RB Summer Season Casting

Yes Osipova danced it with Golding. I really liked it but reviews were a bit mixed - more negative about him I think. To be honest I'm so exhausted by the M&A saga, I'd just wish they'd divvy up the performances between ZY and AF, and jiggle round Osipova and Hayward! Actually I've gone past caring!

• Like 3

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Could also see Hayward being promoted to first cast as she's physically right for MacRae and a principal broadcast but  but also suit management's raising of perceived status for her....

Do we have any real evidence to believe that RB management are deliberately pushing Hayward, or is it just that the media find her interesting? This is not a loaded question - I'm not trying to stir up old arguments, I'm just curious!

Personally speaking, I'd rather she continue to develop her partnership with Sambe than switch to McRae.

Sorry, my wording was probably injudiciously chosen. I think it's clear that Hayward is regarded as a very promising and accomplished dancer who has been given some terrific opportunities and an appearance in a principal role on a broadcast under these circumstances might seem an appropriate response even if an alternative solution was found for the later performances. 

I'd hoped that the partnership with Campbell would be further developed but have no objections to that with Sambe either as they seem to work very well together too.

Edited by Jamesrhblack
Spelling
  • Like 2

There are already stories appearing in the press about Polunin's decision and I'm really puzzled that several repeat the claim that he was the RB's youngest ever principal, being promoted at 19. But his date of birth is widely given as November 1989 and he was promoted in the summer of 2010, which surely made him 20? - and weren't both Cojocaru and Nunez  younger than him when they were made principal,? But I'd agree he was the youngest ever male principal (of the Covent Garden company, that is).

Full marks to the Times raking up old issues, and cliché's aplenty in so few words. I admire Polunin's technique or what it once was. People also call for people not to criticise this decision but this press really just takes so much energy. Even Matthew Bourne on Twitter wrote  'surprise surprise' in response to the news.

Under the original ROH announcement where it seems some of the Polunin camp have strongly hinted at the reasons why he has withdrawn. Stating roughly that he returned for reasons that were not of his choosing, he doesn't really care about Royal and it isn't a big deal for him, and that RB just didn't understand him enough.

I feel so sorry for Mr Polunin, by the sounds of it, he have had a pretty sad childhood. However, he doesn't seem to be professional in his dealings with the world - perhaps, he needs time to sort out who he really is?

I know most people are mourning that such talent is going to waste but at the same time, Mr Polunin is not a trained monkey - he can't be forced into something that he doesn't necessarily want to do. I wish him well in the future and I dearly hope that he will find something that he is truly happy doing. I hope that Miss Osipova will help him and support him.

Am I alone in a wishing that rather than distressing over a cancellation by a wayward guest that we should be celebrating the glorious ever ready and brilliantly committed talents of our home team.  They will come to the fore as they have throughout this season of joy.

I for one can't wait to see the RBS Showcase to see what new inspiration is being wafted even as I type.  There is so, SO much that is positive to look forward to.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 15

9 hours ago, SwissBalletFan said:

Under the original ROH announcement where it seems some of the Polunin camp have strongly hinted at the reasons why he has withdrawn. Stating roughly that he returned for reasons that were not of his choosing, he doesn't really care about Royal and it isn't a big deal for him, and that RB just didn't understand him enough.

Then maybe he should have declined when first asked and saved a lot of fans this disappointment.

• Like 5

I am assuming from the bald statement on the ROH website that they don't know why he has cancelled?  

There is nothing wrong with any dancer withdrawing from performances.  However, without giving a reason, there is bound to be speculation.  

50 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I am assuming from the bald statement on the ROH website that they don't know why he has cancelled? 

I am assuming that if they do know they're not impressed. I don't think I've ever seen them give such a tersely worded announcement before.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Am I alone in a wishing that rather than distressing over a cancellation by a wayward guest that we should be celebrating the glorious ever ready and brilliantly committed talents of our home team.  

Dear Bruce Wall, for me it is not “rather than”. Both reactions or feelings - “distressing over a cancellation” and “celebrating the glorious… talents of our home team” are naturally worthwhile for me.

• Like 2

When I read the Times article  this morning the most exciting thing was the photo of Sergei Polunin and Yuhui Choe in Nutcracker, reminded me of how beautiful they were in La Bayadere too, how sad that such a promising partnership was lost!

• Like 7

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 13:38, alison said:

I don't know whether they'll switch the Dream casting about?  It has to be someone small enough for McRae to partner comfortably, I think.  Not sure Morera fits the bill.

Having thought about this a bit more, I'm actually wondering how big an issue this is.  After all, don't Oberon and Titania pretty much only dance the "reconciliation" pas de deux together?  Given that the performances are all sold out, I can't see the punters being happy if casts they booked for got moved around.

In what I know - indeed I'm sure - is a fantasy world just now I would love to see Anna Rose O'Sullivan dance with McRae in The Dream.  Her dramatic etching of the small role of Princess Louise in Mayerling (nowhere approaching the same thing as an Ashton Titania I realise) was entirely thrilling and the magic of her balletic artistry - be it as a vivacious Florine or anything else - has sparkled throughout this fine RB season.  

Such a performance could well be a landmark in what I'm sure is a brilliant career to come.  I would so love to see such celebrated in cinemas as well.  What are stars after all unless they are built and there is no doubt in my mind but that this very talented young lady is world class.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

On 11/05/2017 at 17:57, Jane S said:

There are already stories appearing in the press about Polunin's decision and I'm really puzzled that several repeat the claim that he was the RB's youngest ever principal, being promoted at 19. But his date of birth is widely given as November 1989 and he was promoted in the summer of 2010, which surely made him 20? - and weren't both Cojocaru and Nunez  younger than him when they were made principal,? But I'd agree he was the youngest ever male principal (of the Covent Garden company, that is).

That is a meteoric rise. How old was he when he joined the company, and had he been with the company long before being promoted to principal?

1 hour ago, taxi4ballet said:

That is a meteoric rise. How old was he when he joined the company, and had he been with the company long before being promoted to principal?

He joined in 2007 when he was 17 so he was in the RB for 3 years before he became a Principal.

On 5/11/2017 at 16:39, Lizbie1 said:

Do we have any real evidence to believe that RB management are deliberately pushing Hayward......

I think that all Directors 'back' the people they have promoted, not least because they want to secure the succession at the top. Kevin O'Hare is also giving Takada many opportunities.

Both ballerinas seemed to have blossomed even more since they became Principals. Great for us!

• Like 3

On 5/13/2017 at 12:15, Bruce Wall said:

In what I know - indeed I'm sure - is a fantasy world just now I would love to see Anna Rose O'Sullivan dance with McRae in The Dream.  Her dramatic etching of the small role of Princess Louise in Mayerling (nowhere approaching the same thing as an Ashton Titania I realise) was entirely thrilling and the magic of her balletic artistry - be it as a vivacious Florine or anything else - has sparkled throughout this fine RB season.  

Such a performance could well be a landmark in what I'm sure is a brilliant career to come.  I would so love to see such celebrated in cinemas as well.  What are stars after all unless they are built and there is no doubt in my mind but that this very talented young lady is world class.  

I agree that Anna Rose O'Sullivan could make a wonderful Titania. She has really stood out for me this season too. Can't wait to see her in bigger roles.

15 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

A pity about all the Programmes!

I have a feeling they don't print the cast list until the day of the performance or the day before. The reason I think this is that when Olivia replaced Sarah in Mayerling the other day it was Olivia's name that appeared in the cast list not Sarah's, not even a change sheet was needed.

SPD44.....I believe Penelope is referring to the glossy programmes which list all the season's dancers.  I don't know how far in advance they are printed as they don't list the casts.  

1 hour ago, Sim said:

SPD44.....I believe Penelope is referring to the glossy programmes which list all the season's dancers.  I don't know how far in advance they are printed as they don't list the casts.  

Yes, I do mean the glossy programmes. Noticed Sergei was included.  As the Artists are alphabetical, will mean several pages have to be re-done.  Poor old RB - They certainly don't deserve this.  Sadly, I think they will be well advised to loose Mr. Polunin's telephone number, at least for a number of years.

i found an interesting Spectator piece this morning, written possibly a couple of years ago by an interviewer with an open mind.  Sergei comes across as a nice guy but one who is obsessed with money, status and being in Hollywood films.  Nothing particularly wrong with that, but he doesn't seem to realise that you also have to put the hard graft in.  Seems he could have had it all but, despite his talent, his temperament let's him down.  It will be difficult for him to keep playing ballet's bad boy when he hits thirty.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

i found an interesting Spectator piece this morning, written possibly a couple of years ago by an interviewer with an open mind.  Sergei comes across as a nice guy but one who is obsessed with money, status and being in Hollywood films.  Nothing particularly wrong with that, but he doesn't seem to realise that you also have to put the hard graft in.  Seems he could have had it all but, despite his talent, his temperament let's him down.  It will be difficult for him to keep playing ballet's bad boy when he hits thirty.

Reminds me of a documentary many years ago on tv about a drama school in London, where they were interviewing potential entrants and one lad, when asked why he wanted to be an actor replied ' because I 'll earn lots of money and won't have to do any work!' He wasn't accepted.

• Like 3

Cast changes for the Strapless mixed bill just announced on the ROH website:

Reece Clarke will be replaced by Ryoichi Hirano as Dr Samuel-Jean Pozzi for performances of Strapless on 20, 24 and 25 May 2017.

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-change-ryoichi-hirano-to-dance-in-strapless-on-20-24-and-25-may-2017

Due to injury, Sarah Lamb will be replaced by Beatriz Stix-Brunell for the performance of The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude on 18 May 2017. For the performances on 23 and 25 May, Lamb will be replaced by Mayara Magri.

Lauren Cuthbertson will be replaced by Akane Takada for the performances on 18, 23 and 25 May 2017.

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-changes-the-vertiginous-thrill-of-exactitude-on-18-23-25-may-2017

Edited by Bluebird