National youth ballet 2017

tattielashes

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been able to logon for ages as my iPad has been out of action and I couldn't remember my log on details to get on via my phone!

is anyone one else worried about the residential? DD over the moon but I'm v nervous as she's never been away from home before.how many children to a room I wonder? It's the practical things I worry about....currently trying not to teach her how to get her waist length hair into a passable bun....!

she did see a couple of familiar faces from EYB and Hammond audition at finals so I'm hoping those children have also got through too.

Tattielashes, try not to worry too much about the residential, especially as your DD is so excited about it - you don't want her to pick up on your nervousness ;)She will enjoy being with like-minded children and they will all help each other with hair etc - if your DD's hair is very difficult then I am sure that a house mother or older student will help her. 

What a wonderful opportunity for her! 

• Like 2

DD is quiet and reserved, so we were surprised when she was keen to attend summer school but she loved it. It was helpful that most of the children were in the same boat, ie they didn't go with a friend. Friendships were soon made and a lot of fun was had by all, along with enjoyment of a taste of 'boarding school' life and the novelty of dance classes every day! And she reminded me the other day that there were always willing helpers when someone couldn't find their shoes/had forgotten an item/needed help with putting their hair into a bun ;)

Edited by Legseleven
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 20:47, Ms Sunshine said:

Last year I think we sent the application mid December and the 1st audition was February. Hope that helps x

Have we missed the deadline?  I haven't seen anything yet and DD thinks I have forgotten.  To be honest I did! :(

I think its in the next few days the audition dates and applications are announced. They have a facebook page. Hope that helps. I'm still undecided about the a summer school for my dd. NYB was amazing last year but said she would be happy to do OPES again as she loved that the year before.

Thanks - good to know that we haven't missed it however not much information on the web site about what the process is or the cost.  Where will they be this year?  I can see that it was Birmingham last year.  We saw the show in London last year and the standard is obviously high.  We have also looked at EYB.  Has anyone done both?  How does it compare?  Ms Sunshine, I noted that you are considering OPES instead.  DDs pen friend went there last year and her parents have asked if we might consider applying so the girls can go together.  What did your DD like about OPES?  Sorry for all the questions?  I am now confused about what we should consider for the summer.

Edited by Newdancermum

17 hours ago, Newdancermum said:

Thanks - good to know that we haven't missed it however not much information on the web site about what the process is or the cost.  Where will they be this year?  I can see that it was Birmingham last year.  We saw the show in London last year and the standard is obviously high.  We have also looked at EYB.  Has anyone done both?  How does it compare?  Ms Sunshine, I noted that you are considering OPES instead.  DDs pen friend went there last year and her parents have asked if we might consider applying so the girls can go together.  What did your DD like about OPES?  Sorry for all the questions?  I am now confused about what we should consider for the summer.

NYB was more effort with 2 auditions before she got a place. We had a long way to travel and hotels before the summer school and while she was in theatre in Birmingham and Sadler Wells.  She had the time of her life and we met friends for life. Opes was simple was no auditions with a lovely end of week show. But nothing compared to how grand and special NYB was if you can afford the extra's. x

On 05/01/2018 at 17:14, Ms Sunshine said:

NYB was more effort with 2 auditions before she got a place. We had a long way to travel and hotels before the summer school and while she was in theatre in Birmingham and Sadler Wells.  She had the time of her life and we met friends for life. Opes was simple was no auditions with a lovely end of week show. But nothing compared to how grand and special NYB was if you can afford the extra's. x

Are you comparing the cost of one or two weeks of Opes? Is NYB comparable in cost to EYB?  

10 hours ago, Newdancermum said:

Is NYB comparable in cost to EYB?  

From memory, NYB last year was about £830 for Residential Summer School (10 Days) and performances. Additional costs were Uniform (minimum a cast T-shirt and NYB Leotard), travel to/from Summer School and theatres and hotels/meals for the evening before SS drop off day and during the performances. We ended up needing 5 nights in hotels. Then there are tickets to see the shows.  It does add up but my DD enjoyed it immensely. 

10 hours ago, Balletmum1704 said:

From memory, NYB last year was about £830 for Residential Summer School (10 Days) and performances. Additional costs were Uniform (minimum a cast T-shirt and NYB Leotard), travel to/from Summer School and theatres and hotels/meals for the evening before SS drop off day and during the performances. We ended up needing 5 nights in hotels. Then there are tickets to see the shows.  It does add up but my DD enjoyed it immensely. 

Thanks for the information - lots to factor in.

48 minutes ago, Confuddled said:

Has anyone spotted the details for this year (auditions times, where the summer school is going to be held, dates etc)? I've had a quick look at NYB's website which says 8 Jan on Facebook, but there's nothing on Facebook as far as I can tell.

Hi, I messaged them on Facebook and they said nothing has been put out yet and they’re hoping to do it this week. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/02/2018 at 13:17, Newdancermum said:

How will audition days work?  Can anyone enlighten on the possible timings? Found out yesterday that DD has exam prep on the audition day so want to know if we can now fit both in? 

Last year the initial audition was only between 11-12.  The recall in London was 10- 1 I think, but they did ask you to be available until 2pm