English National Ballet School 2017 entry.

Miracle

Results came by email Dancermum.

Karen, it was a fairly basic ballet class very similar in length and only slightly more difficult than Elmhurst. Similar exercises at barre and in the centre, flexibility tests and no pointe work. Everything done in twos or small groups so everyone seen equally.

• Like 1

Just been on their website. Not looked at it for years. Might seem like a trivial thing, but on the section about ENB, you'd think that they would mention that for decades the company was called Festival Ballet, then London Festival Ballet. I'm sure there might be people scratching their heads thinking, hang on, it was founded by Alicia Markova all those years ago. How come I never heard of English National Ballet when I was growing up? [if they're an old fart in their late forties like me]. 

Just been on their website. Not looked at it for years. Might seem like a trivial thing, but on the section about ENB, you'd think that they would mention that for decades the company was called Festival Ballet, then London Festival Ballet. I'm sure there might be people scratching their heads thinking, hang on, it was founded by Alicia Markova all those years ago. How come I never heard of English National Ballet when I was growing up? [if they're an old fart in their late forties like me]. 

I assume you meant the company website as opposed to the school website?

School website: http://www.enbschool.org.uk

• Like 1

Loulabelle,

Could you tell me how many were at the audition and who taught and watched the audition class, and what the age range was?

I'm estimating now as DD is at school but I think about 20 as DD said they did things in fives and there were 3 or 4 not there.

Class was taken by the 1st year girls teacher (I think, can confirm later) there were 4 on the panel, the director of dance, the third year girls teacher a boys teacher and one other who I'm not sure of.

As we didn't know all the candidates I can't say for sure if ages but I would say all 15/16.

Results came by email Dancermum.

Karen, it was a fairly basic ballet class very similar in length and only slightly more difficult than Elmhurst. Similar exercises at barre and in the centre, flexibility tests and no pointe work. Everything done in twos or small groups so everyone seen equally.

Thank you very much Loulabelle

No I meant the school website.

Oh, found the page you meant.  I suppose the thinking is that people with school age children have probably only known the company as ENB.  There is a much more comprehensive history of the company on the company website.

Thank you, Laulabelle. It was helpful.

I wonder how many will pass to final.

I know of three from my DD's audition (my DD included) but I expect there are more.

We were told they would see approx 60 for up to 30 places (boys and girls).

Edited by Loulabelle
  • Like 1

Oh, found the page you meant.  I suppose the thinking is that people with school age children have probably only known the company as ENB.  There is a much more comprehensive history of the company on the company website.

I'm of an age to have school-age children (though I don't) and I remember being taken to London Festival Ballet's Nutcracker 30 years ago...

• Like 1