A question for parents of recent graduates....

Ellie

A few decades ago very few graduates from my cohort would be fortunate enough to be chosen after their final year of training for a spot at Sadlers Wells or London Festival Ballet. Others if they had the wherewithal and financial ability would trek around Europe (especially Germany) knocking on doors, hoping to be allowed to do company class and if lucky getting a contract.( I must say that many of the latter group enjoyed success and longevity in their careers) 

My question is how do vocational schools help their students with employment nowadays ? If you've not been handpicked from the school by visiting directors what advice are you given ? If you're talented enough do summer schools with international guest teachers associated with companies pick out dancers at that level ?

Obviously it would be lovely to do the PDL ...but I'd be interested to hear strategies from parents with kids who have recently graduated , and who weren't considered the 'creme de la creme'... x

• Like 5

It probably isn't much help but maybe of interest to know what Vaganova do, as I have been very impressed by the support offered. I suppose in one sense they consider all their graduates to be the crème de la crème so do get a lot of visiting directors coming to watch class/exams/performances and cherry pick, and maybe they have an easier job placing their graduates because of their reputation.

However, in terms of process, DS says all students get to sit down with the director fairly early in the final year to discuss where they would LIKE to work; he will then start discussing the students with the appropriate ADs. A month or so ago DS was feeling a bit anxious about assuming he would get offered a contract by a Russian company and asked how he would go about applying to other companies such as (for example) Vienna. The head of the international students said she would initially discuss with the Director (as apparently he already has 'plans' for DS) and then write to the company asking them to give him an audition. Directors of the big Russian companies and many of the German ones also attend exams etc. DS says the graduate exam is the most widely attended and publicised event of the school year.

As far as I am aware amongst the boys last year all had a job offer by the end of the school year... 

This is very different to his experience at Kirov in Washington where he effectively had no support- I guess they were so USA focussed (and perhaps carried less 'clout'?) he was pretty much left to his own devices vis a vis jobs in Europe. Students tended to send a DVD and covering letter to company ADs and hope for an audition. One student was offered a contract on the basis of the DVD alone but I think she would come under the banner of exceptional.. They certainly didn't have 100% graduate employment but of course are much less selective compared with the big name schools...

• Like 4

My son is nowhere near the calibre of others on this board, more evaporated  milk than creme de la creme,  but he found that the support he got from his 16+ training was dependent upon the amount of work he put in. 

Staff were willing to help with application forms/DVDs but were not pro-actively scouting on his behalf.  They also advised, where they had any knowledge, of the suitability of opportunities he had found, and shared ideas and experience of the companies with him.

His main teacher did keep an eye on vacancies, and actually spotted the position he eventually accepted.  He also discussed the offers received with my son and helped him decide which to accept.  

• Like 5

well he has a job! so I think that puts him closer to the crème de la crème than you are so modestly suggesting :)

Exactly ! Getting a job straight after graduation is a great achievement, many don't. Congrats to both of your boys and best wishes. x

To be fair, it's not only a job, it's the one he chose because it was in a classical company. But remember, he was also assessed out at the end of year 9, so please folks don't feel it's the end of the road if it happens to you DC.

AD told him at the time he had potential as a dancer, but not in ballet.  DS has spent as many hours in the gym as the ballet studio to make it happen.

• Like 11