DS in the Icons of Russian Ballet at the Coliseum

CeliB

Well am delighted to report that DS had a fantastic time performing at the Coli amongst such an amazing cast- he got to have company class at the Royal with all the principals, dance on home turf for the first time ever, and was even startled to be asked for autographs at the stage door! He made some new friends too :) 

And even better the Director of the Bolshoi liked their performance so much that the 3 in the Fairly Dolls Pas de Trois are off to Moscow on Sunday to perform at the Bolshoi as part of a gala....

I know I am not a ballet expert to be able to really judge their performance but I did think DS seemed to be really sparkling and to be enjoying himself immensely and from where I was sitting the Vaganova students got one of the biggest rounds of applause.

There was a short interview on Russian TV which has a snippet of the performance (as well as a few snippets of the other performances) for anyone interested :)

https://tvkultura.ru/article/show/article_id/170067

• Like 20

For me the Vaganova students were one of the highlights of the evening and could have been mistaken for professionals.  Delighted to hear they're off to wow Moscow next, sincere congratulations to your son and his fellow students.

• Like 4

I thought they were terrific CeliB such professionals....not easy with comparative little rehearsal time and on a strange stage and in such illustrious company hanging around in the wings to pull off what I thought was such a relaxed and confident performance!! The characterisation was brill and those split jumps....I'm sure your DS put in a couple of extra ones!! Felt quite tearful at that point....remembering that little 14 year old I saw for the first time in class in Brighton and even back then thought wow who is he!!

So pleased to hear the Moscow news too how exciting for them all.

Fairy Dolls is a lovely little ballet and at the Mariinsky the sets were gorgeous too.

• Like 1

Nice comments and a lovely photograph in the DanceTabs review of the gala, CeliB.

Many thanks! it is a nice review in the main- tho' a little harsh on poor Xander. I understand (via DS) it is a difficult piece for a taller dancer...

Spoke to DS today and he had a fantastic time and is now completely in love with the Bolshoi. So impressed with the quality of the stages, the grandeur of the whole establishment and the ethos of the company. He knows some of the new company members, as they graduated from vaganova last year, and he got to have a chat about how life is in the company- it seems that despite being a huge company the corps members frequently get given soloist roles and are definitely nurtured to progress in their careers.

He also (such a small world!) bumped into a former teacher from London Russian Ballet School who is now dancing with the Bolshoi (and who couldn't believe DS had only been in Russia a year and was so fluent in the language- in fact DS says he now sometimes has to tell folk he is English as they assume he is Russian), did company class with the principals and had the best stage make up for Fairy Dolls ever (it is fabulous I have to say- he sent a pic). He and his 2 partners were the only students there dancing with the company so a huge honour.

He didn't think it was his best performance (was a bit thrown by how huge the stage is compared with Mariinsky) but had a very funny moment where he snatched the rose from his fellow clown to give to the fairy doll, and the flower head fell off- quite by chance his fellow clown caught the rose - and all 3 of them then ad libbed- when DS went to present it to the fairy she shook her head and he acted astonished to only have a stalk- clown 2 then shoved him aside and presented the flower head, DS made a super sad face and offered his hand, which she accepted - making it obvious she was taking pity on him... I thought it was amazing that the three of the managed to pull this off - (Tsiska in the audience was apparently laughing his head off).

Anyway they must have done ok as DS asked for a day off today and they were granted one :) 

• Like 7

Thanks for such a vivid report. I was at the Coliseum Gala and commented here, and to friends, on just how good the Vaganova contribution was, especially the Pas de 3.

I was reminded of the Bolshoi Gala by yesterday's Sunday Times interview with Diana Vishneva who reiterated her view about the differences between the Bolshoi and Mariinsky styles and schools; and the need to maintain them. Glad your son and partners were treated well and had such a great time there. 

Interesting what you say about the Bolshoi corps. In various recent interviews, Maziev emphasises that he has a kind of "open door" - if any member of the company wants to "show him something", he'll make time to have a look and then consider what it means in terms of roles etc. Seems it's not just "talk". 

• Like 2