Recommendations for Tights

ScottishDancerMum

I can't seem to source decent tights.  I have a tall, thin 7 year old.  Tights are either too short or too long, or ladder at the first wearing.

Can anyone recommend something?  Her last two pair are now threadbare - my mother-in-law picked them up in some discount shop and they lasted a year, but the labels are no longer there.

Thank you x

Thank you everyone!

I just hate the baggy-around-the-ankles look, and the general advice seems to be to wear them a size bigger... which just seems to make it worse :(   She's pretty gentle putting them on, and got a year out of her old pairs of tights, but I'm just finding it a pain to find replacements.

I'll go through the list and get some to try!

The bigger Sainsburys stores have a ballet section and do 3 pairs in a pack of ballet tights that last and are of good quality, the age 8 should be perfect.

You're the second person today who's mentioned this!  One of the mum's at our dance school mentioned it today.  I might be able to get to a larger one on Saturday, and I'll order some of the other options for next time.  :)

I have bought the Sainsbury pack of 3 ballet tights. I think you get 2 pink and 1 white about £4.50. They are good value and quality, not convertible though.

I had a look at them in store, they're a very pink pink aren't they? I would like to get Sainsburys ballet shoes when they are in stock. My friend gets them for her daughter and they're a lovely flesh coloured pink rather than salmon pink.

• Like 1

Yes they look very pink in the packet, not too bad when they are stretched over the leg. Will look at the ballet shoes.We are told to calamine dds ballet shoes to look more flesh like.

I'll have to try it when DD has outgrown her current pair, just in case I mess them up

I got some tights today - a pair of Starlight and a pair of Silky.  I'm hoping at least one of them will fit just right!

Another question!

I was reading the comments about putting calamine on ballet shoes, and I think it makes sense to make the legs look longer.  So can someone explain to me why some girls in festivals have to wear ballet socks?  To me it just makes the leg look shorter and defeats the purpose.  Is there a reason for them, and are they something required by the festival, or is it a school preference? 

[quote

Another question!

I was reading the comments about putting calamine on ballet shoes, and I think it makes sense to make the legs look longer. So can someone explain to me why some girls in festivals have to wear ballet socks? To me it just makes the leg look shorter and defeats the purpose. Is there a reason for them, and are they something required by the festival, or is it a school preference?

We were told that the younger girls wear socks and the older wear tights ... usually moving into tights around age 12. No idea if that is school or festival preference but seems to be the way it is round here!

• Like 1

It used to be socks at festivals till around 7/8 years old then tights, they seem to wear socks much longer now! Socks are ideal in class as you can see how the legs are working much better/easy to take off shoes & socks to check Toes etc. Not really sure why you would wear socks for a performance so long now, itsnot a requirement but festivals tend to have "the done thing" which gradually changes!

• Like 1

Use 2 parts water and 1 part calamine and apply with a clean make up sponge. Its meant to make the leg look longer and disguises any marks on the shoe.

That's interesting to read how others apply calamine. 

I've only done it by tipping bottle straight onto a cotton wool ball/pad and gently dab over the shoe. Applying 2 coats with time to dry in-between. 

Soft ballet shoes are stuffed with a sock to push out into shape covered in the same way as above and left to dry, the sock can be washed afterwards.  

I'm sure local chemists must think there is an outbreak of chicken pox when stocks run low, not realising it is festival or exam season.  :P

• Like 1

Just be a little careful what you put the shoes next to after you have applied the calamine. Even when they are dry, sometimes a pale pink powder attaches to any clothing/costumes next to them.  I try to remember to put  my DD's shoes in a plastic bag when carrying them to festivals - pink powder shows up very well on a black velvet costume!

It's also very useful to know well in advance of an event that calamine will need to be applied.  I have vivid memories of running around local pharmacies looking for the elusive calamine the night before a competition and the frantic rush to put it on the shoes and hope they dried out quickly!

• Like 1

Locally, the swap from socks to tights seems to occur much earlier than 12 - for festivals, probably around 8ish unless the girls are very small. Having a tall, early to develop DD, I know she was very relieved to move to tights for everything as, whatever the actual reality of the case, she FELT much more decent, and was thus much more confident, in tights rather than socks.

• Like 1