The Mariinsky - booking and casting discussion 2017

I would much appreciate some advice.  I can afford two visits so have decided on Swan Lake and Bayadere, mainly because I've seen Anna Karenina and don't enjoy DQ.  I know it is hard to be exact about casting, but any recommendations as to whom I should look out for?  I like my ballet lyrical, Cojocaru and Asylmuratova being my absolute favourites.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To my mind the dancer who most fits your lyrical requirement is first soloist Oleysa Novikova - she's just wonderful and it's impossible to understand why she isn't a principal. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to tour much/at all. 

Of the current Mariinsky women principals and first soloists I would be very happy to see Kondaurova, Tereshkina, Vishneva, and Matvienko. I guess Vishneva is the most lyrical ? Lower down the ranks but up and coming are Batoeva and Shakirova. 

As far as the men are concerned my picks would be Kim (although he's been injured for ages so who knows whether he'll come) Shklyarov, Sergeyev, Steppin, Yermakov 

Of course these are generalisations - so much depends on the specific role and partner. 

If Shklyarov/Tereshkina dance Bayadere it would be top of my list. 

• Like 3

To my mind the dancer who most fits your lyrical requirement is first soloist Oleysa Novikova - she's just wonderful and it's impossible to understand why she isn't a principal. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to tour much/at all. 

Also agree about Shklyarov, Tereshkina, Osmolkina.

• Like 1

Do other people who have bought tickets for the Mariinsky's London visit feel as if they have bought tickets in a lottery and that they now have to wait patiently until the winning numbers, or, in this case the casting, is announced ?

Yes- and no. It is always a pleasure and a thrill to see them in this country as I don't pop over to St Petersburg that often... or in fact ever, and they don't do live screenings...and is it likely they will field poor quality Principal dancers? Don't answer that! 

• Like 1

I would much appreciate some advice.  I can afford two visits so have decided on Swan Lake and Bayadere, mainly because I've seen Anna Karenina and don't enjoy DQ.  I know it is hard to be exact about casting, but any recommendations as to whom I should look out for?  I like my ballet lyrical, Cojocaru and Asylmuratova being my absolute favourites.

Many of today's most admired and loved Mariinsky dancers--and ones likely to be cast in Swan Lake and Bayadere on tour--do not strike me as particularly lyrical though they are very fine ballerinas. Skorik, one of their more controversial ballerinas. can be rather lyrical even having a rather melting, boneless quality in adagio. (I am perhaps an outlier among Mariinsky fans in having very much enjoyed her dancing when I saw her live. But my impression from the range of reactions she provokes even from people who don't dislike her dancing is that she blows hot and cold. She also has the extreme extensions that not everyone likes.)

I also would love to see Novikova and Osmolkina were I in London but would be more than a little surprized if they were dancing Nikiya on tour, barring unexpected injuries to others etc.  But who knows? The Mariinsky can be unpredictable.

I have to say--whatever the casts--I am very envious of all of you who will be getting to see them this summer!

• Like 1

I've bought tickets for all the Bayaderes, so guaranteed to see Tereshkina.  Perhaps the photos on the Hochhauser website provide a clue to who we'll be seeing.

• Like 1

Do other people who have bought tickets for the Mariinsky's London visit feel as if they have bought tickets in a lottery and that they now have to wait patiently until the winning numbers, or, in this case the casting, is announced ?

Yes, very much so, but will we believe the advance casting anyway :)

I've got a ticket for a performance that I can go to.  I wish I could go to more but circumstances (dog kennel issues) dictate that I cannot.

Swan Lake and Bayadere ... any recommendations as to whom I should look out for? 

I saw Anastasia and Denis Matvienko in Swan Lake at Mariinsky Theatre a few years ago.  As you can imagine, their dance chemistry was amazing!  At times I felt as though I was intruding on an intimate moment.  I would like to see them again.

Denis Matvienko is a great Solor in La Bayadère.

I'm holding out for Ekaterina Kondaurova.

I'll watch "Big Red" in any ballet.

• Like 2

I'd be more than happy to see Osmolkina and Kolegova too.

While talking about the ladies, Svetlana Ivanova (unassailable Number One on my list), then Osmolkina, then Novikova. Anastasia Lukina among the younger ones. I don't care much for the principals (Vishneva is anything but 'lyrical', by the way). Under Mr. Fateev, Mariinsky became the greatest corps de ballet company, no doubt about it, all the talent buried and languishing there for years. Seeing how they can do Classics is more important than who is dancing the principal parts.

• Like 3

Don't know if this has always been the case & I've simply missed it, but there are names showing on the ROH website for Don Q, Swan Lake & Anna Karenina (only the 2 leads mentioned). Nothing for La Bayadere & the contrasts mixed bill though.

• Like 2

Kondaurova, Osmolkina (who has danced the role with RB) and Tereshkina are outstanding.  I haven't seen Matvienko in the role but imagine she would be good.  As for princes Tereshkina dances with the very popular Shklyarov, Osmolkina with the interesting Ernest Latypov and reliable Stepin, lovely Katya Kondaurova is lumbered with dull stick Ivanchenko.  Matvienko dances with Askerov, much improved since his last visit to London and for those keen to see Englishman Xander Parish I suggest Chebykina (a newcomer to major roles in London I believe) rather than six o'clock extensions merchant Skorik.  Kimin Kim also dances with Skorik, he is a dance phenomenon but not my idea of prince material.

• Like 2

Bayadere's up now - I've managed to get the same Nikiya twice :(  Wish they'd put this up before mailing-list booking started this morning!

ROH is generally pretty good about returns and only take a £2 fee as long as they re-sell your ticket, which I don't expect will be a problem for the Mariinsky season. Or are there special conditions attached to Mariinsky performances?

Also: in my experience, as long as they haven't dispatched your ticket they can be pretty flexible about things if you phone them.

Edited by Lizbie1