Elmhurst summer school application

joyofdance

TooTu and Mae989, it's the end of term this Friday so I would expect you'll hear by then, if not before.  They've certainly had junior results out before the Easter break in the previous two years and I think they're still going through audition results as Upper School auditions were early last week...

• Like 2

We got a flat no unfortunately. DD is a bit disappointed but she had pretty much expected it. I do struggle to understand what they can tell from a few photographs but clearly there is something. Well done to all those with yes's. We will look around for something else for her to do in the summer. Any suggestions on something residential and ballet related that we could apply for. She doesn't want to do an all round dance/musical theatre summer school which is a shame because that is where her strength lies. I might just try and persuade her though..Bad Mummy Lol.

• Like 1

Joyofdance 

Have you looked at OPES? The teachers are fantastic, no auditions, no photograph requirements. It's residential and I think it runs over 3 separate weeks. My DD has done it for the past 2 years and loved it!☺️ The standard is good with a good amount of vocational and some non-vocational there. It's predominantly ballet but they also have a couple of other dance styles with some amazing guest teachers. Last year they had a street workshop (so far out of DDs comfort zone!) and modern which was great to break things up. The only reason we aren't going this year is she wants to try something different but I can imagine she will be straight back next year?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joyofdance said:

We got a flat no unfortunately. DD is a bit disappointed but she had pretty much expected it. I do struggle to understand what they can tell from a few photographs but clearly there is something. Well done to all those with yes's. We will look around for something else for her to do in the summer. Any suggestions on something residential and ballet related that we could apply for. She doesn't want to do an all round dance/musical theatre summer school which is a shame because that is where her strength lies. I might just try and persuade her though..Bad Mummy Lol.

Sorry to hear that. I was going to suggest OPES too. My dd is going to OPES for the first time this year after hearing such good things about it

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Toomuch said:

My daughter has a yes too. Can anyone tell me what a practice skirt is though? Is it just a shiffon wrap skirt?

Yes it is. Have a look at love lily ballet wraps they're gorgeous and all hand made?

• Like 1

We're also strongly considering OPES for the first time this year too so looks like there may be lots if us! Also highly recommend the Love Lily ballet wraps - took delivery of three (not quite sure why she needs three, but I'm a soft touch!!) yesterday and everything from the fab customer service to the beautiful skirts was faultless :) 

• Like 5

Yes for DD to go to junior SS again this year...now to work out dates/finances & see if it's possible!

There are also lovely ballet wraps called Just Jess - DD found them on Instagram & think there is a website too.....looks like alliteration is a prerequisite for dance wear company names :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I sent my daughter's application just under 2 weeks ago as they told me to send it (she wont be 11 till 28th Sept but was told to still submit application). I havent heard anything, has everyone heard now? I'm expecting a no but would be nice to know either way. I have called but left a message. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

So my dd is on the waiting list apparently for the Summer School. At least it wasn't a flat no and we were late applying. They did say in the email that last year all those on the waiting list still got in! Will see....

• 2 weeks later...

My DD received an offer of a place for the senior SS course just over a week ago. She had received a No with no hint she was on their waiting list!

One very happy young lady.

One rather cash strapped ballet mum as she had already accepted a place at ENBS back in March.  EEEEEK

• Like 1

1 minute ago, balletbean said:

My DD received an offer of a place for the senior SS course just over a week ago. She had received a No with no hint she was on their waiting list!

One very happy young lady.

One rather cash strapped ballet mum as she had already accepted a place at ENBS back in March.  EEEEEK

That's great news balletbean.

• Like 1

Thank you Too Tu.

It's all been quite overwhelming.  Forms for 3 schools were submitted but not really thinking that she would be successful just a paper exercise. 

Accepted at two and a place on the waiting list for the 3rd. Then reality kicked in ££££££:huh: What have I let myself in for? LOL

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, balletbean said:

Thank you Too Tu.

It's all been quite overwhelming.  Forms for 3 schools were submitted but not really thinking that she would be successful just a paper exercise. 

Accepted at two and a place on the waiting list for the 3rd. Then reality kicked in ££££££:huh: What have I let myself in for? LOL

Completely sympathise with you. My dd was down to do 2 summer schools, then the opportunity arose for another she was keen on so is now doing 3. I will probably be paying off summer schools from now to next summer by the time I take into account travel & accommodation 

• Like 1