Pointe shoe suede toe caps

Beaglemum2301

Hi, we've just done it! I was a bit scared taking glue anywhere near those beautiful satin shoes but teacher is very strict - no tips no dancing. Spent a lot of time reading about rubbish glues that didn't work, then went with the proper stuff...

We used araldite (superglue), it was easy and worked brilliantly. Quick drying too so no holding in place for ages. The only thing you have to watch is making sure you get them positioned right first time - once that glue hits the shoe there is no re-positioning!! I got my husband to hold the shoe firmly upright, glued the suede tips then stuck to shoe starting at the leather sole (matching where I'd cut the tips to the sole) and folding round the top of the box. Job done and it was easier than I thought. They look fab too ????

• Like 1

When my dd used suede toe caps - only on her first few pairs which she'd grow out of within a month or so - dh used to stick them with Gutermann textile glue. Slow-drying enough to re-position if necessary, but non-staining and very durable.

Jet glue/runny superglue/pointe-shoe glue that is watery is perfect for using inside the shoe to harden, but I think it would be too quickly absorbed into both the satin and the suede to use for toe-caps.

• Like 1

I noticed someone up thread talking about "araldite (super glue)". It's not the same thing. Superglue or any of the many knockoffs are all the same chemical, cyanoacrylate. The great thing about it is that it sets very quick on contact with the air. You won't have a second chance to adjust.

Araldite is two different chemicals, that you mix immediately before you apply them. The setting happens as a result of the reaction between them. So does a nasty pong that tells you that you mixed them thoroughly. It takes several hours to finish setting, and you'll have some opportunity to fiddle before you're committed. Once done, though, it will outlive the shoes and probably you. Scrape the bits you don't want off with a very sharp blade.

• Like 1

I noticed someone up thread talking about "araldite (super glue)". It's not the same thing. Superglue or any of the many knockoffs are all the same chemical, cyanoacrylate. The great thing about it is that it sets very quick on contact with the air. You won't have a second chance to adjust.

Araldite is two different chemicals, that you mix immediately before you apply them. The setting happens as a result of the reaction between them. So does a nasty pong that tells you that you mixed them thoroughly. It takes several hours to finish setting, and you'll have some opportunity to fiddle before you're committed. Once done, though, it will outlive the shoes and probably you. Scrape the bits you don't want off with a very sharp blade.

I used Araldite superglue (its name). Easy, rapid bonding, no time for messing, no smell.

Other araldite products do smell.

And any other brand of superglue would work just as well, just always gone for araldite as my Dad always used it (in fact this was my Dad's tube ????).

• Like 1