RB Summer Season Casting

3 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

After she loyally supported him in that dog's breakfast at Sadler's Wells

Just as he supported her (Natalia Osipova & Friends) in New Zealand in March.

After he danced Rudolf in two Mayerlings in Munich in April (to public and critical acclaim), I was hopeful he would perform in June. People cancel. We don't yet know the reason.

I hope there'll be a worthy replacement. 

• Like 1

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, David said:

I'm assuming that some members here will probably know more than they feel able to reveal but generally speaking, before we all jump to conclusions, I think we should wait until more information emerges.

Well, people always still know more than they feel able to reveal after every one of the public reasons SP gives for pulling out of performances.

I am not so close to the ballet world, but it is amazing how word gets out about the 'real' reasons behind the very banal reasons given to the press. One example is his La Scala Sleeping Beauty announcement.

I was really rooting for SP to prove this as a kick start to his life, career and all things good for ballet. I feel sad, that after all of the discussion he has 'chosen to withdraw'.

Just to put this in context about 'reasons', many ballet dancers take pain treatments and really have to push through many pain barriers to keep to their commitments, so, here is hoping that the audience give amazing support for the new cast.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

Has anybody got David Hallberg on speed dial? I've never seen him dance and they're great together!

I don't think that is possible, it is in the middle of ABT's Met season, he has been carefully returning to performance and no experience of Marguerite and Armand yet.

5 minutes ago, Sim said:

Ahh if only, Vanartus!  Otherwise, I love Anna's suggestion of Matthew Ball, but at this late stage I am guessing they will have to cast someone who already knows the role....

Sigh - you're probably right...I think I'd like to see Muntagirov as they were meant to do R&J...or there's always: https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ballet_mt_men/shklyarov

• Like 1

Anyone with any sense will hold onto their tickets as the choreographic substance of the Ashton mixed bill is in the first two ballets on the bill.I doubt that casting Muntagirov or Clarke is  a real option as it puts the casting of subsequent performances of Symphonic in some doubt and it is by far the most important ballet in the triple bill. Symphonic may be short but it is a real test of stamina and mental concentration as once the cast is on the stage they are there until the ballet ends.As a result I don't think that either Muntagirov or Clarke are likely to appear as Armand.

Don't you think that it would be a rather sad end to a season which has gone remarkably well  if the company which is supposedly celebrating its founder choreographer is forced to call in someone with no connection with the company to dance Armand? To cast  Mr.Ball  would confirm management's faith  and commitment to the next generation of talented dancers. A satisfactory alternative for management would be to try to borrow Xander Parrish which I think would be interpreted by many regular ballet goers as a welcome and extremely acceptable solution to the casting problem that has been created by Polunin's decision to withdraw..In real life Polunin's replacement could well turn out to be Hirano 

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 10

53 minutes ago, FLOSS said:

Anyone with any sense will hold onto their tickets as the choreographic substance of the Ashton mixed bill is in the first two ballets on the bill.I doubt that casting Muntagirov or Clarke is  a real option as it puts the casting of subsequent performances of Symphonic in some doubt and it is by far the most important ballet in the triple bill. Symphonic may be short but it is a real test of stamina and mental concentration as once the cast is on the stage they are there until the ballet ends.As a result I don't think that either Muntagirov or Clarke are likely to appear as Armand.

Don't you think that it would be a rather sad end to a season which has gone remarkably well  if the company which is supposedly celebrating its founder choreographer is forced to call in someone with no connection with the company to dance Armand? To cast  Mr.Ball  would confirm management's faith  and commitment to the next generation of talented dancers. A satisfactory alternative for management would be to try to borrow Xander Parrish which I think would be interpreted by many regular ballet goers as a welcome and extremely acceptable solution to the casting problem that has been created by Polunin's decision to withdraw..In real life Polunin's replacement could well turn out to be Hirano 

Im going with Ball - no brainer and surprised if he isn't already being prepared..

• Like 1

I feel sorry for those who booked to see Polunin, who will be very disappointed. However, I think this is a great programme, with a wonderful cast. I booked specifically to see Natalia and I think she ought to have a say in who partners her.

It is a difficult situation for her and the company and the timing of the announcement, just before her final appearance in Mayerling tomorrow is not great. She has my full support and I remain very excited about Mayering tomorrow.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, FLOSS said:

A satisfactory alternative for management would be to try to borrow Xander Parrish which I think would be interpreted by many regular ballet goers as a welcome and extremely acceptable solution

I saw him at Baden-Baden in December and in all honesty I'd recommend to look for a solution from the Royal Ballet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FLOSS said:

I really hope they don't cast Parish, far preferable to give the opportunity to someone from within the company and anyway the role needs someone with exceptional charisma and a strong dramatic presence. 

• Like 4

I agree that anyone involved in Dream or Symphonic already has enough to do - hence the practical attraction of a guest. Otherwise if scheduling permits Hirano is a safe pair of hands - but too safe? It's not a princely role as in SB, although I did like them together. 

• Like 1

I am not surprised at this M&A announcement.  Given this particular guest's track record his disappearance from any assignment is surely far from unexpected for any ballet company nowadays.  Indeed, I think it is a boon for the Company.  They really don't need guests just now.  I'd love to see Ball - and - if not him - I'd love to see one of the younger dancers.  I agree that Muntagirov is clearly unavailable for the assignment - but I think Richardson would be both characterful and apt.  If only Hay was just a little taller he would be superb in this pairing.  How lucky we are to be blessed with such glorious and committed home artists.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 7

I find myself once again musing on the fact that within a couple of decades we have gone from being told that the roles of Marguerite and Armand are so sacred that they can only be danced by Very Special (and Usually Guest) Artists to contemplating multiple casts from within the Royal Ballet.  How times have changed.

• Like 5

Regarding Marguerite & Armand: I hope they choose wisely. I declared in 2013 that I never needed to see M&A again (history: Guillem once, before I knew anything about ballet.  Hated it; thought her miscast. Rojo/Polunin in late 2011: the ballet that (in a roundabout way) triggered my ballet addiction. Rojo/Polunin again on two dates in 2013: adored them, and wanted that to be the last time I ever saw the ballet).

I softened in 2015 out of curiosity to see Vishneva do it. And she had a last-minute substitute Armand and it Just Didn't Work and I regretted that I'd bothered.  The Armand, and the relationship between the two leads, is SO important.  Those of you who know me personally will know that I'm borderline obsessed with the Dame Aux Camellias story, and am extremely picky about it in any medium.  I haven't even seen Yanowsky do it yet, even though I love her in other roles - I only booked because of her retirement.

The dancer I remain most excited about in the upcoming revival is Alessandra Ferri. I booked for her with no hesitation whatsoever despite my strict criteria.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, RuthE said:

Regarding Marguerite & Armand: I hope they choose wisely. I declared in 2013 that I never needed to see M&A again (history: Guillem once, before I knew anything about ballet.  Hated it; thought her miscast. Rojo/Polunin in late 2011: the ballet that (in a roundabout way) triggered my ballet addiction. Rojo/Polunin again on two dates in 2013: adored them, and wanted that to be the last time I ever saw the ballet).

I softened in 2015 out of curiosity to see Vishneva do it. And she had a last-minute substitute Armand and it Just Didn't Work and I regretted that I'd bothered.  The Armand, and the relationship between the two leads, is SO important.  Those of you who know me personally will know that I'm borderline obsessed with the Dame Aux Camellias story, and am extremely picky about it in any medium.  I haven't even seen Yanowsky do it yet, even though I love her in other roles - I only booked because of her retirement.

The dancer I remain most excited about in the upcoming revival is Alessandra Ferri. I booked for her with no hesitation whatsoever despite my strict criteria.

Ditto.

Despite my adoration of Natalia Osipova, I hadn't booked for her, feeling that just as theatrical lore said you had to be forty to play Juliet, so I feel only an older dancer can dance Marguerite, even though I'm aware the original, Marie Duplessis, died very young.  Ferri may well bring a ballet that should otherwise be shelved to life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Ditto.

Despite my adoration of Natalia Osipova, I hadn't booked for her, feeling that just as theatrical lore said you had to be forty to play Juliet, so I feel only an older dancer can dance Marguerite, even though I'm aware the original, Marie Duplessis, died very young.  Ferri may well bring a ballet that should otherwise be shelved to life.

Sounds like you and I feel very similarly about this, MAB!

I'll be left with quite a dilemma if the replacement Armand is someone really interesting such that I'm left wondering if I should see Osipova's cast after all.

11 hours ago, RuthE said:

Indeed, MAB, I might add that until the casting and indeed Yanowsky's impending retirement were announced, I'd been thinking "Well, this looks like a last hurrah for Yanowsky, but... *does mental roll-call of the RB's roster of current female principals* ...who on earth have they got who'd be suitable for an alternate cast?"

Edited by RuthE

Not to mention who can replace Nureyev?

Very sorry to hear the news about Sarah: I hope it's not the same foot she broke previously.  At least, I think I do, unless that makes it worse :(

I don't know whether they'll switch the Dream casting about?  It has to be someone small enough for McRae to partner comfortably, I think.  Not sure Morera fits the bill.

49 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

Salenko on speed dial? ?

Not for a recording, surely?  That'd be like admitting that the RB didn't have any ballerinas who could dance Ashton, a fact we know to be untrue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

About time to pull someone from the corp. 

why not Anna Rose

Surely even she's a bit tall for McRae? She certainly is for James Hay who she's been paired with a few times.

45 minutes ago, alison said:

For a live relay?

Didn't Osipova dance this last time? Could also see Hayward being promoted to first cast as she's physically right for MacRae and a principal broadcast but also suit management's raising of perceived status for her....

• Like 1