2 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

I wouldn't class either Scarlett or Wheeldon as contemporary choreographers - they are both very firmly in the safe, neo-classical camp and their predominance in this season is a big part of the reason why I find it conservative.  The only Scarlett works I have enjoyed are Asphodel Meadows and Viscera - Sweet Violets, Age of Anxiety and Frankenstein are all confused, meandering, sometimes unintentionally unpleasant and reveal a very unimaginative, old-fashioned approach to 'narrative'.  The Tharp and McGregor may be more interesting I grant you.

To your other point, the companies are not really artistically 'collaborating' as I understand it - they are just going to perform works they would programme in any case on a different stage.  We could see any of the dancers involved dancing McMillan if we were prepared to travel, and many of them perform in London in any case.  Whereas putting contemporary dancers in a work with ballet dancers might move them both out of their comfort zones and foster artistic experimentation.  

No, I wouldn't class Scarlett or Wheeldon as contemporary choreographers either. I was talking about Tharp, Pita and McGregor. Which gives plenty of opportunity for the RB dancers to come out of their so-called 'comfort zones' (or perhaps 'areas of expertise' would describe it better).

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is confirmed on the individual page that The Judas Tree will be performed by the RB and Song of the Earth by ENB: http://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/the-judas-tree-song-of-the-earth

Elsewhere , it makes clear that the NB will dance Gloria, the RB The Judas Tree and Elite Syncopations will be a joint venture involving the RB, BRB, NB and SB: http://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/gloria-the-judas-tree-elite-syncopations

The earlier programme has BRB dancing Concerto, SB Le Baiser de la Fe with Elite Syncopations as above plus ENB: http://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/concerto-le-baiser-de-la-fee-elite-syncopations

I'm not sure that I would call 5 performances for the Tharp/Pita "plenty". The new McGregor gets 8. Over the course of a whole season that is not much, especially since there may only be one cast (2 at most) for each of those one act works.

Well, I need not have worried about the amount of money I spend on ballet tickets with this season. I understand the desire to return to Giselle almost immediately with the likes of Hayward and Naghdi up for their debuts, but I thought we had only just said farewell to The Winter's Tale. It hardly merits a revival every two years. 

And most miserable of all for me personally, the new Swan Lake which will undoubtedly hold so many stunning debuts is right at the end of the season, so I'll consider myself lucky if I get to attend even one performance thanks to exams. The ROH might want to consider students occasionally when they place such a major work at such an awkward period. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lindsay said:

I'm not sure that I would call 5 performances for the Tharp/Pita "plenty". The new McGregor gets 8. Over the course of a whole season that is not much, especially since there may only be one cast (2 at most) for each of those one act works.

The Royal Ballet is a ballet company. The clue's in the name. That doesn't mean that more contemporary techniques can't be welcomed to enrich the repertoire. (Of course, contemporary dancers are unable to come out of their own 'comfort zones' because the flexibility doesn't work both ways.)

• Like 4

Some things to look forward to -maybe Giselle and Sylvia as others have said for the casting opportunities. ...but..I have to agree it is not by any means what I had hoped for. Disappointed to get Alice- not a ballet at all really-( personally I find it an ugly, loud, vulgar piece with no saving graces)   - and no Balanchine at all and no Ashton one act ballets.

Manon surely has been seen so many times in recent years.....there does seem to be an awful lot of Macmillan.

The 'Gloria tripe bill' sounds a bit worrying :-)

If only we could feel secure in looking forward to the new SL instead of apprehensive...

The collaboration project is very interesting- I wonder what is the idea behind it? Is there any connection with recent cuts ??

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Well it's not doing much rigorous 'ballet' next season either.  Many of the corps dancers are going to spend months being flamingoes, party parents and whores.

And swans, mythical characters, Shakespeare characters, vengeful spirits, snowflakes, jazz dancers, contemporary dancers, ballet dancers. The whole gamut really. 

• Like 5

Not very inspiring - just as well given my financial situation!  But could get more interesting when we get casting details, and I'm sorry, but unlike many on the Forum I love Winters Tale. Good to see Obsidian Tear again and Concerto but some of the revivals leave me cold

• Like 2

I was wrong to say no Ashton one act ballets- just realised - there is M &A. However, that seems a very odd one to repeat. surely it was always a star vehicle for Fonteyn/Nureyev. Can be marvellous on a good night but even Ashton would not say it was his best work- and there is SO MUCH that is and that we haven't seen for a long time.

Edited by Mary
  • Like 4

I love Winter's Tale too but could have waited another year as it was only on  a year ago AND it was live screened. I hope this is all not because they are spending a fortune on daft special effects for the new SL......( real flying swans,  explosions by von Rothbart....let's hope no stage strewn with body parts a la Frankenstein, etc)

• Like 1

The ROH website describes the new production of Swan Lake as containing "additional choreography" by Liam Scarlett.

Perhaps the obligatory tavern scene and some brazen tarts somewhere and maybe a real lake, subject to health and safety.  Swan costumes made of the finest materials available to humanity and an appearance from " a very special guest" to be announced nearer the time, in accordance with how much budget is left over.

2 minutes ago, Jacqueline said:

The ROH website describes the new production of Swan Lake as containing "additional choreography" by Liam Scarlett.

Perhaps the obligatory tavern scene and some brazen tarts somewhere and maybe a real lake, subject to health and safety.  Swan costumes made of the finest materials available to humanity and an appearance from " a very special guest" to be announced nearer the time, in accordance with how much budget is left over.

I will be very disappointed if the whole of Siegfried's childhood is not acted out in a 45 minute prologue.

• Like 9

I think i'm also a disappointed.  The Winter's Tale doesn't do much for me and it was only recently done during a cinema relay.  The same with Alice.  Will definitely be giving Untouchable and Age of Anxiety a miss.  I'm also rather apprehensive about the new Swan Lake seeing that Scarlett will be doing some additional choreography.

On the upside, I am hoping for some exciting casting/debuts for Sylvia/Manon/Giselle/Swan Lake.

• Like 3

I'm happy to see Giselle again having got addicted to it during ENB's recent run and I'm happy to see Winter's Tale again having given it a miss last time. I will probably go and see Judas Tree because I've never seen it but I suspect that I may hate it; it will all depend on how the violence is handled. It's odd to have Elite Syncopations in three programmes. I've never seen it and so I'll pick the programme that looks best. I wonder what the reasoning behind these collaborations is and how much it will benefit the various companies involved. It feels like a season of retrenchment for the RB probably because of the time and money which is needed for the creation of the new SL.

mixed bag for me - will see most Giselles, most of the mixed bills (whilst avoiding Judas Tree like the plague, as that ruins a bill with Gloria or Song of the Earth in it), love the daftness in Sylvia (goats excepted) so see most of those; a good few Nutcrackers, though many are unavailable due to work/family commitments; hoping the Swan Lake isn't mucked about with TOO much; Manon, will see some of the interesting casting - same for Winters Tale (like - but is back pretty soon, isn't it!) and Alice (same as Winter's). Will sit out Marguerite I expect, unless its someone I like dancing it. Glad Obsidian Tear back, but not really for 'Untouchable' (found that a bit dull), and will be interested to see the new works, as ever.

• Like 2

Well, speaking for myself, I am definitely pleased to see Alice and the Winter's Tale as I always wanted to see them. I also want to see the Song of the Earth and Elite Syncopations. I wish that the Judas Tree wasn't there as I think that it is a rather violent ballet and it doesn't do anything for me.

I think that the additional choreography by Mr Scarlett for Swan Lake will be for the first Act and the 3rd Act - and I think that it will be interesting to see - I seriously doubt that there will be any whores in this one. I think that Mr Scarlett has got rather a lot of flak on this forum lately - I think that he is a very interesting name to watch.

I don't think that Alice is vulgar or tacky - in fact, I enjoy it and it is quite funny in places and it is very popular.

• Like 2

While I'm looking for reasons for us to be more optimistic about SL, I see that Kessels is down to conduct the whole run.

With the recent SB having had Kessels for the latter part of the run and Nutcracker being split between Barry Wordsworth and Paul Murphy, it looks like we're seeing a loosening of the grip of Russian conductors on Tchaikovsky ballets.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 8

The more I look, the more disappointed I am. The only two I am certainly going to see are Giselle and Sylvia, neither of which are exactly new experiences. I can't stand either full length Wheeldons, dislike triple bills generally and post-Frankenstein, am filled with nothing but gloom regarding SL. I overdosed on Manon the last time it was on, but will be eager to see interesting casting combinations, having missed Hayward last time. I liked Obsidian Tear a lot, but am put off by the other parts of its bill... overall a sad, cheap season for me. 

I think people are being unduly pessimistic over the new Swan Lake. Doubters might want to have a look at this:

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/swan-lake-by-liam-scarlett

John Macfarlane's design for Act II visibly shows a lake, which is encouraging - and the credits refer to additional choreography by Liam Scarlett and Frederick Ashton.

• Like 4

Well I'm at work and I've been waiting until lunchtime to take time to fully appreciate this much waited for event and a huge disappointment it has been. I didn't expect to get my entire 'most wished for list' (Bayadere, Onegin, 2 Pigeons, Les Patineurs) but I did think I might have got one. Then to add insult to injury most of the programmed ballets are either ones I don't like or aren't interested in seeing again. I think Giselle, Manon and Sylvia are all I might be interested in and those more for the debuts. I love Giselle but it has been staged a lot recently and recorded twice. Of course it will be wonderful to see Francesca and Yasmine's debut (as I assume this is the main reason for staging it) but no chance of a recording as we've had so many Giselle's recorded lately. I wish there was a proper Ashton double/triple bill. I don't know why they keep resurrecting Marguerite and Armand as it's not even a great work and there are so many Ashton ballets we never see and if they aren't revived soon there will be no one left to revive them. I suppose it will be a cheap year as even the cinema broadcasts are hugely disappointing.

• Like 1

Have you any 'inside stories' to offer us, BBB?

Did Kevin O'Hare share the thinking behind his programming?

How was the announcement received by the Press?

What sort of questions were asked?

Was there anything that struck you in particular?

2 hours ago, select*from said:

Out of the above, these are screened at cinema:

Alice Live 23 Oct 7.15, Encore 29 Oct 2.00

Nutcracker Live 5 Dec 7.15, Encore 10 Dec 2.00

Winter's Tale Live 28 Feb 7.15, Encore 4 Mar 2.00

New McGregor / Age of Anxiety / New Wheeldon Live 27 Mar 7.15, Encore 1 Apr 2.00

Manon Live 3 May 7.15, Encore 6 May 2.00

Swan Lake Live 12 Jun 7.15, Encore 17 Jun 2.00

I've added the dates in the quote above.