Regional Youth Ballet

BankruptMum

I cant find out much about the company to be honest - from the paperwork they have sent me, it seems to be a very similar operation to EYB in selection process etc., they are putting on Les Sylphides at the Dolman Theatre in December.

Juniors 8 - 11 and Seniors 12 - 18.

Think the lady running it was involved in the Primo Balletto (?) school which was due to open in Abergavenney. Some friends children did a similar project with her a few years ago when it ran as Monmouthshire Youth Ballet. Gather she was a good teacher - danced with the Scottish Ballet herself. Their only slight critisim was that although it was an audition process pretty much everyone was offered a place. Hope this helps but it is all second hand info. so please don't make any decisions based on this!

Edited to mention - they all really enjoyed the experience and it offered quite varied roles.

Edited by sleep123
  • Like 1

My DD took part in Primo Balletto show couple of years ago. She loved it and the show was very professional. Great atmosphere. I agree that they took almost everybody who auditioned and it was bit expensive (in my opinion) but still I would take my DD there again. Any questions please ask. Wow - for the first time on this forum I may be able to help :-)

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your information, I can confirm that the Regional Youth Ballet were previously called Monmouthshire Youth Ballet, havent gleamed much more information than that after this evenings events.

The costs seem to be slightly cheaper than EYB but other than that it seems to run on a similar format.

There were only two on the panel, sorry useless at names (Sue ? - associated with the Royal Ballet) and a dark haired lady who awarded the prizes and seemed to organise the event (said I was useless!) The teacher who took class was lovely, they actually stopped somebody in pointwork as they noticed an issue with their shoes and also there was an unwell auditionee, both cases dealt with very sympathetically

My daughter took part in seniors and there were 22 of them, the class consisted of centre work, adage, allegro and pointe work those who didnt do point took part in soft shoes.

It wasn't a difficult class but the combination of steps made it a very 'thinking' class - good experience in itself. They made it clear at the end that they couldn't take everybody - we should hear in the next day or so (what a difference email makes!)

They pulled six forward for an extra dance with a view of potential scholarship award. Seems they couldnt split it so they awarded three half scholarships. They alsoawarded two to the juniors.

Very proud to say my daughter gained one of the awards, after the year she has had a much needed confidence boost. At least we will all know what the Regional Youth Ballet is all about now!

She also auditioned in Newport for the Ballet Cymru Associates on Sunday - wont here from them until mid August. Postie beware!!!!

• Like 9

Thank you everyone.

This is the only site I have managed to find:

http://olinga.wix.com/primo-balletto

The casting date is 20th October. With three performances 14th/15th December. Rehearsal schedule to follow.

I only picked up on the audition because somebody had posted on a friends Facebook site - all very random and last minute!

• Like 1

My DS has performed with English Youth , National Youth and Regional Youth and really enjoyed all three . He slightly favoured Regional Youth ( was Cheshire Youth) because he spent more time on stage performing . We found Ms Evington very helpful and according to DS a good teacher. Hope this helps

• Like 3

• 8 months later...