Northern Ballet Tribute to MacMillan

And the press release:

Northern Ballet to perform a triple bill of works by master choreographer Sir Kenneth MacMillan

Company Première: 5-7 October 2017, Bradford Alhambra Theatre

Further performances at Leeds Grand Theatre in March 2018

Northern Ballet has announced it is to perform a triple bill of works by master choreographer Sir Kenneth MacMillanA Celebration of Sir Kenneth MacMillan, Master Choreographer will feature Las HermanasGloria and Concerto and will be performed at the Alhambra Theatre in Bradford from 5 – 7 October 2017 with additional performances in Leeds in March 2018. This announcement completes Northern Ballet’s 2017 programme which already includes three World Premières CasanovaThe Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and The Little Mermaid.

One of the leading choreographers of his generation, Sir Kenneth MacMillan enjoyed a close association with The Royal Ballet where he held positions as Director and Principal ChoreographerWith a choreographic career spanning nearly four decades he created almost 100 works, many of which are still in the repertoires of leading companies across the globe.

Northern Ballet’s A Celebration of Sir Kenneth MacMillan, Master Choreographer features: Las Hermanas (created for Stuttgart Ballet, 1963) a tense psychological drama about five sisters and the consequences that follow a life of harsh repression; Gloria (created for The Royal Ballet, 1980) inspired by Vera Brittain’s wartime memoir Testament of Youth; and Concerto (created for Deutsche Oper Ballet, Berlin, 1966) a dazzling classical piece set to music by Shostakovich. This triple bill will be the first time Northern Ballet has performed work by the internationally celebrated MacMillan and coincides with the 25th anniversary of his death.

Northern Ballet’s Artistic Director, David Nixon OBE, said: ‘I have long desired to perform a programme of Sir Kenneth MacMillan’s work. It is of the upmost importance for dancers and audiences not only to see the new, but to connect with our heritage. Thanks to the incredible generosity of Lady MacMillan, Kevin O’Hare and the Royal Opera House, Northern Ballet will be able to perform this programme of some of MacMillan’s greatest works. The programme shows the great depth and diversity of this choreographic master and will demonstrate the strengths of Northern Ballet while providing new opportunities for growth. This is an extraordinary moment in history as a ballet company.’

Tickets for Northern Ballet’s A Celebration of Sir Kenneth MacMillan, Master Choreographer at Bradford Alhambra Theatre go on general sale on 20 March 2017. Visit northernballet.com/macmillan for details.

• Like 3

And I'd love to see it again.

Me too, Scheherezade, but Bradford and Leeds are rather a long way to travel to see three pieces I've already seen in London. If however, they were to present a piece I'd never seen before, say Symphony instead of Concerto, or House of Birds instead of Las Hermanas I might make the extra effort to make the journey. I think we can both agree that an all MacMillan triple is a welcome thing, whatever is consists of :)

Hello Darlex and welcome to the Forum.

I shall be travelling to Bradford to see NB perform this programme.  There is a matinee on the Saturday so a day trip from London is eminently feasible.  If you book advance train fares it could well be that the train fare and the ticket are less than the cost of a ticket in the ROH stalls!

• Like 2

Hello Darlex and welcome to the Forum.

I shall be travelling to Bradford to see NB perform this programme.  There is a matinee on the Saturday so a day trip from London is eminently feasible.  If you book advance train fares it could well be that the train fare and the ticket are less than the cost of a ticket in the ROH stalls!

Hello Janet and thank you for your kind welcome to the Forum. I will bear your advice in mind!

Some forum members may have felt I was trying to put a dampner on this Triple Bill. That was not my intention at all. I am really happy that NBT are performing this programme. I was more lamenting the fact that its always the same MacMillan ballets which are performed, ditto Ashton and we know that both choreographers did so much more. However, in the present economic climate we have to be pleased that any triple bills are being performed at all, not least one of this calibre.

Interestingly enough, BRB are also performing Concerto this Autumn in Birmingham.

BTW - NB lost the T over 5 years ago when they moved into their new premises in Leeds and rebranded slightly.

Sorry Janet, its still NBT and LFB for me!

• 3 months later...

I unfortunately do not manage to see much of Northern but am very pleased to see this programme announced and suspect GLORIA has not before been out of London;the other two were regularly on SWRB tours.Pity there are not more performances and I do hope audiences respond as this I imagine will be an expensive undertaking i.e. Choir/solo piano/harpsichord.I am not sure that the majority of even London audiences appreciate the importance of the "early" British choreographers  and hopefully ENB will also have great success touring "Song of the Earth".....again huge orchestra and two singers.So best of luck Northern and I hope to get to Leeds.

• Like 2

I think Gloria has been danced outside London, in the days that the Royal occasionally ventured out of London. Wasn't the televised performance filmed in Manchester? Unfortunately the Northern photos rather glamourise what is a deeply moving ballet.

I think that publicity photos are often more stylised than the real thing, and these do show the beauty of the designs. Besides which I can't imagine that a version that was 'prettified' would be allowed to be staged.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Press Release re Zenaida Yanowsky's guest appearances in Las Hermanas

Royal Ballet star joins Northern Ballet in Leeds

Las Hermanas / Concerto / Gloria

16 & 17 March 2018, Leeds Grand Theatre

Northern Ballet has announced that Royal Ballet star Zenaida Yanowsky will be performing with the Company as a Guest Artist during their run of Las Hermanas / Concerto / Gloria at Leeds Grand Theatre. One of the most exquisite dancers of her generation, award-winning Yanowsky will perform in Las Hermanas for two performances only on Friday 16 and Saturday 17 March (eve).

Yanowsky became a Principal dancer with The Royal Ballet in 2001 and has performed in all the Company’s major works to critical acclaim; most recently winning the National Dance Award for Outstanding Female Performance (Classical) in 2016. In 2017 she became a Guest Principal with The Royal Ballet and these performances of Las Hermanas with Northern Ballet mark her first collaboration with the Company.

Las Hermanas will be performed as part of a triple bill which also includes Concerto and Gloria, all works by one of the world’s most celebrated choreographers, Sir Kenneth MacMillan. This triple bill offers Leeds audiences a rare opportunity to see three ballet master works performed on their doorstep. The performances at Leeds Grand Theatrefrom 16 – 17 March follows the Company’s hugely anticipated and well-received première of this programme in October last year, as well as Northern Ballet’s Royal Opera House mainstage debut where they performed Gloria receivingglowing five star national reviews.

David Nixon OBE, Artistic Director of Northern Ballet said: ‘I am really delighted that Zenaida Yanowsky will be joining Northern Ballet to perform with us as Guest Artist for the first time. We were honoured to be asked to participate in the national celebration of Sir Kenneth MacMillan last year and this collaboration between the Royal Opera House and Northern Ballet has been instrumental in bringing this wonderful dancer to perform with us in Leeds. It is an incredible and rare treat for our home audiences in Leeds to see this programme of work by Sir Kenneth MacMillan, and now that Zenaida will be joining us, this will be even more of a special event.’

GetFile?v=1&signature=rm4nAxWlbHQGNyIoPX

[Northern Ballet in Las Hermanas, Concerto and Gloria. Photos Emma Kauldhar]

About Las Hermanas / Concerto / Gloria

Las Hermanas – Meaning ‘The Sisters’, Las Hermanas tells the story of five sisters living under the oppressive rule of their mother. The contrasting temperaments of each sister are demonstrated through MacMillan’s choreography which explores the powerful effects of sexuality, repression and jealousy, and when the younger sister seduces the eldest sister’s fiancé, the consequences are devastating.

Concerto - Concerto was originally created by Kenneth MacMillan for Deutsche Oper Ballet, Berlin to showcase the vivacity of the Company. A dazzling classical piece, Concerto perfectly complements the energy and precision of Shostakovich’s Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Major to which it is performed. 

Gloria – A deeply moving piece inspired by Vera Brittain’s wartime memoir Testament of Youth, in which the author laments the sacrifice of her fiancé and brother during World War I. A haunting tribute to the fallen, Gloria depicts the futility and brutality of war made all the more painful by contrasting moments recalling happier times of hopeful joy.

One of the leading choreographers of his generation, Sir Kenneth MacMillan enjoyed a close association with The Royal Ballet where he held positions as Director and Principal Choreographer. With a choreographic career spanning nearly four decades he created almost 100 works, many of which are still in the repertoires of leading companies across the globe.

Tickets for Northern Ballet’s Las Hermanas / Concerto / Gloria at Leeds Grand Theatre are on sale now. To book, visit leedsgrandtheatre.com or call the Box Office on 0844 848 2700*. Visit northernballet.com/macmillan for details.

-ENDS-

Notes to Editors

Las Hermanas / Concerto / Gloria  Performance Dates

Leeds Grand Theatre

16 – 17 March 2018**

Box Office 0844 848 2700*

leedsgrandtheatre.com

*Calls to 0844 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your phone company’s charge.

**Zenaida Yanowsky will perform during the evening performances only and not during the matinee on 17 March 2018.

Northern Ballet

Artistic Director – David Nixon OBE

Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading ballet companies and the widest touring ballet company in the UK. Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is prolific at creating new full-length work with a unique blend of strong classical technique and world-class storytelling. Northern Ballet’s repertoire embraces popular culture and takes inspiration from literature, legend, opera and the classics, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance.

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, Leeds-based Northern Ballet is dedicated to bringing world-class story ballets to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director David Nixon OBE. Northern Ballet’s Company of 46 dancers performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at almost 50 venues annually.

For more details of Northern Ballet's tour, on sale dates and booking information, please visit northernballet.com/whatson

National Tour Sponsor

GetFile?v=1&signature=rm4nAxWlbHQGNyIoPX 

• Like 3