Tap grades at Hammond

Mummy twinkle toes

Yes - don't worry at all, the students are sorted into groups depending on what stage they're at. The present yr 7 has a mixed range of ability. The DC that have studied tap aren't held back, whilst the DC with less experience are helped to catch up therefore all abilities are catered for :)

Tap classes at the Hammond are organised in such a way that the children are vertically streamed.

Years 7, 8 & 9 take classes together & there are usually 3 sets although that may be reduced to 2 depending on numbers and the ability of that particular cohort. The 1st set are usually total beginner up to about Grade 2/3, the middle set perhaps about Grades 4/5 onwards etc although exams are not actually taken.

In Years 10 & 11 they are set again. I have a feeling it may be two sets at that stage but it could be three, I'm not quite sure. A friend with a child in Year 10 says that some of her child's group are preparing for their Intermediate exam.

Hi Lema ...... the year groups stick in their years for ballet lessons, however RAD lessons are separate & have mixed years in them. For instance some year 7's are about to sit IF exam with some year 8's. Some yr 7's have already passed IF - so it depends what stage they have reached upto starting at Hammond.

Tell your dd not to worry my dd joined Hammond in yr9 last September and she hadn't done any tap apart from the very basics when she was 5. She is in the beginners class with yr7,8 and a couple of other yr9 and she's loving her lessons. 

• Like 1

It seems to work very well with no 'I'm in a higher group then you' issues.

I have seen huge improvement in DD from starting in yr 7 as a very basic tapper - now in the mid group mix of yr 7/8/9....the best was the absolutely fabulous Celtic Tap show stopper number using all of the lower school dancers in last years Summer Show. It was just jaw-dropping in it's brilliance & hugely entertaining; as stirring as any River Dance I've seen on TV! They got everyone tapping to a fantastic level & we in the audience felt totally drawn into the speed & spectacle....just wish there was a DVD of this to enjoy watching again & again!!

• Like 1

HAIRBELLES, there is a link to photos on the Hammond's website under the Dance section. x

Hi - have never known there were any photos!! However, drilling down, still cannot find any workable link.....any chance you could paste it onto this forum? Thanks in advance.... :) 

well, sort of found them.....but really hard to distinguish from all of them any that may have DC in! Was a DVD of all the photos sold does anyone know so at least you can look & zoom in to find one's own little darling?? !!

Without failure my kid seems to always be just out of shot, out of the light, mostly hidden by others with just an arm & or a leg on show or rear view!!! What you call Murphy's law for the Celtic photos I was most interested in I guess!

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 3

HAIRBELLES, there is a link to photos on the Hammond's website under the Dance section. x

Thankyou orchidblue I shall have a look ....... Same here Peanut68 in year 7 they did a lovely ballet piece wearing dragonfly wings the majority all had lovely shots and we got one of the back of dc.

I shouldn't moan had some cracking shots of elder dd in her time there.

• Like 1

Dd started in September having only done very little tap in last place. We went through grades 2 to 5 over the summer just to give her a feel for it and she was put in Intermediate class. Was very impressed watching class back in November! Only 3 months in! And she is loving it. Can't wait for the summer show!

• Like 1

Haven't heard of a DVD being sold. Didn't find any decent photos of my DD this year either. Off to watch her in the Graduate showcase tonight (& twice tomorrow ) Excited![/

DD and I are going to the Grad showcase tonight , really looking forward to seeing the girls we know performing .My friends dd has a vocal solo so wishing her lots of luck .

• Like 2

orchidblue , what an amazing showcase , it was well worth travelling the two and half hours to watch it , my daughter got a feel for the place and we even spoke to some of the students afterwards , congratulating them on such a fantastic show of work and wished them well in their next stage of their careers.

• Like 1

Would love to have gone...but would have been 6 hours journey!! Go wish all shows abutted an end of term or exeat do that could tie in seeing them with a trip already making! Glad that Muss Saigon does....as we have to collect kids by 12noon I realised I need to travel up night before to ensure can get there (can't rely on Fri traffic to just leave early....learned from experience & 9 hour journeys - aghhh!) So, booked cheapie B&B & bought a ticket for thurs night! :-)

• Like 2

Your dd and friends were fabulous Orchidblue !!! And a just keeping the thread on track a fabulous tap number too .;)....nice to see how all the pupils we know have progressed into mature performers ..... I'm sure they will have no trouble securing agents and contracts

• Like 1

Might be worth asking at school about a dvd for last years summer show. I think one year a DVD was available to purchase through the company that filmed it rather than the school, though I seem to remember it not being until it was almost time for the next end of year show.

I'm glad the showcase went well and wish them well for their performance in London . First time in five years I've missed it - but my DD had 2 days off of rehearsals and came home for a flying visit.  DD incidentally had never done tap before starting sixth form

Edited by 2dancersmum