The Royal Ballet: The Human Seasons / After the Rain / Flight Pattern, March 2017

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the ending of Flight Patterns, whilst a bravado piece of dancing, does seem a little out of place - the escape of frustration seems too vigorous somehow, after what went before. Still, its an utterly transfixing piece and I can't wait to see it again

And from FLOSS's post above: I am puzzled by solo at the end as it seems to reduce the impact of what has gone before. 

My interpretation is that it is much more than the escape of frustration....isn't it the raw agony of losing a child?  If that is the case, then Sambe conveys it most convincingly and, indeed, heart-wrenchingly, and for me doesn't reduce the impact of what has gone before at all:  this is the tragedy of desperate people risking everything to give their children a decent chance of survival, and then to lose that child.....it is the most tragic thing that can happen to anyone, no matter what the circumstances.  So for me, it only deepens what has gone before.

• Like 10

On Twitter earlier this evening:

https://twitter.com/doublediamond1/status/843194279627554817

Make of it what you will.

But the reviews haven't been uniformly bad - at least one was very positive (though at least one was very scathing too). Obviously London is going to be one of the most demanding places to show a work, which is at it should be. Unfortunately if you're going to stage works you do need to be prepared for them to be criticised (and maybe even sometimes learn from the criticism). But that's easy for me to say - it must be horrible to put your work on show and have it condemned. But it would be good if he could focus on the positive comments rather than reacting only to the negative.

• Like 4

If that means we won't be subject to Human Seasons again I won't be shedding any tears :)

But on a serious note, & assuming Dawson isn't being tongue in cheek it's a childish reaction, aren't critics allowed to voice a negative opinion ?

• Like 7

The 'public' reaction of David Dawson to the reviews The Human Seasons has been receiving is one he will surely come to regret. After all, critical appraisal is part and parcel of all artistic endeavour.

A second opportunity to show this work at the RB within 4 years was a wonderful gift for Dawson and, perhaps, a chance to revisit the piece to give greater clarity to his 'message'.

He has also been given just about the best casting (both casts) that a choreographer could possibly dream of. He's a very lucky man, not a hard-done by one.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 9

The implication that Human Seasons should not have been shown?

Well, she says 'let's see no more of this, please' so she clearly thinks it's not a piece worth programming. And it's her right to say so if that's what she thinks. She outlines her reasons for disliking the work at some length and with great precision and force - I think it's good and powerful writing, whether or not I agree with it. 

• Like 5

Hmm, this is an unfortunate thing to have said. What if SB wants to bring its Swan Lake to London or ENB wants to revive A Million Kisses to my Skin? Is he going to deny these companies permission to perform these works in London?

I really liked the Dawson piece and was glad it was brought back for a second run. Yes, its not perfect (not so keen on the running about or floor dragging, and the usual cry from me - more light!) but loved some of the shapes he put the dancers into, and most the steps seemed well suited to the score, which I also enjoyed. The other cast was also pretty much a dream cast for me, not that the opening night cast was exactly shabby either!

After the Rain is always a delight to these tired old eyes, especially when its danced as vividly as we had with both casts. Originally, I'd always be wishing away the first section to get to the more famous duet to Spiegel im Spiegel but these days, I'm almost preferring the opening section, as Claire Calvert (twice), Itziar Mendizabal and Tierney Heap dazzled for me.

As for Flight Patterns - don't think I have good enough vocabulary to praise it enough to be honest. Kristen McNally was simply astonishing.

In short, a terrific triple bill as far as i'm concerned

• Like 6

True. And again it's the extreme nature of some British based critics. Dawson is very successful in Germany where I've seen more of his work, and he's got another big commission coming up at DNB. Sometimes I think there is a Royal Ballet curse where good choreographers sometimes don't create their best work on the company. I remember Tetley, Neumeier did their best work elsewhere, two off MacMillans's biggest Song and Requiem were Stuttgart, Ratmansky didn't do his best, Schechter again wasn't his best...and also Dawson. Of course Pite (love love love) broke the curse - but even one critic said it wasn't her best. Just a thought.

• Like 1

As for Flight Pattern - don't think I have good enough vocabulary to praise it enough to be honest. 

I know the feeling zxDaveM. With emotionally draining works, I find I need a number of viewings to let them seep into my soul before I am able to gather my thoughts and utter anything remotely coherent.

• Like 4

He is - understandably - offended by what he has read.

And some critics have been - understandably - offended by what they have seen. Or is choreography which has female dancers dragged around the floor and, as I understand, suffering burn marks as a result acceptable where the honest views of experienced critics aren't?

• Like 1

Hmm, this is an unfortunate thing to have said. What if SB wants to bring its Swan Lake to London or ENB wants to revive A Million Kisses to my Skin? Is he going to deny these companies permission to perform these works in London?

I'm not privy to either contract but I do know a few things about dance and ballet contracts and I very much doubt it's his say. At best he may have only given performance rights away for a few years, in which case he is under no obligation to extend. But managments want rights for a long time of course and its probably best viewed as a buyers market. Of course if your name is Matthew Bourne or Crystal Pite you are in a sellers market!

But it was a silly thing to have said.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 7

And some critics have been - understandably - offended by what they have seen. Or is choreography which has female dancers dragged around the floor and, as I understand, suffering burn marks as a result acceptable where the honest views of experienced critics aren't?

Burn marks? If so this does raise some interesting questions

Of course there is a lot of bruising and battering all round, I am sure.

But I think Lizbie1 raises a valid point about some of the choreography. I remember not liking some of these moves last time, and several critics and some posters here mention their discomfort at the sight of female dancers being dragged face down on the floor. I think that is a very fair point to make.

• Like 4

Human Seasons. So the choreographer has just shown he takes his work seriously (and perhaps that he is thin-skinned). Good. Ok. But what of the work itself?

Having recently read a large number of posts about Sleepng Beauty, I admit to being astonished at the number of people who cheerfully posted that they find Sleeping Beauty "boring". Not how it has been danced by someone/s, not any particular production nor any particular performance nor under any particular conductor, but the actual work itself.

So if The Sleepng Beauty is "boring", what on earth is Human Seasons? Sorry.

• Like 1

Russian Seasons was a little bit boring in places to me......(Russian v Human Seasons! I will decide after seeing HS again this week.)

But it has so much to do with the production (especially lighting as what bores me most of all is not being able to see the performers) and the performances that for a ballet itself to be truly boring surely takes some doing.

• Like 1