National youth ballet 2017

tattielashes

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She's just 10 and it's her 1st time auditioning. She's in Grade 3. I think anyone 8 and over can audition but I'm not sure. Desperately hoping someone with reams of information will pop up hahahaha

My DD is 10 and through to Finals too. She was a JA last year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Happy to answer any questions, though wouldn't claim to be an NYB expert!

Edited by Balletmum1704
  • Like 2

It might be worth checking with them. I have found the office very helpful. The original information said that there would be some residential places for older JAs. I wonder if the letter that was sent with them recall information is a change or whether it is really intended for the Main Cast Dancers? Certainly, the bit about groupings and seeing different choreographers seems more relevant to how I understand the main cast auditions are run.

From reading the letter there doesn't seem to be an option for day pupils. Although they did say the JA would be day pupil sthere is no mention of it on the letter and no price option for it either.

It might be worth checking with them. I have found the office very helpful. The original information said that there would be some residential places for older JAs. I wonder if the letter that was sent with them recall information is a change or whether it is really intended for the Main Cast Dancers? Certainly, the bit about groupings and seeing different choreographers seems more relevant to how I understand the main cast auditions are run.

This year they are actively encouraging all dancers to take up the residential offer.

Edited by Newdancermum

Am I right to understand that NYB is held at Elmhurst not Tring this year? Is this a very recent change?

When details of this year was announced back last December it said they would be at Elmhurst.  It may have been a late decision as the dates they would have been at Tring are not taken up with anything else.  This may just be for the 30th anniversary - my understanding is that they used to be based in Birmingham.  I think the gala will still be at Sadler's Wells.  There is no indication as to whether or not this is a one off or if they will move around the country in future years, stay at Elmhurst or move back to Tring.

Ms sunshine, am I right in thinking your DD got into Hammond associates as well? Is she year 5.? X

Hi. She is a very petit year 4 girl and yes she is starting Hammond as a associate in September. I am very happy if she can stay residential. She would love every minute. Last year she did one week OPES summer school and was wanting to stay residential but I said no as I thought she was too young. x

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, tattielashes said:

Yes my little one is excited but I'm as nervous as anything!  We are borrowing a national skirt from her dance teacher just in case.

when are you travelling down? We are goin Saturday evening and staying over in a travel lodge.

We are staying over night at Premier Inn Angel Islington. 20 min walk to Central ballet School or a taxi ride I think. Looks like the tubes are partly closed Sunday morning in that area from what I can make out. x

I don't know where you are travelling from but do look out for a London Transport Office and get a map for the London Buses.

It has revolutionised my life and I rarely use the tube now - I either walk or work out which buses to use.  Be aware though that you have to have an Oyster card or contactless card to use the buses.  They do not accept cash.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tattielashes said:

Oh no you're joking? The only hotel I could get was about a 30 min tube ride away!

Have you checked out the tube on Transport for London site? It depends on what direction you are coming from. I'm sure you will be fine x

• Like 1

How did everyone find the audition yesterday? My DD loved it and said that they were told that results could be with us this week. I hope so as it would seem a long wait until the week of 22nd May which is what the email originally said. I was surprised that there were so few at Finals this year. Last year there looked to be about 70, this year about 40.

My dd loved it as well. She said she was a sailor in one of the dances. She said they were put in 3 groups at the end so I guess we will know in a week if its the yes, reserve or no group! (She thought her group was the smallest so we are guessing reserve.)

• Like 1

8 year old DD also had a lovely time at her finals audition. She said they had to do some improvisation which she loved and were split into 2 groups at the end. 7 of them were brought forward at the end and switched into height order and a photo taken. Then the others were stood in a semi circle around the room and also photographed. I've tried and failed to work out what that means! Only the email will put us in the know!! 

Either way, she enjoyed the experience so we'll definitely try again next year! 

• Like 2

Congrats Balletmum1704

My DD and her friend were also successful. We have very happy girls tonight. I must say, I'm nervous about 10 days away at 8 years old, but we're too far away to bring DD every day. She's keen though!

Now to start saving up!!!

• Like 3