The Royal Ballet: The Human Seasons / After the Rain / Flight Pattern, March 2017

A bit early to be starting a thread on this yet, when the run doesn't start until Thursday, but I wonder if anyone has splits yet for the programme (and/or can confirm that the running order is as above)?  All the ROH website says is running time 2 hrs 35 minutes, and my reminder from the ROH was simply tacked on to an email about my last Sleeping Beauty booking, and didn't give the split times.  I'm guessing there will be significant intervals.

I'm also stunned to see that 8 performances of this are scheduled, schools' matinee included.  Perhaps that partly explains why there seem to be so many seats left.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to say how disappointed and frustrated I find it that Pite's new piece has been burdened with such a lacklustre programme-After The Rain has been over programmed to death these last few years and Human Seasons is pleasant enough to watch but it is certainly not a piece that I would come specifically to see.

The fact that Pite is the first female choreographer in far too long to be commissioned for the main stage is a huge a deal and the poor ticket sales will probably be used an an excuse to continue to exclude and marginalise  women choreographers. I'll go to see this solely for Pite's piece, but if it had more compelling or intriguing companion works I would go multiple times. Also 55 minutes of intervals for 125 minutes of dance... is not great is it? Or do other members think I'm being overly harsh?  Interested as always in what people think here. 

Looking forward to the reviews and hopefully a viewing next week.

• Like 5

the poor ticket sales will probably be used an an excuse to continue to exclude and marginalise  women choreographers.

Over 90% of the tickets are sold already, which is, I would say, slightly higher than the average advance sale for a triple bill.  As to your second suggestion, do you have any evidence to suggest that this is indeed the case?

• Like 1

Cast changes on the ROH website

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-changes-the-human-seasons-after-the-rain

The Human Seasons:
Edward Watson is replaced by Vadim Muntagirov on 16, 18, 21 and 24 March.

Vadim Muntagirov is replaced by Nicol Edmonds in The Human Seasons on 17, 20 and 23 March.

After the Rain:
Nehemiah Kish is replaced by Nicol Edmonds in After the Rain on 16, 20 and 23 March.

Cast changes on the ROH website

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-changes-the-human-seasons-after-the-rain

The Human Seasons:

Edward Watson is replaced by Vadim Muntagirov on 16, 18, 21 and 24 March.

Vadim Muntagirov is replaced by Nicol Edmonds in The Human Seasons on 17, 20 and 23 March.

After the Rain:

Nehemiah Kish is replaced by Nicol Edmonds in After the Rain on 16, 20 and 23 March.

What a shame, but good for Edmonds.

I think The Royal Ballet's record on female choreographers , or rather lack thereof speaks for itself bangnorballetboy. I confess to being completely biased and quite passionate on the this subject, but I also cannot understand why the few works by female choreographers that are within the Royal Ballet rep (e.g. Nijinska and De Valois) are programmed so infrequently-e.g Les Biches is long over due an outing by RB.

As for the 90% ticket sales , the fact that only 1 out of 7 performances has currently sold out (I haven't included the schools matinee which is also sadly not sold out as tickets are still being offered to students)  I thought was not a good sign but of course will be happy if this is not the case.

Anyway this is getting away from the subject of this thread ( my fault for the diversion, apologies) which is the triple bill -looking forward to peoples reviews and opinions on it. 

As for the 90% ticket sales , the fact that only 1 out of 7 performances has currently sold out (I haven't included the schools matinee which is also sadly not sold out as tickets are still being offered to students)  I thought was not a good sign but of course will be happy if this is not the case.

There's also one performance with only 23 seats available, which is as good as sold out for a theatre with a capacity of 2,256.  But what strikes me as interesting about the advance ticket sales for this bill is that, barring one performance where there are about 100 seats in the lower tiers, the vast majority of the unsold tickets are in the cheaper areas of the house.  I don't know whether this is just people who would sit elsewhere for "traditional" ballets make use of the top price tickets being that bit cheaper or whether it relates to the economic demographic of people interested in the bill.  It would be great to understand the ticket sales but I don't think we will ever get the chance.

• Like 3

I think it's everyone going "ooh, I can afford a better seat than usual on my budget" - that usually seems to be the pattern for the cheap programmes.

(Talking of which, I've returned the good amphi seat I was advertising to the box office)

• Like 1

There's also one performance with only 23 seats available, which is as good as sold out for a theatre with a capacity of 2,256.  But what strikes me as interesting about the advance ticket sales for this bill is that, barring one performance where there are about 100 seats in the lower tiers, the vast majority of the unsold tickets are in the cheaper areas of the house.  I don't know whether this is just people who would sit elsewhere for "traditional" ballets make use of the top price tickets being that bit cheaper or whether it relates to the economic demographic of people interested in the bill.  It would be great to understand the ticket sales but I don't think we will ever get the chance.

This also is the pattern for Mayerling