Elmhurst summer school application

joyofdance

Hi. Could any of you advise please. My DD would like to apply for Elmhurst's lower summer school. We have the application form with the details about the photographs but I cant tell if the drawings are showing girls wearing tights and ballet shoes or bare legs and no shoes. Also any general advice you could give would be very much appreciated. She doesn't have a classic ballet body shape but she is hoping that the summer school wont be as strict and so wants the photographs to show her in her best light. We are doing the photographs ourselves as it isn't a major issue if she doesn't get in as She doesn't hold out much hope but wants to give it a try. Also are there any other residential summer schools that you would recommend not too far from Birmingham. She really wants to have the residential experience.

Thank you in advance.

Admin sorry if this subject is already covered (I couldn't find it) 

Hi joyofdance - the SS is usually a different kettle of fish in terms of body shape etc so definitely worth applying! I would do bare feet for photos.

How old is your dd? If you look under the lower school auditions thread you'll find leotard discussions - that is age dependent a bit but generally wouldn't buy especially for photos.

Re other SS you could try OPES which is in East Midlands. I'm not sure about others near Birmingham. There is a recent summer school thread where many options are discussed.

Good luck!!

Thanks everyone, bare feet etc did seem to make sense. She has a few leotards so sticking with a simple black one. I did look at OPES Sarah but its about £200 more than Elmhurst. I will look for the thread. Did you take the photographs yourself TooTu. Also do you have to print the photographs off and send them in? Unless Im missing some text there isnt much information.

Thanks everyone, bare feet etc did seem to make sense. She has a few leotards so sticking with a simple black one. I did look at OPES Sarah but its about £200 more than Elmhurst. I will look for the thread. Did you take the photographs yourself TooTu. Also do you have to print the photographs off and send them in? Unless Im missing some text there isnt much information.

I would stick to a simple not too fussy leotard. I took the photos myself but dd's teacher positioned her & I just took them on a mobile phone & printed them off in a photo kiosk to post off with the application form. Also don't forget about the passport photo because I very nearly forgot to put it in this year.

OPES is a full week in comparison to Elmhursts 3 days which would account for the difference in price. DD is doing OPES this year for the first & really looking forward to it too.

Of course TooTu I wasnt thinking of the difference in days. My DD is 12 and I think a week would be too much away from home.. We don.t have time to arrange for her teachers help with the positioning. Im a bit worried as a non dancing Mum that I cant advise her on the positioning. The drawings are not great so we will just have to muddle on.The drawings don't really show what they are looking for or can I just not see it? Any idea what they are looking for so that I can advise her re positioning.

The closing date is 10th March Toomuch so i assume a few weeks after that.

Edited by joyofdance
  • Like 1

Of course TooTu I wasnt thinking of the difference in days. My DD is 12 and I think a week would be too much away from home.. We don.t have time to arrange for her teachers help with the positioning. Im a bit worried as a non dancing Mum that I cant advise her on the positioning. The drawings are not great so we will just have to muddle on.The drawings don't really show what they are looking for or can I just not see it? Any idea what they are looking for so that I can advise her re positioning.

I think you'll be fine positioning your dd. Dd's teacher is just the type of teacher that likes to oversee these things. Would taking a few shots of each pose & sending them to your dd's teacher to chose the best be an option for you?

You could try Tring ss. I know it is not in Birmingham but not too far. Lasts 4 days. No photos required. They set based upon the application form but will move dc if in wrong group. The price also includes a theatre trip.

Last year dd1 did ballet, contemporary, jazz, commercial, musical theatre and hip hop. On the final day you can watch.

They have 2 sets of dates this year as it is popular. Dd1 really enjoyed and I enjoyed seeing my ballet daughter trying to spin on her head in hip hop/street class.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's far too late now, but the odd thing was that the website stated 10th as closing date but clicking on the actual application form revealed two closing dates:-. 

Lower School 10th but the Upper School 3rd March. 

Are the results sent by email or regular post? Thank you

I know it's far too late now, but the odd thing was that the website stated 10th as closing date but clicking on the actual application form revealed two closing dates:-. 

Lower School 10th but the Upper School 3rd March. 

Are the results sent by email or regular post? Thank you

I read that there was a £25 discount for returning the form by the 10th but couldn't see an actual closing date so might be worth contacting them to see if they would still accept applications if you were thinking about it

Apologises, I think I must have read it wrong. Thinking it was the closing date rather than just the "early bird" date.

If that is the case when do they finally decide on places? and how are we notified? Thank you

This is what I have copied from the website application forms:- 

To secure your £25 discount, completed forms and photographs (including passport photograph) should be returned by Friday 3 March 2017 to: As there are no auditions for the Summer School you must submit the required photographs – including a passport photograph..............

basically we went through this last year.  If you apply before the discount date and are then offered a place you get £25 off the course price.  If not offered a place you have obviously not lost anything so worth applying before the closing date but nothing to worry about if you apply after the closing date.  There are out-right yes you have a place emails or waiting place emails or no emails then there are residential places but last year DD said there were a few DC's who just came on day places.  DD did twice and loved it!

Hi, Just received an email from Elmhurst SS, its was an outright NO. 

I am just curious of what they look for in the application. I submitted the same photos of my DD to them as well as ENBS and RBS. 

ENBS was a yes and RBS was a place on the waiting list.  Can anyone shed any light? 

Absolutely delighted with ENBS just interested as this is the first year of applying. 

Thank you

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 17:31, balletbean said:

Hi, Just received an email from Elmhurst SS, its was an outright NO. 

I am just curious of what they look for in the application. I submitted the same photos of my DD to them as well as ENBS and RBS. 

ENBS was a yes and RBS was a place on the waiting list.  Can anyone shed any light? 

Absolutely delighted with ENBS just interested as this is the first year of applying. 

Thank you

It is true that Elmhurst ask for a greater variety of poses than do ENBS ( same number as required for an application for a full time place) including some en pointe. I suspect, though, once certain criteria are met, that it comes down to supply vs demand. My dd has had exact reverse of this, with yes for Elmhurst and wait list for ENBS (we never dared apply for RBS).  You dd has done well, and I wouldn't be put off applying again in future years.

2 hours ago, mnemo said:

It is true that Elmhurst ask for a greater variety of poses than do ENBS ( same number as required for an application for a full time place) including some en pointe. I suspect, though, once certain criteria are met, that it comes down to supply vs demand. My dd has had exact reverse of this, with yes for Elmhurst and wait list for ENBS (we never dared apply for RBS).  You dd has done well, and I wouldn't be put off applying again in future years.

Thank you, we were actually advised against applying for ENBS and RBS due to the unprecedented demand for places. Needless to say, I was the rebel and didn't listen!!!:D. Which has fortunately paid off.  Still walking around in a daze.  Good Luck to everyone else. :)

• Like 1

Well done to the seniors that got a yes. Anyone had any news about the junior school summer school yet or know when we are likely to get news? We haven't had an email so was wondering if the yes results were sent first.

Edited by joyofdance

1 hour ago, joyofdance said:

Well done to the seniors that got a yes. Anyone had any news about the junior school summer school yet or know when we are likely to get news? We haven't had an email so was wondering if the yes results were sent first.

We haven't heard anything about the junior summer school yet either. Hopefully we will hear soon 

• Like 1