Mayerling - and Spring public booking

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am furious: I managed to get reasonable seats for all the Watson Mayerlings, including one excellent standing ticket, and the $%"£^"&"& site has gone and lost them all, probably irretrievably.  Not to mention the ones I had for Jewels ...

• Like 1

I found the blocking out of the 2nd May entire core amphi (it being only one of two Mayerlings available to see Yanowsky's final performance in this assignment and - who knows - perhaps Watson as well) a tad disturbing ...  I must confess.  

Sadly having severe foraminal stenosis I cannot now sit (is that the word ... squirm more like) in the further reaches of the slips ... as I did in my youth without damaging physical distress ... and other assignments are beyond my responsible means - given the volume I purchase.  

Hey, ho!  

Edited by Bruce Wall

I've just had a look. It's crazy that the Watson dates have practically sold out already. 

Previously I had made comments in support of the student amphitheatre date. Whilst I stand by the sentiment, I hadn't realised at the time that the Watson cast only has 3 dates, leaving just 2 dates with a general sale for the amphitheatre. That does't seem fair. 

I feel for those who have missed out on tickets and wish you best of luck with returns.

• Like 3

I could not agree more - I tweeted ROH as such they replied saying oh there are tickets left from £5 - yes for the really poor seats!!! I went back and said I thought they had to keep some seats back under funding rules etc. no reply.  I wanted the Soares matinee anyway which I got no problem as I was not so enamoured with Watson the last time (I've seen him twice now).  I think this just shows that ballet at ROH has become more elitist than ever so if you are not the top level Friend then you have no chance.  They should either make it all members only or have no priority booking as it is truly ridiculous now.  I'm disgusted that all the shows were sold out in most areas (for Watson cast) with only the poorest seats in the Amphi left.  I rarely have this trouble with other companies and it is making me very anti Royal Ballet sadly.

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 6

What is particularly crazy is that the performance on the 2nd, which was the first one I went for, showed completely sold out in all areas of the house apart from the amphitheatre, at 9 am when booking opened.  What happened to the "retaining 20% for the general public" thing?  Or do students count as the general public?

• Like 3

I've just had a look. It's crazy that the Watson dates have practically sold out already. 

Previously I had made comments in support of the student amphitheatre date. Whilst I stand by the sentiment, I hadn't realised at the time that the Watson cast only has 3 dates, leaving just 2 dates with a general sale for the amphitheatre. That does't seem fair. 

I feel for those who have missed out on tickets and wish you best of luck with returns.

There was virtually nothing left at 09.08.  ROH you have really let me down and I am livid.  I wanted to book for all 3 Watsons and have ended up with none.  I should have known - went into Box Office on Sat and asked how Mayerling looked and the guy made a face at me.  They have sold far too many in advance.  Given what I spend with ROH each year, I am beyond angry.

• Like 7

I am a friend+ Which puts me further up the food chain than a friend and there has only been side slips available for the 2nd May Watson performance since booking opened for us. So all the seats have been scooped up by the people who can afford the top memberships or kept for students.Grrrrr

• Like 1

I am furious: I managed to get reasonable seats for all the Watson Mayerlings, including one excellent standing ticket, and the $%"£^"&"& site has gone and lost them all, probably irretrievably.  Not to mention the ones I had for Jewels ...

Alison, this happened to me once when I was booking on a work assignment in Berlin ... I wrote a note immediately and they were able to get all my assignments back.  

Good luck :) 

I was also really taken aback to find hardly any seats left for Watson's Mayerling. I wanted one for the 11th and apart from the slips there was one seat in the Amphi so I looked at 28th April and managed to get a reasonably cheap seat but there were none of the top price seats left (not that I wanted to pay that much). It's the first time I've never seen a reasonable selection of seats at the opening of public booking. After I'd done my booking I noticed a few more seats had appeared for the 11th in the rear Amphi but not many.

• Like 2

Am I seeing things?  A sudden rush of tickets - like blood to the head!  Have just got the 28th and 2, just the last one to go now.  What on earth goes on?

Crazy. Maybe they got so many protests that they released more tickets - but why would they not have been released earlier anyway? Baffling. But very glad you've now got your tickets, penelopesimpson!

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 2

Vis a vis 2nd May - could they not have sold this to students in advance with a cut off date immediately before general booking ... and then let any which had not been purchased be made available to the poor ... sorry, general public .... ???

Perhaps they did this and all the students snapped them up.... 

• Like 1

Am I seeing things?  A sudden rush of tickets - like blood to the head!  Have just got the 28th and 2, just the last one to go now.  What on earth goes on?

As I just wrote ROH said on Twitter they were releasing another 100 tix per show at 10am.  Naughty.  I nabbed a standing one for the opening night.

I have always guessed that people reserve a load of seats for different performances by putting them in their basket, then make a decision as to what they want and release the ones they don’t. 

Repeated refreshing and checking back really pays off. Same for Friday rush tickets. Don’t give up!

• Like 1

I haven't - although I did at least manage to retrieve my standing ticket for the first performance, but the others appear to have vanished into thin air.  I guess that's what happens when you under-programme a work :(

One million Fille's, two million  Sleeping Beautys (yawn) and a paltry handfall of Mayerlings.  Who on earth programmed it this way?

• Like 2

Vis a vis 2nd May - could they not have sold this to students in advance with a cut off date immediately before general booking ... and then let any which had not been purchased be made available to the poor ... sorry, general public .... ???

Perhaps they did this and all the students snapped them up.... 

If it makes you feel any better Bruce, availability in the student amphitheatre on 2nd May looks very much like the other dates. About 90 tickets still available, most in the slips and about 20 dotted around the back. Only one ticket lower than row M. It was like this when I checked before general booking opened this morning despite the tickets initially selling slowly when student booking opened yesterday morning.

I agree with the principle, but in this case it would not have helped.

• Like 1

Well, what a peculiar few minutes on the ROH site. As I read on here, next to nothing doing for Mayerling at first, then new seats released at 10am. Tickets available but not responding to being clicked on. 100 seats available showing for Watson that didn't seem to exist and so on. I didn't want to make a dent in my tablet but was getting quite vexed!

I finally managed to nab a stalls circle ticket for the 11th May, just in case there is a repeat of this fiasco for the Ashton triple. I do want to see Yanowsky one last time.

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm so impressionable. I'd already booked for a Watson Mayerling when Friends booking opened, and that was all I intended to go to. When I started reading this thread, I thought 'Oh! I must try and get some more tickets!'. So I've now booked for another Watson and a Soares. Tut tut. All your fault.

• Like 6

Honestly, I'm so impressionable. I'd already booked for a Watson Mayerling when Friends booking opened, and that was all I intended to go to. When I started reading this thread, I thought 'Oh! I must try and get some more tickets!'. So I've now booked for another Watson and a Soares. Tut tut. All your fault.

You won't regret it!   I've got the hat trick now!  

• Like 3

Perhaps the explanation for the release of tickets at 10 am today is that they have been held back for those who book in person or by phone. Not everyone has access to the internet you know and among those who do have access not everyone feels that confident about using it to book tickets. I suspect that people who can't book on the internet get just as upset by the thought that ticket start to go on sale at 9am as some of us do at the number of tiers of Friends that there now are. 

As far as the choice of repertory and the number of performances of each programme is concerned  my guess is that this season's programming was directed at developing the younger dancers by giving them lots of opportunities to dance classically based choreography.Everyone, including the corps, get that opportunity in ballets like Fille and Sleeping Beauty but they don't get that sort of opportunity in MacMillan's Mayerling or his Romeo and Juliet or Manon, in which they are for the main part,stage decoration and moving wallpaper.If Kevin is going to build his company from the bottom up then we are likely to see ballets with classically based choreography taking up a large part of the schedule in each season for sometime..  

Edited by FLOSS