More Competition/Festival questions

ScottishDancerMum

I've been researching competitions/festivals for my daughter as she will be starting this year.  But I had more questions... I haven't had a chance to speak to her teacher yet but I thought I'd ask my other favourite experts here!

1)  One upcoming ballet competition is calling for one classical ballet solo and one contemporary solo.  The organiser emailed me and said that modern would be acceptable for younger students who had not yet studied contemporary.

So, would a contemporary ballet solo be turned out?  Daughter has done some modern in her tap classes, but it's not turned out.  What do you think she should prepare?

2)  I'm having a hard time (as I don't have a dance education) figuring out the differences between Modern, Contemporary, Jazz, Lyrical.  

Plus Character... if a tap solo is done in a character style, is it judged differently?

Colour me confused.  I'm learning a new language and I just don't get it yet!  If anyone can guide me, I'd be very grateful!

OK, Character is a classical section and requires use of classical technique. It can either be what you might call "full" character, where the dance clearly tells a story, or "demi character" which is more a dance "in the style of..." something, but without such a clear storyline. But either way, classical technique required. For younger children its better (in my humble opinion!) to do a very clear story and use a fairly well known character. Its quite a difficult genre I think as they have to be thinking of all the same things as they do in ballet and acting at the same time, so I think a simple story that they can easily relate to and understand is best. A fairy tale or children's book character is a good idea - more esoteric stuff can come later.

You can do other genres such as tap and modern that have some characterisation in of course, but they belong in the tap or modern sections, not character and they get judged the same as all the other tap and modern solos. Does that make sense?

Contemporary isn't contemporary ballet, it's a genre of its own. And contemporary dance is a very broad church, covering a lot of different but specific methods.Older children tend to do contemporary - its often said to require more emotional maturity than a lot of other genres. If your DD doesn't have contemporary classes I would stick to modern. Modern covers a few styles too really! You will see jazz, lyrical and what I would call more like commercial dance in modern sections at festivals (particularly in the older age groups). Some, have different sections for different modern styles, others lump it all together. Generally there is little or no turn out in modern genres though.

It's difficult to give specific advice - you need to speak to your teacher really of course - but in general I would advise keeping things simple and age appropriate. Don't try anything too adventurous at first. Dances can be built on and developed as experience and confidence grows. (You don't need a new dance for every festival - take no notice of Dance Moms!) But at the beginning I would keep things well within your DD's comfort zone. She's got a lot to get used to and to learn about how festivals work etc, so make sure the dances are something she feels confident about.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Like 1

Thanks PupsMum :)   That does help.  

Commercial dance... I knew there was another one that I meant to include!  I see a dance school in the next county that advertises for "Freestyle and Commercial" but I really never understood the term.

Daughter is preparing a ballet number and a tap number (which has a character element) but then we found this ballet festival that's asked for a contemporary number as well (no tap).  Ah fun!  We've been slower starting than we'd hoped - between illnesses, snow and school holidays, DD's prep time has been dashed considerably so she might not even be ready till August/September.  But we'll have to see.

I know you haven't asked this, so forgive the unsolicited advice, but personally I would think that 2 dances is plenty to start with and I would be inclined to get the ballet and tap solos completed before tackling anything else. At some festivals you will see dancers who have a solo in every genre plus duets, trios and troupes, but it has probably taken them years to build up to that. It takes a lot of time and commitment (and money) to have multiple dances on the go and it can put a lot of pressure on the young dancer and their family to have a lot of dances.

The norm at my DD's old school was always to start with one (usually ballet) solo, or at the most 2, for the first few festivals. Then if child and parent were both enjoying it and were keen to continue to gradually add in more dances as they wished.I'd probably be inclined to get  just one dance finished and give it a whirl at a couple of festivals to see how you and your DD enjoy it before investing in several dances. I don't think it needs to be absolutely perfect just as long as she is confident that she knows it well enough. People will have different views on that I know. Some teachers won't let a child do a new dance until its absolutely polished, but DD's old teacher would generally send them out once they were "good enough". I tend to favour the latter approach as i always viewed festivals as a development opportunity rather than a medal winning quest.  Performing a dance on stage is very different from practising in the studio and I always felt my DD learned more doing her dances "for real" in front of an audience. If a child wants to perform, as long as they know the dance well enough that they aren't going to forget it and get scared or upset, then I think that's fine. If you plan, practice and perfect too much then opportunities can be missed. But as I say, I know others will have different views and there's no absolute right or wrong.

• Like 6

More unsolicited advice, and different studios will do things differently, but our ballet school always put in the entries for the classes.  As a parent I had no say over what classes my children entered.  Or who they were dancing with, even in duets!  It really is their call.

• Like 3

Indeed, but if I recall rightly ScottishDancerMum has previously posted that her DD's school doesn't generally do festivals so it's her that's initiated the whole process with her teacher rather than the other way round. Hence she is driving the process somewhat more than would be usual. (Or I might just be losing my marbles...)

• Like 1

More unsolicited advice, and different studios will do things differently, but our ballet school always put in the entries for the classes.  As a parent I had no say over what classes my children entered.  Or who they were dancing with, even in duets!  It really is their call.

oh my goodness! 

the children have their own solos ... usually starting with just one or two, and then adding more as time goes on ( DD has 6 or 7 depending upon categories in different festivals!) but they never get a solo or duet/trio etc without the parents agreeing in advance, and they don't do any at a festival without the parents agreeing! Our teachers let the children dance their dances as soon as they are 'just about there' ! no matter how experienced a performer is, the 'first time out' of any routine is always a tricky times, but I agree with pups mum, that that is when they REALLY learn the dance  ( or like DD the other weekend ... make up a totally new dance instead! ;)  :lol:  :rolleyes:  )

• Like 2

Indeed, but if I recall rightly ScottishDancerMum has previously posted that her DD's school doesn't generally do festivals so it's her that's initiated the whole process with her teacher rather than the other way round. Hence she is driving the process somewhat more than would be usual. (Or I might just be losing my marbles...)

Yes, PupsMum, that's us.  She goes to a Highland school, and the kids generally only go to Highland and National competitions.  Because my daughter doesn't dance Highland, she's asked to compete in Ballet instead.  Her teacher is willing - daughter is a good student, listens well, has enthusiasm and perfectionist streak.  She'll only be doing solos because she doesn't have anyone else to dance with (although we're hoping that might change next year if other girls want to join her).  Also, because our teacher is so busy, she asked me to collect applications for the festivals.  That's when I ran into one (which is fairly close by, and smaller, which would be a good one to start with), but they asked for contemporary (dancers had to be able to do both).

I imagine in a normal school, we'd have much less input... what the teacher says goes.  Our teacher has been happy to talk through it, and thinks she's ready.  I promise I'm not trying to be some sort of overeager stage parent - just trying to get my daughter some experience.  We've discussed before how it would be so much easier if she just did Highland with her friends, but she loves ballet, and that's her.  I can work with that :)

We'll see how she does with one or two numbers, and if she can handle that, we'll add the third.  I'll leave it up to her teacher :)

oh my goodness! 

the children have their own solos ... usually starting with just one or two, and then adding more as time goes on ( DD has 6 or 7 depending upon categories in different festivals!) but they never get a solo or duet/trio etc without the parents agreeing in advance, and they don't do any at a festival without the parents agreeing! Our teachers let the children dance their dances as soon as they are 'just about there' ! no matter how experienced a performer is, the 'first time out' of any routine is always a tricky times, but I agree with pups mum, that that is when they REALLY learn the dance  ( or like DD the other weekend ... make up a totally new dance instead! ;)  :lol:  :rolleyes:  )

I think the experience will stretch her a bit.  She only gets a recital every 18 months, and loves it, but it's not very challenging dancing as the recital numbers tend to be geared towards the less experienced dancers so that everyone can do the number.  

• Like 1

I know you haven't asked this, so forgive the unsolicited advice, but personally I would think that 2 dances is plenty to start with and I would be inclined to get the ballet and tap solos completed before tackling anything else. At some festivals you will see dancers who have a solo in every genre plus duets, trios and troupes, but it has probably taken them years to build up to that. It takes a lot of time and commitment (and money) to have multiple dances on the go and it can put a lot of pressure on the young dancer and their family to have a lot of dances.

The norm at my DD's old school was always to start with one (usually ballet) solo, or at the most 2, for the first few festivals. Then if child and parent were both enjoying it and were keen to continue to gradually add in more dances as they wished.I'd probably be inclined to get  just one dance finished and give it a whirl at a couple of festivals to see how you and your DD enjoy it before investing in several dances. I don't think it needs to be absolutely perfect just as long as she is confident that she knows it well enough. People will have different views on that I know. Some teachers won't let a child do a new dance until its absolutely polished, but DD's old teacher would generally send them out once they were "good enough". I tend to favour the latter approach as i always viewed festivals as a development opportunity rather than a medal winning quest.  Performing a dance on stage is very different from practising in the studio and I always felt my DD learned more doing her dances "for real" in front of an audience. If a child wants to perform, as long as they know the dance well enough that they aren't going to forget it and get scared or upset, then I think that's fine. If you plan, practice and perfect too much then opportunities can be missed. But as I say, I know others will have different views and there's no absolute right or wrong.

Thanks for this, PupsMum... I'm grateful for it!

I have copied the description from the all-england dance festival if this helps. I would agree contemporary is more suited to older dancers and is a genre in it's own right but in the real world of professional  dance there is a lot of overlap as dance it is an ever-evolving art form. Commercial again is more suited to older dancers. A lyrical modern can suit someone with a classical background. 

If you are studying modern syllabus for exams then there is also a definite technique associated with this.

Character A dramatic, artistic or sometimes humorous presentation of :

• A story /character from any book, poem, play, film, history, cartoon, original created theme, etc.

• The mannerisms and essential features of animals, birds, insects, reptiles, virus, and topical

interpretations of abstract themes.
    Appropriate technique for the character should be used. 

1. Modern An all-inclusive term applied to an ever-evolving performing art. It includes lyrical modern, Jazz, Stage Contemporary, Hip Hop and all styles of Modern Theatre Dance. Acrobatic, Gymnastic, and Street Dance are also acceptable when combined with a recognisable dance technique and a theatrical quality. All routines should observe safe dance practice.

Lyrical Modern Based on Modern technique, lyrical modern should show flowing movements that express the emotion of the music. Gymnastic and acrobatic work is not allowed. Floor work should be kept to a minimum. 

Contemporary Technically the work may reference Limon / Horton / Graham / Cunningham / Release / Flying Low / GaGa or any other recognised Contemporary technique and should be underpinned with a strong classical base. The work should show an understanding of choreographic content and a clear reference to the defined principles of contraction and release, fall and rebound, use of breath and gravity and successive or initiated movement. Whilst there is an athletic strength to the work, acrobatic work should be minimal and used only to enhance the choreographic work

• Like 1

It sounds like you have a very nice and accommodating teacher - cherish her!  My somewhat jaundiced view is from a less-than-accommodating school (as you might have guessed.)

Don't dismiss "less challenging" dancing at a recital though - performing "easier" pieces well can be a real challenge and a great opportunity to focus on performance rather than technical skills.  

• Like 3

Can I just jump on to this post. 

The other item to consider/research on are the adjudicators that will be at the festival.

What are their specialties?  Do they have a strong swaying towards a particular style within a genre etc. 

I know of one adjudicator who was also a Greek teacher/examiner. She favoured Athletic Greek rather than lyrical Greek. Certain competitors were automatically set at a disadvantage.

Shouldn't really happen but it does.

Also consider the music. many adjudicators that follow the festival circuit may have heard the music again, again and again. Select something slightly different which will get them to sit up, wake up and watch!!

Good Luck 

• Like 2

I know nothing about this Greek dance business... I had no idea it was a category until coming here and reading about it.  National dance either... our school teaches Highland and National, but they mean "Scottish" National.  

I grew up in Canada, but alas, I can't find Canadian National dances as an option :(

Do senior competitors need to be able to dance in *all* the categories?  If my daughter doesn't study Greek dance or Hungarian dance or what-have-you, will this be a problem or can she just study what she (and her teacher) wants?

• Like 1

No need to ever do all the sections if you don't want to - it's entirely up to you. You will find some who do everything and some who only do one or two genres, right through the age groups.

Personally I never bothered looking into who the adjudicators were in advance. Unless you have almost limitless time, money and energy, you can't change dances every festival, and what is "good" for one adjudicator may well be "bad" for the next. So I never lost any sleep over that. It's true that some adjudicators have strong preferences and if you watch a lot of festivals you do get a feel for what a particular adjudicator likes fairly on in the proceedings. But DD never bothered trying to change her dances or herself to suit any particular adjudicator's taste. She just went on and did her best - sometimes she won, sometimes she didn't. Best thing is to just have fun and not to worry to much.

• Like 4

No need to ever do all the sections if you don't want to - it's entirely up to you. You will find some who do everything and some who only do one or two genres, right through the age groups.

Personally I never bothered looking into who the adjudicators were in advance. Unless you have almost limitless time, money and energy, you can't change dances every festival, and what is "good" for one adjudicator may well be "bad" for the next. So I never lost any sleep over that. It's true that some adjudicators have strong preferences and if you watch a lot of festivals you do get a feel for what a particular adjudicator likes fairly on in the proceedings. But DD never bothered trying to change her dances or herself to suit any particular adjudicator's taste. She just went on and did her best - sometimes she won, sometimes she didn't. Best thing is to just have fun and not to worry to much.

What a relief!

I agree with pups_mum. DD does two festivals per year, they are local ones and have always treated as fun and opportunity to perform on a stage. I wouldnt get too hung up on research etc, just enjoy and if you win it's a bonus. Also great lessons on how to win and lose gracefully, I believe these are very important qualities and festivals are a great way to teach this.

• Like 3

I agree with pups_mum. DD does two festivals per year, they are local ones and have always treated as fun and opportunity to perform on a stage. I wouldnt get too hung up on research etc, just enjoy and if you win it's a bonus. Also great lessons on how to win and lose gracefully, I believe these are very important qualities and festivals are a great way to teach this.

Shygirlsmum, you are entirely right.  

I'm doing research because I feel there's nothing else for me to do in the meantime... I can't choreograph or teach, and I'm not my daughter, so Teacher and Daughter are doing their parts already :)   Until things are ready, I'm twiddling my thumbs.

You are all a wonderful support - thank you for answering my silly questions!

You'll be busy soon enough ScottishDancerMum, once the search for costumes begins!I actually really miss that bit - I loved doing costumes and props both for festivals and DD's old dance school shows.

Incidentally, if you do get to the stage of doing a national dance I can't think of any reason why she couldn't do a Canadian one. I have never seen anyone do anything Canadian, but I've seen dances from just about every part of the globe in national sections, and the only rule I've ever known of is that some festivals won't accept British dances. That said, our local festivals don't have that rule and I've seen some lovely Scottish, Welsh and Irish nationals. I guess a Scottish dance might not go down well in Scotland, with there being entire separate competitions for that genre but other than that pretty much anything goes as long as the dance is authentic for the country.

I know nothing about this Greek dance business... I had no idea it was a category until coming here and reading about it.  National dance either... our school teaches Highland and National, but they mean "Scottish" National.  

I grew up in Canada, but alas, I can't find Canadian National dances as an option :(

Do senior competitors need to be able to dance in *all* the categories?  If my daughter doesn't study Greek dance or Hungarian dance or what-have-you, will this be a problem or can she just study what she (and her teacher) wants?

Greek tends to have it's own class should it be included in a festival. Last summer was the first year that Greek was included in the Dance World Cup.  It has unique choreography and style. 

Whereby Canadian National dances, Hungarian, Romanian etc all come under the banner of National. Unless Scottish or Irish have their own special class in a Festival then you can enter Scottish in the National Class. Again with so many variations in Festivals you (or the teacher) have to read the small print. 

Acro is another one, some acro moves can be incorporated into Modern/Jazz/Contemporary or even Tap Choreography but in limited amounts and only where appropriate. There have been too many cases or cartwheels and aerials appearing in nearly every routine. 

Song and Dance also has it's own rules ie % of dance to singing etc

The other thing to consider when entering  classes in a festival, as few or as many as your child or your budget will allow is that sometimes to be eligible for an overall Trophy that takes aggregate scores into account. Our local festival states " 3 solos one of which must be ballet"  is required if a child would like to be considered for a particular Trophy. 

This award is a lovely bonus as it could mean that a child that did not win a class but scored highly in 3 may well have accumulated enough points to win a Trophy at the end of the Festival.

Again it all boils down to reading the small print.

Good Luck have fun 

Incidentally, if you do get to the stage of doing a national dance I can't think of any reason why she couldn't do a Canadian one. I have never seen anyone do anything Canadian, but I've seen dances from just about every part of the globe in national sections, and the only rule I've ever known of is that some festivals won't accept British dances. That said, our local festivals don't have that rule and I've seen some lovely Scottish, Welsh and Irish nationals. I guess a Scottish dance might not go down well in Scotland, with there being entire separate competitions for that genre but other than that pretty much anything goes as long as the dance is authentic for the country.

Greek tends to have it's own class should it be included in a festival. Last summer was the first year that Greek was included in the Dance World Cup.  It has unique choreography and style. 

Whereby Canadian National dances, Hungarian, Romanian etc all come under the banner of National. Unless Scottish or Irish have their own special class in a Festival then you can enter Scottish in the National Class. Again with so many variations in Festivals you (or the teacher) have to read the small print. 

Acro is another one, some acro moves can be incorporated into Modern/Jazz/Contemporary or even Tap Choreography but in limited amounts and only where appropriate. There have been too many cases or cartwheels and aerials appearing in nearly every routine. 

Song and Dance also has it's own rules ie % of dance to singing etc

The other thing to consider when entering  classes in a festival, as few or as many as your child or your budget will allow is that sometimes to be eligible for an overall Trophy that takes aggregate scores into account. Our local festival states " 3 solos one of which must be ballet"  is required if a child would like to be considered for a particular Trophy. 

This award is a lovely bonus as it could mean that a child that did not win a class but scored highly in 3 may well have accumulated enough points to win a Trophy at the end of the Festival.

Again it all boils down to reading the small print.

Good Luck have fun 

Her teacher said that Canadian wasn't an option - they all seem to be European dances.  I'd like it though... my culture tends to get pretty overshadowed over here!  But to be honest, I'd have a hard time thinking what a Canadian National dance would consist of... lots of pop culture references, but doing something that appropriated First Nations peoples wouldn't be appropriate, and we don't have a national dress (unless you count Roots t-shirts or RCMP uniforms!)

Has *anyone* seen a Canadian National Dance in a festival or competition before?  (I'm terribly curious!)

Balletbean, the idea about being eligible for an overall trophy is something to consider - thank you again for valuable advice!

I'm a little redundant too! DD likes to get herself ready now. You will soon be busy sewing on sequins etc The costumes, hair & makeup are my favourite part. YouTube tutorial are a great inspiration for hairstyles.

You'll be busy soon enough ScottishDancerMum, once the search for costumes begins!I actually really miss that bit - I loved doing costumes and props both for festivals and DD's old dance school shows.

I am excited about that part... I've got a tutu ordered, sourced her tap costume, sorted the music, and started collecting bits and pieces for her comps (I've found quite a few lists of things not to forget).  She'll need help with hair and makeup for awhile, but I'll have to seriously up my game with hairstyles.  Every time I attempt braids, it just ends up a mess!

• Like 1

ScottishDancerMum, 

Sorry can't help you on any Canadian National Dance as I really don't think Justin Beiber quite cuts it!! lol   Would love to see one though, how about Regional rather than an actual National dance but still unique to Canada and its history.  

My DD's school, have always stuck to European National Dances (close ties to RAD). Other festivals may also use this as their benchmark.  Different local schools in my area have only ever entered Highland (Scottish Dances) in the National section. 

Love to watch the diverse dance styles from across the world. Dance World Cup is a wonderful opportunity to see these. Malaysian were wonderful and the standard was amazing.

Many costumes are stunningly beautiful and VERY VERY expensive to replicate due to the intricate embroidery. Hence why those European dance choreography tend to be held within the schools archives and rejuvenated on a rota system and who ever fits the costumes in store!. Groups or solos.

Happy hunting/research..

It's so strange about Canada.  It's a country that definitely encourages people to bring their cultures with it - we are a mosaic, not a melting pot.  When I was in school, I had friends who went to German school, who went to Ukrainian Dancing, who spoke Polish at home.  Myself?  I was born to third generation Canadians who had originally come from England, Italy and Germany, but was never taught any of the languages or traditions from the "old countries"  Then I moved to Vancouver where there were people who spoke every language under the sun, who brought their dances and food and culture... and I felt very plain!  (and then I moved to the UK where I stuck out like a sore thumb as soon as I spoke!)

Because Canada is so big, it's hard to link common threads.  I've only spent 1 night in Quebec and a handful of days on the East Coast.  Things that are common there are unheard of in BC.  I never learned the "Canadian Barn Dance" until I went to a ceilidh at a Scottish Wedding.  

And NO JUSTIN BEIBER.  EVER.

So common threads are things like hockey, Tim Hortons, CBC Heritage Minutes, the National Anthem, maple leaves, beavers... hard to make an identifiable dance from that.  And because we aren't First Nations, doing an aboriginal dance could be fraught with insensitivity.  

Oh well... a conundrum for another time.  But if anyone "has" seen a Canadian dance, I'd love to hear about it!

My DD  has competed for 12 years and we avoided Greek and National like the plague for 2 reasons

1. In my opinion they are like watching paint dry (though I have sat through some nice Irish Jigs)

2. The costumes tend to end up costing a fortune - particularly for National.

3. My DD ended up doing  Ballet, Tap, Song & Dance, Character and Modern Solo's, plus duets and trios and 9 dances per festival was enough.  

We started festival with one dance aged 5 and ended up the with the above 9 dances aged 13.  When she started on the CAT scheme this reduced dramatically and she now does 2 group dances only at age nearly 17.  

Just enjoy the experience and be very aware there are some very nice dance mums and some not so nice ones.  Festival is to be enjoyed but not taken too seriously unless you are competing in Genee or suchlike.  

BTW I have never researched an adjudicator ever.  They have their own opinions of what should get placed and all you can do is your best.

• Like 3

I love festivals simply because it gives me an opportunity to watch my daughter dance. I love sourcing the costumes, choosing the music, helping with make up etc.It helps satisfy my creative urges lol.  At the minute we enter festivals independently and my DD does five to seven solo's. At a previous dance school we would enter a festival and my daughter would have to dance in as many as 29 dances at age 10/11. If you tried to refuse or reduce the amount of dances, you and your child were treated badly by the dance school. This was a mixture of solo's, duets, trio's groups etc. To be honest it took all of the joy away from the experience and just became a marathon of quick changes and tears. Also the cost was ridiculous and it was all about the schools desire to collect trophy's. My advice, start with a few and enjoy the process. Dont take it seriously, as lovely as it is to see your child come first, in the long run it really doesnt mean anything. The important thing is that its a positive experience. 

Edited by joyofdance
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

No, it means the adjudicator had preferences and likes that they placed higher. 

Wait until you get your feedback sheet and see if you value the comments

have a look at adjudicators background too to see what aspect they are likely to look at this from ie; "west end/cruise performers" tend to award more for faces and theatricals than technique on its own (sorry, just my personal experiences) and just take the feedback and try and learn from it

adjudicators tend to work from some kind of scoring system (though these might be a bit ropey sometimes haha) and these will be Technique, Choreography, performance 

professional dancers won't be seeking to gain competition marks and there will be a different purpose/focus than competitive dance routines. 

:)

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

An odd question, but if a dancer does not place/gets not so good marks, does that mean the individual will not make a professional one day? It was my first Open Ballet today, and did not place out of 9 contestants (don't know my mark yet!) and worried!

No! Don’t worry at all! It’s just one person’s opinion on one day. Lots of very good and experienced festival dancers (who aspire to careers in dance) don’t place sometimes - maybe because they didn’t nail their routine as well as usual, maybe because the other dancers were just fab, maybe because the adjudicator just didn’t like the routine or thought it was too simple - who knows! But definitely not a thing to worry about. Festivals are just for fun - it’s the training you do day in day out that will determine whether you can make a professional one day :) 

• Like 5

I will definitely second that BlueLou.

Festival/comps are great performance and networking experience.  However, the results are very subjective. Unlike exams where there is a strict criteria to meet. The adjudicator has free reign on his/her decisions. The confidence you will gain from these comps will however shine through in the studio and the audition process as and when that happens. 

Festivals and comps are an enjoyable way to breakup your standard dancing timetable but don't let it take over your day to day training. It's those lessons that will help you reach your goal. :)

• Like 4

Remember that the winning kids might have been doing that dance for 2 years, it really is just a bit of fun and opportunity to dance on a stage.  Also some kids peak early, DD has friends that started doing festivals at age 5 and consistently won but will now possibly never win another medal as other kids have matured and generally place above them.

• Like 3