Major incident in Westminster

MAB

There has been a major incident on Westminster Bridge/outside parliament.  Area in lockdown, please listen to radio/watch telly and be prepared to abort plans for central London tonight.  The area is in lockdown and tube is closed. 

This seems far worse than the initial reports, the eyewitness reports are pretty terrible.  Chillingly it is the anniversary of the Brussels terrorist attacks, there have been fatalities, had I known that, I wouldn't have worded my earlier post in terms of travel chaos.

• Like 1

It's a practical response, I wouldn't worry about it: I'm sort of hoping we're at the period where casualties are exaggerated, but I fear not. (Although last I looked those reports were sourced to a junior doctor who shouldn't have been commenting.)

Sounds as though the perpetrator is one of the fatalities. I hope the police can figure out the motive anyway.

Seeing some horrifying photos of the aftermath. So far it's being reported that there are four people dead. I hope that number doesn't increase.

Thoughts with the families, friends and colleagues of those killed and injured. A terrible day. Hoping those of you in London are safe.

Thoughts and sincere gratitude to our Emergency Services workers too.

• Like 16

Well said, Anna C.

Strange atmosphere in central London this evening - helicopters overhead and people subdued but still going about their business. I went to the (wonderful) Ballet Assocation talk by Zenaida Yanowsky; the large crowd indicated that no-one had been cowed by the terrible events in Westminster.

But so sad and shocking. And such bravery displayed by so many people.

• Like 8

I was pleased that the atmosphere in London yesterday was back to normal, I took the bus round Parliament Square and then Downing Street and there were loads of people in the sunshine, Westminster Bridge Road was absolutely packed with crowds,

very heartening!

• Like 1

To counter all the horrible things that happen I came across this lovely video on You Tube today of a man who was originally from Iraq and now living in the States.  If you go to You Tube and type in the title " The foster father who cares when terminally ill kids have no one". Such a wonderful man.

I thought the anti brexit demo in London on Saturday, was a little insensitive being so early after last weeks carnage in the Westminster area. They could have either cancelled the march, or maybe changed the route, instead of having it so near where the incidents took place. It's maybe good that there wasn't too many taking part, instead of the tens of thousands stated by some of the press.

If a return to normality was desirable then the demo was part of that normality, the week before there had been an anti racism demo and the week before that a pro NHS demo.  Demonstrations in the Whitehall area are pretty much the norm regardless of numbers or what they are about.

• Like 2

I can think of nothing that would give greater comfort or encouragement to those who wish us harm than the kerbing of a lawful and peaceful demonstration. It so happens that I am in sympathy with the demonstrators' cause but I would have been of exactly the same opinion had the demonstration been in support of a cause that I oppose so long as the demo was conducted lawfully and peacefully.

• Like 1