Bolshoi Ballet coming - summer 2013!!!

Just been on the Bolshoi website and under 'tours' it announces Ballet Company tour in London, 29th July - 17th August 2013. No further details at all; you can't click on the link yet. Still it's great to know the dates so far in advance. Do you think the Hochhausers will request Osipova and Vasiliev to 'guest'? I hope so though the Bolshoi are stll great even without them. A three week season too. Hopefully, we'll see some rep they haven't danced here such as Flames and Esmerelda. Joan

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news to hear the Bolshoi are coming back! My wish list includes Esmerelda and Pharoah's Daughter and Bright Stream as well as Don Q although if they don't do Don Q it won't surprise me. Looking forward to perhaps seeing Evgenia Obratsova and Nina Kaptsova as Principals, I can't see them inviting Osipova and Vasiliev - it would be fun if the Mikhailovsky come to London too - they are overdue a trip! I suspect we may be in for Russian overload next year, better start saving now :)

Yes, I would like to see Pharoah's Daugher and Bright Stream too. It seems ages since they were performed in London. It would be great to see ballets we don't get the chance to see in this country.

• Like 1

Great news, I'm fully prepared to cut back on everything else and save up if Bright Stream is on the list. Is there a new Hochhauser website, btw? The one I'm subscribed to seems stuck in a time warp with the latest update showing as the BRB Nutcracker at the O2 in December 2011.

I suspect they will not update their website until all details of the tour are known; what ballets being performed when etc. I don't think they ever have just bare details like on the Bolshoi website. They like to have all the info. before they go public so it may be a while yet. I suppose this is fair enough; as the promoters they would be bombarded with enquiries so they're better waiting. From a personal point of view I find it helpful having the dates so I can think about booking time off work.

It is worth registering with their website as you do often get some advance notice for booking though not , alas, any discount. it is a pity they can't adapt the Coliseum policy of giving a discount for multiple bookings. it would especially help those of us who have to add transport and hotel costs to a hefty theatre bill. Joan

• 6 months later...

The followng dates have been listed in ROH's latest "About The House".

Swan Lake

29, 30, 31 July and 1, 10, 14, 15 August at 7.30pm

10 August at 2pm

La Bayadere

2, 3 August at 7.30pm

3 August at 2pm

The Sleeping Beauty

5, 6, 7, 8, 9 August at 7.30pm

Classical Symphony/The Rite of Spring/Diamonds

12, 13 August at 7.30pm

The Flames of Paris

16, 17 August at 7.30pm

17 August at 2pm

Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty: £120, £110, £97, £85, £70, £60, £50, £42, £32, £25, £18, £10, £8

La Bayadere, Triple Bill, The Flames of Paris: £110, £97, £85, £80, £66, £55, £45, £36, £27, £22, £15, £10, £8

• Like 2

Have just answered my own question - the following is taken from the Bolshoi website -

From 29 June to 17 August 2013 the Bolshoi Ballet Company’s traditional

three-week season at London’s Royal Opera House will take place.

I'm so glad the company are coming back to London this promises to be inspiring! Thanks for sharing all of this info :)

Osipova and Vasiliev were amazing in 2010 when they came over with the Bolshoi I specifically booked tickets just to see them perform together I managed to gain a last minute seat in the director's box for Le Corsaire which gave an excellent view of the wings and a close up of 3/4 stage - an amazing introduction to ballet as it was the first ever live performance I had seen! I hope to see Zakharova perform this time around as she was on maternity leave during the 2010 tour I would have loved to see her perform Giselle not only because it's my favourite ballet but also because she seems amazingly suited to the role.

The Bolshoi's performances coincide nicely with my summer intensive at London Amateur Ballet so I will be snapping up some tickets once they are on sale for Swan Lake and Bayadere, does anyone have any idea when tickets are normally released?

Booking dates - Period 4 - Summer 2013

• Tuesday 26 February - Premium 2 Friends booking opens (online and telephone sales, including rehearsals)
  • Wednesday 27 February - Premium 1 Friends booking opens (online and telephone sales, including rehearsals)
  • Friday 1 March - Supporting Friends booking opens (online and telephone sales)
  • Tuesday 5 March - Friends booking for packages (advance booking offers) opens - telephone only
  • Tuesday 12 March at 10am - Friends' booking for BALLET opens
  • Wednesday 13 March at 10am - Friends' booking for OPERA opens
  • Friday 15 March - Ticket exchange opens for Premium Friends
  • Tuesday 19 March - Rehearsal booking opens for Joint and Supporting Friends (by telephone and online)
  • Wednesday 20 March - Rehearsal booking opens for all other Friends (by telephone and online)
  • Tuesday 2 April - All other Friends ticket exchanges and booking for additional tickets, including rehearsals
  • Tuesday 9 April - Public booking opens

• Like 1

Thanks Hobbit for the programming and Caspermil for the booking dates. I personally find the programme very disappointing. 12 days of Swan lake and Sleeping beauty with just 2 days each given to the other 3 programmes. Much as I like Bayadere I would have far preferred to see Pharoah's Daughter, Bright Stream or even Esmerelda which hasn't been performed here yet. At least it means a cheaper summer than it has been for their last few visits.

• Like 2

part of me is thinking - do I really want to go see a company who settle internal disputes/rivalries with acid in the face? But then, who am I kidding, I'll probably go to loads :-(

You made the right decision, zxDaveM. Go to loads. It is not the dancers who use acid.

I'll see what the situation is nearer the time. Edit: although I doubt the situation will have changed significantly by the time booking opens anyway, but there are certainly potential consequences arising from the attack which might cause me to consider boycotting.

Edited by alison
Clarification

When I first read of the attack on Sergei Filin I was determined to boycott the Season, I am still not sure. Luckily it's a very depressing repertoire for me, loads of Swan Lakes, 5 Sleeping Beauties, and only 3 Bayaderes, 3 Flames and 2 triple bills (don't even like Classical Symphony) so I won't be going as much as usual if I do go!

I know it's nothing to do with the dancers, suppose it depends on whether Sergei Filin wishes it to go ahead.

It is not the dancers who use acid.

Do we know this? I personally will be boycotting this until the full facts are known.

I could not stand the thought of applauding someone who might be involved in this...

I personally cannot believe that any dancer will aim to deprive another dancer of eyesight.

• Like 2

Back after ages - hi guys,

Why all the Swan Lakes - did no one point out that the ABT nearly sunk themselves when the danced a programme with a lot of Swan Lakes in it. I wonder when Sergei Filin invited Osipova / Vasiliev back if he knew they would be dancing in London earlier in year.

I am really looking forward to The Rites of Spring and Flames of Paris.

Are the Bolshoi known to be good at La Bayadere? What's Flames of Paris like?

Bolshoi brought La Bayadere to Japan a few years ago, and they were really so amazing in that, I ended up seeing every cast of the run. Sergei Filin was not so much impressive as Solor at that time but his entrechats in Pharaoh's Daughter (at the same tour) were so beautiful with such elevation, just beyond words. Nadezida Grecheva's Nikiya was such a spiritual and beautiful portrayal, also Maria Allash and Ekaterina Shipuilna in the leads were wonderful. The character dancing is the best in the world and also Shades were fabulous. Nikolai Tsiskaridze's Solor was unique and very flashy but good too, Bayadere is a ballet that you can see the best of Bolshoi I think. (at that time Oshipova was still in the corps!)

Dancing Times gives the following casting: 'Dancers expected to appear in London include Maria Alexandrova, Maria Allash, Nina Kaptsova, Svetlana Lunkina, Anna Nikulina, Evgenia Obraztsova, Ekaterina Shipulina, Anastasia Stashkevich, Olga Smirnova, Semyon Chudin, David Hallberg, Mikhail Lobukhin, Viacheslav Lopatin, Artem Ovcharenko, Ruslan Skvortsov and Nikolai Tsiskaridze.' And, I very much hope, Andrey Merkuriev!

Are the Bolshoi known to be good at La Bayadere? What's Flames of Paris like?

Have a look at The Flames of Paris dvd with Osipova and Vasiliev, available from Amazon for about £20. Wasn't expecting to like it, but it's one of my favourites, really vibrant and energetic, wonderful dancing.

Edited by Caspermil

I also was considering not going - I could not stand the thought of applauding someone who might be involved in this...

Osipova / Vasiliev are supposed to dance Flames and no other ballet, right ?

Osipova/Vasiliev aren't mentioned in the preliminary cast list published by Dancing Times, I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Dancing Times gives the following casting: 'Dancers expected to appear in London include Maria Alexandrova, Maria Allash, Nina Kaptsova, Svetlana Lunkina, Anna Nikulina, Evgenia Obraztsova, Ekaterina Shipulina, Anastasia Stashkevich, Olga Smirnova, Semyon Chudin, David Hallberg, Mikhail Lobukhin, Viacheslav Lopatin, Artem Ovcharenko, Ruslan Skvortsov and Nikolai Tsiskaridze.' And, I very much hope, Andrey Merkuriev!

No Krysanova or Antonicheva and no Gudanov either.