WL auditions for 2017

Caitlin_dance

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck everyone!! Can't believe it's been 2 years since we were there?!? It's an amazing experience and one that will stay with you no matter the outcome, enjoy it for what it is and best of luck to each and every one of you ????????????????

• Like 1

I am assuming that it's ok to say this as the information has been put onto a public Facebook page & the child concerned named but a well known dance school based in Manchester has just announced that one of their boys who was auditioning for a Year 8 place has been offered an immediate start next week.

• Like 2

DD and I finally home after the audition. 

I was very impressed by the WL staff and the whole place. A great introduction and tour by the staff. I wasn't aware of just how big a deal it is for DD to get to the finals. 

DD had a great time and seemed genuinely sad to be leaving as she made some friends. Now the short wait for the results.

Good luck everyone.  :)

• Like 7

Lovely couple of days DD really enjoyed it . We have both come away with the realisation that a place would be a very unlikely eventuality . She said there were some very talented girls there far more advanced than herself with "beautiful ballet bodies" I have to admit I felt that looking around . Just feel very honoured to have come this far was such an interesting experience . The dormitory tour was just lovely brought a tear to my eye to see all these little beds lined up with personal photos and teddys , such brave children to leave home to Pursue their dreams . The children we spoke to this morning were an absolute credit to the school , friendly , articulate and most of all so clearly very happy . Good luck to everyone now waiting and well done all round.

• Like 7

Lovely couple of days DD really enjoyed it . We have both come away with the realisation that a place would be a very unlikely eventuality . She said there were some very talented girls there far more advanced than herself with "beautiful ballet bodies" I have to admit I felt that looking around . Just feel very honoured to have come this far was such an interesting experience . The dormitory tour was just lovely brought a tear to my eye to see all these little beds lined up with personal photos and teddys , such brave children to leave home to Pursue their dreams . The children we spoke to this morning were an absolute credit to the school , friendly , articulate and most of all so clearly very happy . Good luck to everyone now waiting and well done all round.

....also the little notes that the children left in the dormitories for the applicants.... just wow. 

• Like 1

I second that. The staff were lovely and the girls all seemed to have a wonderful time. The notes on the beds wishing all the applicants luck and telling the girls to believe in themselves were so touching. Only bad thing about experience from our point of view is that DD wants it so so much now that if she gets a no, then she'll be devastated. Before this weekend, she would have handled it reasonably well. The process makes them want it more which is wonderful for those get a yes but devastating for the rest!

• Like 4

My DD had a wonderful time at WL finals, she made some new friends. Fantastic experience for all the girls.

My DD said she is feeling really stiff today, so really worked them hard yesterday.

How do the results come is via email or letter?

Good Luck All xxxx

• Like 3

Good luck everyone, my dd loved the audition but it didn't go to plan, and she was disappointed in herself when she came out which is always tough. She wanted a call back so she had a chance to prove herself again bless her but didn't get one. Regardless she enjoyed the experience, the friendships made and camaraderie amongst the girls, seeing some friends that were already at the school, and generally getting the opportunity to dance in such a beautiful place. We know that 4 in 5 girls will get a no this time so we are in good company, so just taking it for fabulous life lesson. We haven't had the result yet but she's already said she's going to work hard and try again in a year or two so I'm very proud of her xx

Good luck to all the girls, as expected the standard was incredibly high, and to those that get a yes, you must be very special young ladies indeed ????Xxxxx

• Like 5

Balletmummy55 she might still get in!! who gets called back?? people they are not sure about? Good luck. must be so hard to get to finals & see it all. Must make you want it even more.Your DD must be incredible to have got finals. Out of interest how much ballet is everyone doing if they reach finals. When you say standard is incredibly high is that down to technique & that some people are very advanced. Is everyone doing lots of private lessons?

• Like 1

Good luck everyone, my dd loved the audition but it didn't go to plan, and she was disappointed in herself when she came out which is always tough. She wanted a call back so she had a chance to prove herself again bless her but didn't get one. Regardless she enjoyed the experience, the friendships made and camaraderie amongst the girls, seeing some friends that were already at the school, and generally getting the opportunity to dance in such a beautiful place. We know that 4 in 5 girls will get a no this time so we are in good company, so just taking it for fabulous life lesson. We haven't had the result yet but she's already said she's going to work hard and try again in a year or two so I'm very proud of her xx

Good luck to all the girls, as expected the standard was incredibly high, and to those that get a yes, you must be very special young ladies indeed ????Xxxxx

Maybe they seen her potential it is not an exam... good luck!!!

• Like 2

Thank you Dancer123 xx I think that's what the call backs are but my dd was very sure she wasn't in the definite yeses after a wobbly ballet class and physical assessment xxxx

No private lessons for us .. My dd goes to a small dance school and she does 2 syllabus classes a week in ballet. Her teacher has let her join a higher grade for the last few weeks for a bit of extra training. So 2.5 hours total the last few weeks. Plus JAs of 2.25hrs approx every other week.

However from speaking to other parents, many children do many more hours than this for ballet, made up of syllabus, non-syllabus, associates, comp classes etc but I'm sure there's a huge range.

Advanced in that my dd advised that many girls had spoken about what they do ballet wise, their high grades, already en pointe for a significant time, and she recognised many girls from winning prestigious competitions, as well as how advanced her whole class seemed to be in terms of technique, flexibility and performance. This is of course from the mouth of a child who was feeling a little disheartened but she's generally pretty astute xxx

Yes I think it does make it harder getting to finals. It's very easy to think it's not for them until you are caught up in the experience and you just think wow, what an opportunity xxx

• Like 2

High grades and winning competitions is not necessarily what RBS is looking for. In my DD's year there was a huge range of previous experience from those that had done all of this to those that had done very little and had only been dancing for a short time.

Also remember this is not the only route to success!

I do remember how nerve wracking the auditions and the subsequent waiting was - I feel for you all!!

Would love to tell you it gets better but not sure it does! ????

• Like 3

Thanks for your reply. Wow it really does sound so hard! Must be so intimidating to be in an audition like that where everyone wants it so much. Huge fingers crossed for your DD. She has done amazingly well to be a JA & get a final. Something we could only ever dream of!! If she does not get it this time who knows what is around the corner (good news you get to keep her at home!!)

• Like 1

Balletmummy55 I do think the recalls is the undecided. My DD said they was a mixture of ballet strengths. So definitely looking for potential.

DD said they was some amazing dancers, fantastic technique, just lacked that sparkle! (We talk about sparkle a lot at her dance school) Which is also what they are looking for.

DD tripped up, but she got back on feet and back in time with music. I thought she would I have been devastated by this, but handle it very well.

We are new to ballet only doing grades for 2 1/2 years, not on pointe and do approx 3.5 a week with JA's, privates and grade classes.

I know DD will be gutted if it's a no, but she had a fantastic experience and knows she done well to get this far.

• Like 1

DS loved the day on Thursday. But as others have said, his previous nonchalance has been replaced with 'I really, really want to go'. Which in turn now means that I am worrying about the results, because it means the chances are it's a 'no'.

To top it all, my DH has decided (without consultation with me!) that today is the day we change our broadband provider...so a new router *should* be arriving today and provision *should* change at midnight. But the email says it may happen any time in the twenty four hour period....and it just so happens we will be waiting for an email at that time, so thank god I will be at work tomorrow and weds!!

• Like 2

Well done to everyone. There must have been such a high standard for there to be a 50 percent increase in the numbers of girls taken through to Finals this year! Inevitably it will be a tiny percentage that are selected and there will be disappointment but how wonderful to have danced at White Lodge and no doubt there will be other amazing opportunities for those that aren't offered Yr 7 places.

• Like 2