Cecchetti international classical ballet competition 2017

balletboyz2

Hello everyone

I am new to the forum but a felllow ballet mom recommended I join the site for information / advice

Does anyone have any experience of the above competition ?

I know it is only held every 3 years but wondered if any of your children entered in 2014 ?

I know there are 7 junior entrants for the U.K and 3 senior, but does anyone know how many competitors there are in the finals from the rest of the world ?

What the standard is like and what to expect ?

Any information would be greatly appreciated

The Cecchetti international competition is held every 3 years this year it is in Florence, Italy. There are a certain number of entrants selected by each country and this number is at the discretion of the individual company.

The competition is highly competitive with most award winners at the competition either gaining employment, or depending on age, a scholarship place to an internationally recognised school.

This year there are two competitions one for over 17s up to 19 years old and one for under 17s.

The UK entry consists of two dancers pre selected from the Barbara Geoghan competition last November plus 5 more who were selected from a qualification audition in February.

There will be 2 dancers from KS Dance, 2 from Elmhurst and 3 from Tring Park.

• Like 1

I'm just puzzled as to who they selected , as I don't think it was announced on the day .

At the competition in November - only 3 seniors were put through : 2 from KS and a girl from Tring .Elmhurst didn't put any seniors in , and Tring only put one in .

Do you know which school the 2 that were selected in November were from ?

There were 7 prize winners from Tring - and as far as I know - none of them are going .

Hope we haven't missed something !

A few years ago my ds was a finalist in this competition.

The entry criteria then was that applicants had to have Advanced 1 Cecchetti to begin with. They were then selected from DVD application of one Ballet and one contemporary solo.

It just so happened that ds and one or two of the others from Tring who went with him had also won other Cecchetti awards but this wasn't part of the selection for the International competition then.

Obviously this was some time ago and things will have changed. But I am guessing that some successful candidates followed the same route that ds did as described above.

Edited by hfbrew

I remember it well hfbrew . In Manchester .

Tring boy won and got offered a summer school in South Africa .

He is now at northern ballet .

This was a pivotal time for my friend's and my DS 's, who subsequently switched schools to Tring , and never looked back .

If my memory serves me correctly - your DS did black swan . ( most beautifully )

I hope ok posting this ? If not I'm sure someone will whip it away !

• Like 1

I also remember it because my son was meant to be there but ended up injured and we had to cancel everything! Horrible because it was his one opportunity to take part in an international competition and it was another lesson in what a tough world it is. His friends from Elmhurst did well though.

• Like 1

I also remember it because my son was meant to be there but ended up injured and we had to cancel everything! Horrible because it was his one opportunity to take part in an international competition and it was another lesson in what a tough world it is. His friends from Elmhurst did well though.

That is exactly what has happened this year ! My DS was injured for the Chectti exam and thus unable to compete and his class mate was through to the final but now injured and so everything's cancelled for him !

There are however 2 Elmhurst boys fit and going to Florence ! - not sure about the girls!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Want to wish all the boys and girls from Elmhurst in the junior section and the 5 senior entrants the best of luck in the competition. I'm sure they will all have an amazing experience , hopefully the U.K will get some entrants through to the final next week. Safe travels over the weekend all x

• Like 6

Good luck British entries ! I'm sure some will at least make finals ! A friend of mine is dancing and I will eat my hat if no final ! 

As long as you all enjoy it and learn from the experience that's all that matters .

italian ice cream is to die for x

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Team uk did amazing. Conquering dancing in 40* and on an unexpected raked stage ?

36 juniors and 20 seniors from 7 countries.

The jury watched them do a contemporary and ballet class, then their individual solos. 3 UK students made it to the final, my Dd included, all from Elmhurst. 

Prizes and scholarships awarded, many to the UK ? 

Dont understand how someone can attend two summer intensives at the same time in different parts of the world  so I'm sure some will be returned. 

Overall an amazing, very expensive, experience for Dd. Solos at school will not be so scary anymore ? She made some lovely new friends from all over the world. 

The UK ?? did us proud ??

cant wait to get home to the UK weather though ☔️ ?

• Like 6