WL auditions for 2017

Caitlin_dance

In shock to say my DD is one of the 2 JA girls from Eastleigh...

There are 2 girls and 2 boys with yes emails from our centre.

Those that have followed my story will know that we started this road with a "no" email from RB in yr4... So just goes to show it really does just mean "not yet"

Please don't let your lovely DC give up :x

BIG congratulations to your lovely DD, so well deserved.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To those with a no - which is actually a not here or not yet ..........Take heart!

4 years ago my DS was one of the few in his JA class that all got to the finals and set his heart on life at White Lodge but got a NO and he was devastated.

I remember so well ......It was so hard to console him as he threatened to "jump out the window as his life's was over !"(always was a drama queen)

By next week it was all behind him -he had a place that fits him even better, further way from home that's I would have liked , but he has thrived there . Thank goodness his local teacher persuaded us to do 2 auditions ! Others that got a longed for WL place have since been assessed out and come and moved on again, but he is still going strong!

If the passion is there there will be a way! So be brave and keep dancing xx

• Like 10

I'm sure each child reacts differently to the environment, fortunately my child doesn't feel the pressure, it's just one big party. They also stay in contact and meet regularly with those that have left so I do feel that most have a balanced view on the whole thing.

I would also say that it is not at all competitive, again in our experience, they are all very supportive of each other.

• Like 5

And something else to add to the mix...

A friend spent 5 very happy years at WL, was a beautiful dancer, but chose at 16 to go to her local 6th form to do sciences, then uni to study medicine and is now a brilliant doctor.

Plans and pathways change. They are impossible to predict or control. What will be will be ????

• Like 11

Everyone was very friendly when dd was at w/l, however they are assessed frequently in ballet classes so there's def pressure to 'keep up', to avoid being assessed out! It depends on the child some cope easily with that pressure others don't so much, add that to adjusting being away from home for first time at 11, it's not easy for some, But as I say some thrive in that environment. White Lodge is lovely but for the ones that got 'no's' it's not the end of the world there's other very good dance schools in this country.

• Like 6

I agree we did not see it as competitive between the children, I did not mean to sound negative my daughter loved her time at white lodge and made wonderful lifetime friends, they have a special bond having been there. But it can be stressful. But it is not the only route to take and as I said they are young and many of them change there mind in which direction they go between 11 and 19. Wishing all the yes's and no's the best of luck for their onward journeys at whichever schools they attend whether vocational or not and mostly don't forget to enjoy dancing.

• Like 9

I get the impression from reading this Forum that once you are "in" White Lodge, that's when the real pressure starts. Is it really that stressful and competitive there? 

I would have thought that starting any new school anywhere is stressful for the student and the parents.

• Like 2

I would have thought that starting any new school anywhere is stressful for the student and the parents.

Yes, starting any school is very stressful.  But unlike other schools where unless you have severe behavioural problems leading to exclusion you know you have a place until the end of year 11 it must be incredible stressful to know that you could be asked to leave at the end of any academic year.

• Like 5

Interesting reading everyone's stories and comments about WL. I understand to some it may be stressful not knowing wether child will have a place the following year. All I will say is my DS was successful in his audition for year 7 this year and even if it only lasts a year it will make up for the last 6 years of him been bullied for loving ballet. He's where he needs to be if it's only for a short time then at least he will have spent some time with children who love the same as him. Congratulations to all those getting a yes too.

• Like 24

I guess the realistic stories prove some comfort to those that got a NO. But I am sure everyone given the opportunity would have to go for it. Its incredibly exciting you only get one life & best to try & enjoy each day that you there. But keeping your feet on the ground, being realistic & not seeing it as the only path to be successful in life & dance & remembering that is the main thing.

• Like 8

I think that yes it would be a lot of pressure and stress for the DC but I also think that most of these kids are not just your average 11 year olds, they have chose this path, they (mostly) have a clear idea of how they would ideally like their lives to pan out and they are made very aware of what is involved in accepting a place, so I think that as a whole they are going into it with their eyes open and so yes maybe stressful but also a source of drive and determination for a lot of them perhaps?

Anyway many congratulations to the yeses, I can't imagine the joy your DC must be feeling right now and I'm so sorry for all the no's, but please remember that is is just a not now, keep trying and never give up on your dreams. For my DC the no wasn't taken too hard when she made finals a couple of years ago as it turns out she didn't like WL, to our (and her own) amazement she came away from finals with a feeling that it wasn't the right place for her, yes she had enjoyed her day and thought the place was beautiful but something just didn't feel right for her....so maybe not everyone would have to say yes if offered a place, it would have caused us quite a dilemma if my dd had got offered a place and I'm really not sure what we would have done!!

• Like 2

Lena, my DD felt the same last year at Finals and so the No was easy to accept. Less so the No from Elmhurst last year but as you know, she picked herself up, kept trying hard and got her Elmhurst place part way through the Autumn term for Y8 following summer school. She loves it where she is too which is a relief but now worrying about her assessment next term. So it doesn't stop but this year off the audition trail has been nice for my nerves but still stalking the forum as love knowing how everyone else is getting on.

Commiserations for the not gets and congrats for the yes's. x

• Like 5

In shock to say my DD is one of the 2 JA girls from Eastleigh...

There are 2 girls and 2 boys with yes emails from our centre.

Those that have followed my story will know that we started this road with a "no" email from RB in yr4... So just goes to show it really does just mean "not yet"

Please don't let your lovely DC give up :x

Well done to your DD - funnily enough that is exactly what happened to my DD and she is now in year 8 WL. So many things change along the way - a girl came into Year 8 this year who had a no in Year 7 and I know a girl coming into Year 9 who also didn't get into Year 7. It all changes again as they get older and develop more - so although with nos don't give up x
  • Like 3

I get the impression from reading this Forum that once you are "in" White Lodge, that's when the real pressure starts. Is it really that stressful and competitive there?

My DD loves it there, has fantastic opportunities and dance experiences, has some amazing friends and they are all so incredibly supportive of each other, not competitive between themselves. They are worked incredibly hard as one would expect at their level but most thrive on it. Assessments are stressful because they want it so much but there are so many reasons that they won't all make it and age 11 is so young to make these life long decisions about what they want to do, things change, some within their control and others not.

My DD sometimes worries about not having a plan B - her older sister hasn't even got a plan A!!

• Like 6

It would be nice to keep the posts positive as children and parents don't need to be stressed about WL before the journey has even started. It's such a huge achievement that these children have been given a place in what is seen as one of the top ballet schools in the world.

• Like 12

I am sure no one has said anything they successful applicants have not thought about themselves & I am sure they can take it with a pinch of salt. Everybody is very positive & over the moon for the children that got a YES & likewise we are aware & respectful of the feelings for the children whose parents have had the hard task to tell their DC it was a NO. I think its great to be able to hear both the positives & negatives of experiences others have had so people can start their journey with excitement & eyes wide open

• Like 11

It is a very surprising yes... of course very aware of all the no ...

Good luck for the future to all the DC ...

Congratulations to your dd Hopeful. I'm sure this is the start of a very exciting journey for her

Wow Hopeful that is just incredible. I was thinking you were one of the few posters we hadn't yet heard from! Huge congratulations to your dd.

Also Mummysboy I was really sorry to read about your ds' experience over so many years and so happy that he can now dedicate himself to what he loves amongst others who value the same things ????

Very many congratulations to all the yeses.  Sorry to the nos.  I sense that the post may have unintentionally become rather negative of WL and of course each person's experience is very different there.  What I would say, though, is that I wish we had not taken up the WL offer without finishing seeing the other schools.  We never really made a choice and accepted WL.  I wish someone had told me then, continue to have a look at the other schools and have a real think about which school is best for your child.  Don't take WL just because you think it is the best but actually make an active choice.  Consider all the aspects of the school.  For example, I didn't twig on till quite late in the day that triple science is not possible at WL but is at Tring/Hammond.  Consider all the aspects that you need to.  Is your child going to thrive on the competition?  Would they thrive better knowing there is no assessing out, for example?  It is rare to be assessed out at Tring/Hammond and WL still do it every year (less common in year 7/8 but still happens).  

• Like 9

Congratulations to all the DC & their families with a yes !!! To all those with a 'not this time' I know from our own experiences what that feels like & it's so tough. Remember they are extremely talented to get this far & one school may say 'no' and another school say 'yes' ....... for so many different reasons !! All the vocational schools have positives & negatives and different schools will be a 'better fit' for different DC....... So it is very wise advice to consider all aspects before making any decisions. I'm a great believer in - if the DC is happy & settled in their school - this will be reflected in their dancing. Wishing all these DC and their families the best of luck with their own journeys. :)

• Like 6