RB Mid Associate workshop

shygirlsmum

I thought I was being super organised, notification of a workshop has been on the board for a while so I booked train & hotel. Just noticed that when workshop invitation arrived the date has changed by a day ???? It's totally unlike me to be so organised and it's backfired big time ???? I'm hoping to grovel with hotel & train companies but Everything i booked was non refundable.

I have often get caught out on booking non-refundable hotels for Hubbie's business trips...to have him then change his plans....so the saving of £10-20 at time of booking has on more than one occasion led to losing over £100! 'Nice' hotels will be amenable to this plight if rebooking for another date & I have found Hotels.com will try their best on your behalf to negotiate a refund/date change.....on one occasion they were unable to get the Hotel to budge but as a 'goodwill gesture' they themselves gave us a £100 voucher towards a future stay. You probably gather from this that there is a lot of business travel....& I now do really think twice about booking the cheapest & double check cancellation policies thoroughly too! Joined their reward programme a few years back too - earn 1 free night for every 10 qualifying stays.....the amount taken as an average of the spend (ie. add up amount spent on those 10 stays & divide by 10) They do offer good range of price points.....have booked a £50 B&B in a very expensive city later this month but I must say when Hubbie stays in NY or similar it does boost that 'free night' amount'....we enjoyed an almost free night in The Waldorf in London last month through this reward scheme for a fabulous night at the Opera House seeing Woolf Works - such a treat!

Similarly do use Premier Inn often...if I think I may need a stay, then I go onto website & book the flex rate as soon as possible - usually still pretty good price but maybe £9 - £20 more than non changeable Saver rates. Once dates are 100% confirmed then I re-visit site & on occasion the cheaper Saver rate might still be available so I book that one & then cancel the original Flex booking.

Also, often find cheaper & better to stay on edge or outside London then travel in on train/tube, leaving car in free car park for day. Edgeware Prem Inn good for this as short walk to Northern Line (I think it is) tube which takes you straight into West End....but there must be 100's of these options in all sorts of places! Join IHG rewards for cheap Holiday Inn Express....had a recent stay off M5 near Gloucester  for £46...very pleasant family room & it included a perfectly adequate hot & cold buffet breakfast for all of us.....so actually worked out cheaper than a Prem Inn would've done (admittedly not as good a breakie....many Prem Inns do offer a mighty fine cooked to order Full English option.... :wub: )

Happy travelling & you must be proud having a child who is a MA!

• Like 1

I booked a night in Travelodge Kings X, on a saver at £120 instead of £199. I then wanted to alter my plans and stay over in Paris, but they wouldn't budge when I asked to cancel. To be fair it's in the terms and conditions and is as plain as the day, to make matters worse the price has gone down to around £95. They were very sympathetic of course, and think they would have let me switch the day, so you might be ok if you ask your particular hotel nicely.

Thank peanut68 we are very proud she has come a long way in a short time since deciding to move to a more serious dance school, this is her first year of mids she started at year 8 so has had a bit of catching up to do.

It is actually the Waldorf we are staying at booked through hotels.com so hopeful of a good outcome. I've not done anything yet, I will let you know how I get on.

Vonrothbart I hope you enjoyed Paris ????

I booked a night in Travelodge Kings X, on a saver at £120 instead of £199. I then wanted to alter my plans and stay over in Paris, but they wouldn't budge when I asked to cancel. To be fair it's in the terms and conditions and is as plain as the day, to make matters worse the price has gone down to around £95. They were very sympathetic of course, and think they would have let me switch the day, so you might be ok if you ask your particular hotel nicely.

Yes, I think you're right about letting you switch the day on a Travelodge saver. I was able to move a two-night booking back by a day (from Thursday/Friday to Friday/Saturday).  I think they charge a small fee for this, and obviously if the booking you're changing TO is more expensive you pay the surplus.  I also seem to recall you have a maximum of one chance to make a change - they won't permit it to be changed again.

Such a pain, Shygirlsmum, it threw us too! I'd been asking since early last half-term when they would confirm dates as we travel a long way and midweek train fares are so much more expensive (we travel to London every Sat for DS's Mids class but at least then we have the dates for the whole year!)

I'm also a bit bemused that the workshops are still during regular term-time this year, or is that just us up here in the North?? Luckily DS's school very supportive and let him have the day off as the boys' Balletboyz workshop sounds like it will be awesome!

• Like 1

The things we do for our DC, I'm lucky oh does the associate dance run but I could be persuaded to do a regular London trip ???? I would be even more skint though!!!

DD has only done one workshop so far and loved it, school have also been great with authorising time off, I assumed that our term dates differ to RBS (we are also northern) but not really sure.

The balletboyz workshop sounds like a great opportunity, I hope your Ds enjoys it x

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've messed up with the planning of this workshop too... I finally decided to be sensible and book super off peak tickets and a family railcard in advance in February.

I specifically asked for tickets travelling out on 2nd April and returning on 3rd. Having patted myself on the back for being so organised (big mistake!), I was looking forward to a relaxing trip with dd, on the train, Premier Inn Breakfast!

I've just had a closer look at the tickets, and the start date on them is 09 APR! WHY????? It's going to cost a lot of money to sort this out and I don't know how I'm going to keep calm to do it. Admin fees and the new tickets will have gone up in value. I dread to think any further...

That's another overtime shift I'll be booking myself onto in work :-/ At least it's a blessing in ballet dancing dd's world (little does she know!) that we always have staff shortages and tons of overtime on offer...

I might see if I can get my money's worth out of this train company and 'accidentally' sit in first class. Cheek and charm probably won't work at my age, maybe a friendly discussion instead...

Oh Piccolo that just the kind of thing I do (I once booked trains the wrong way round booking London to home and home to London, fortunately I spotted my mistake straight away and train company sorted it out without penalty).  I hope its not too costly for you and good luck in first class :)