Ballet Black: triple bill, London & touring, 2017

Foteini Christofilopoulou was at the rehearsal at the Barbican for the latest triple bill from Ballet Black. Featuring works from choreographers Annabelle Lopez Ochoa (Red Riding Hood), Martin Lawrence (Captured) and Michael Corder (House of Dreams).

Here are some photos:

32384453924_f10eeac377_z.jpg
House of Dreams by Michael Corder: Sayaka Ichikawa, Damien Johnson
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

32384456004_c4993a2052_z.jpg
Captured by Martin Lawrance: Jose Alves, Isabela Coracy

33100382751_429ce54ed8_z.jpg
Red Riding Hood by Annabelle Lopez Ochoa: Cira Robinson, Mthuthuzeli November

See more...

Set from DanceTabs:  Ballet Black: House of Dreams, Captured, Red Riding Hood
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Last evening I had the pleasure of seeing Ballet Black in Worthing! What a wonderful company. I can't remember when I enjoyed anything so much. The programme consisted of 3 pieces which were originally performed at the Barbican. House of Dreams, Captured & Red Riding Hood. I liked each piece, which is most unusual in a triple bill. The dancers are absolutely stunning. Lovely understated costumes & scenery. Red Riding Hood is so witty & funny. Mthuthuzeli November had great fun dancing the wolf. Cira Robinson was a lovely RRH & I was just so impressed by all the dancers. I do hope they come to Worthing again soon. Fabulous.

Susan

• Like 7

• John Mallinson changed the title to Ballet Black: triple bill, London & touring, 2017

I went to see this at the Barbican earlier this year. I have only seen a few ballets, so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but I loved it. All three pieces varied tremendously, but were uniformly great.

One thing I would mention however, is that the final one (a take on Little Red Riding Hood) is surprisingly dark. On the surface, it's as bright and joyful as the third image above suggests, and at times it's very funny. However, it doesn't shy away from the themes/subtext of the original fairy tale, and the ending -while empowering and modern- is very dark. I'm not sure how much younger viewers would 'get' of some of the ideas being presented but it's certainly a little more adult and serious than it first seems.

• Like 1

I loved the performance I saw in Birmingham on Friday.  All three works were beautifully danced by the Company, which is on stunningly good form.

Michael Corder's House of Dreams is a gorgeously fluid piece for 2 couples to piano music by Debussy.  There's some lovely intricate footwork for all the dancers.  I'm not a huge fan of Corder's story ballets but this is an utter delight.

Martin Lawrance's Captured seems to be about two couples who are not particularly well getting on with each other.  There are some very fast, almost aggressive moves that are just breath-taking to watch.  

Annabelle Lopez Ochoa's Red Riding Hood is in turn witty, funny, scary, dark, sexy...  Despite my phobia of balloons I just loved it!

One of the things I most admire about Ballet Black is the artistic policy of constantly commissioning new works from interesting choreographers.  This programme hit the spot on all levels!  I hope its not too long before I get another opportunity to see this terrific company.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I saw the Ballet Black triple last Thursday in Nottingham and really enjoyed it. Every single one of the dancers in this small company contributes and as a whole, they produce superb dancing in fascinating short pieces. 

I adored the first piece by Michael Corder, set to beautiful piano pieces by Debussy. The movement created on the 2 couples was lyrical, flowing and gorgeous to watch.

I was less taken with the second piece, Captured; although the choreography was good, I really struggle to sit through anything involving Shostakovitch!! 

So for me, Lopez Ochoa's version of Red Riding Hood was a sensational way to end the triple - jazzy and funny in parts, mix of sexy and scary as Janet said. And wow! Clever balloons! I guess they were on some kind of weighted magnets! Glad none of them accidentally burst Janet!

Such a great evening, so glad Nottingham is on Black Black's tour schedule, and using our smaller theatre, the Playhouse, which has a very intimate feel, perfect for a small company such as Ballet Black. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
On 5/20/2017 at 12:15, Jan McNulty said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this programme in Birmingham on Friday!  Thanks for the report Susan, it has whetted my appetite even more.

Wish I was going too Jan, I've never seen this company....

• Like 2

You must try to see them sometime Sharon, they are well worth it!  Cassa Pancho has done an amazing job from a standing start, and at such a young age.  I interviewed her a few years ago and I am full of admiration for her.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Sim said:

You must try to see them sometime Sharon, they are well worth it!  Cassa Pancho has done an amazing job from a standing start, and at such a young age.  I interviewed her a few years ago and I am full of admiration for her.

Thank you Sim I shall look out for them and go watch the as soon as I am able.

• Like 1