for that 90 degree extension which looks so great especially for attitude positions which I really love to see.

i just have to pretend mine are like that...... and the inner feeling can be similar of course ....just don't look in the mirror!! The attempt to be in a lovely attitude position should give you some expression ( hopefully not of agony of effort) though.

It it is interesting topic though TYR so am glad you started it.

i think too there's a sort of difference between choreographing a piece of music intentionally and having music to support you in class where you are sort of learning/practising the dry bones of the technique so to speak.

for example I love the ballet the Rambert created to all music by the Stones......name escapes me at the moment ...but it's a glorious piece and you just want to get up and dance with them!! ( have asked them for an adult workshop on this piece) 

But somehow in the context of class music wouldnt be quite so attractive and be very difficult not to join in singing!!

• Like 1

Yes it can be fun to occasionally use pop or music from musicals, but I think it does detract from the classical ethos and risk becoming more like aerobics/zumba. I am very conscious that my classes and performances may be the only place students are exposed to classical music. So I consider it my duty to incorporate the music into my classical ballet teaching.

• Like 3

I'm still developing an opinion about all this. Having only seen one ballet, it's hard for me to know the art of the possible.

But things I would like to see set to dance:

Danse Sacree et Danse Profane   By  Claude Debussy
Metamorphis 4    by Phillip Glass

I've also had a hand in writing computer generated music myself. Try for yourself. It's fun:

RichieN: my modern class last year did a recital piece to "Elastic Heart" - the boss is a big Sia fan (I get the impression a *lot* of dancers are) although I'm...not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TYR said:

RichieN: my modern class last year did a recital piece to "Elastic Heart" - the boss is a big Sia fan (I get the impression a *lot* of dancers are) although I'm...not.

Yes, both my DD's dance group did a Sia medley at the Birmingham Hippodrome recently. Both my girls are mad about Sia - so naturally, I am a fan by proxy.

RichieN really sorry not keen on any of the above tracks posted.

i love the original Adelle song too much for it to be "mashed up" and don't think this is an improvement anyway. Even just Adelles song as a piano piece in itself would be okay. 

i really didn't like the electronic music that much as it is verging on "Muzak" to me though the second track might be okay for some turns across the room!! 

However I do like your suggestions of Debussy ...and Glass...music to Metamorphosis!! 

6 hours ago, LinMM said:

RichieN really sorry not keen on any of the above tracks posted.

i love the original Adelle song too much for it to be "mashed up" and don't think this is an improvement anyway. Even just Adelles song as a piano piece in itself would be okay. 

i really didn't like the electronic music that much as it is verging on "Muzak" to me though the second track might be okay for some turns across the room!! 

However I do like your suggestions of Debussy ...and Glass...music to Metamorphosis!! 

I was putting them out there as an example that perhaps people would like to try and write their own music. Sure beats complaining about it..

BTW... anyone who wants to try to write their own music can download a free music studio software program here:

https://lmms.io/

This is open source software, costs you nothing and if it's something that you like, you can buy something better (more expensive) later. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Re composing ..... My daughter uses GarageBand, but not sure if this is still just an Apple thing or not. Perhaps she might compose some music for ballet class ..... could make an interesting GCSE Music project, anyway .....!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glissade said:

Re composing ..... My daughter uses GarageBand, but not sure if this is still just an Apple thing or not. Perhaps she might compose some music for ballet class ..... could make an interesting GCSE Music project, anyway .....!

Yes, Garage Band is pretty good if you have an Apple Mac.

Other good (expensive) music studio software:

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/

http://www.image-line.com/flstudio/

https://www.propellerheads.se/

http://www.magix.com/us/samplitude-music-studio/

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/start.html

Well guess which music we had for plies on Tuesday night....just the piano version of Adelles song "someone like you"

After all the discussion here did have a little smile to myself!!

Im sure it can be fun making up your own music for ballet or otherwise.

But I'm not complaining about there being NO music around for ballet that I like .....there's loads of lovely music that's great for dancing ballet .....just getting a compilation ( if cannot have a live pianist) that is reasonably inspiring.

i haven't got an iPod but presumably it must be easier these days to create your own compilation of music you want ( or would like to be used)

years ago when ran a ballet club at a primary school it was just the old record player and I ruined loads of records taking the needle on and off various tracks I used from my classical collection.

it was great when tapes came in and thought It was particularly "hip" to eventually have a recorder with numbers on so you could find your place quickly again!!!

How things have changed since then....amazing!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Well guess which music we had for plies on Tuesday night....just the piano version of Adelles song "someone like you"

After all the discussion here did have a little smile to myself!!

Im sure it can be fun making up your own music for ballet or otherwise.

But I'm not complaining about there being NO music around for ballet that I like .....there's loads of lovely music that's great for dancing ballet .....just getting a compilation ( if cannot have a live pianist) that is reasonably inspiring.

i haven't got an iPod but presumably it must be easier these days to create your own compilation of music you want ( or would like to be used)

years ago when ran a ballet club at a primary school it was just the old record player and I ruined loads of records taking the needle on and off various tracks I used from my classical collection.

it was great when tapes came in and thought It was particularly "hip" to eventually have a recorder with numbers on so you could find your place quickly again!!!

How things have changed since then....amazing!!

phones  with music player features / ipods are a real boon to the use of recorded music in any scenario ...  if you look at a lot of DJs  they  work from   computer with various bits attached  and a lot of  radio output is  delivered electronically  ( hopefully  reducing  the number of peel esque ' oh dear i appear to have put that on at the wrong speed' moments)  ( although it doesn;t stop teachers  selecting  the piece for the 'wrong' class  when doing an exercise which is similar / identical apart from speed )...

• 2 months later...