RBS Mid Associates Auditions

richieN

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DD was at the MA London audition yesterday for year 9 Entry. Wanted to ask how it works to take in new people to MAs as spaces are already filled by current MAs? Is it the case that in some instances if the panel wanted to take a candidate they might assess out a current MA? I have heard this but didn't know if this was actually how it worked. Seems pretty harsh!

Certainly think there will be at least two Yr 9 places for Bath as my daughter gave her place up at the end of October when she moved to vocational school and one of the other girls is moving back to Japan with her family at the end of March. No-one was assessed out last year in Bath although assessments aren't until May in Bath, earlier in London. So don't despair, spaces do come up.

My DD was at the London auditions last weekend. She was exited, until we got there and she saw all the other girls! She got very self conscious and went in terribly nervous, , but came out smiling and happy to have been there. Never done an audition before, so it's a learning curve. Next time will be easier!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

How many Mids classes are there?  Is it one for each year group or are they mixed?  Do they take as many into Mids as JAs.  Is there much of a chance to get Mids if you haven't already been a JA?  Sorry for all the questions and if this information is already out there somewhere on the Forum couldn't see it.

There are less mids than JAS. Going back a few years there was at least a 50% chance at my dd's JAS I would say. Getting mid is hard....

So without JAs behind you don't hold your breath! Thankfully we have a few associates applications in the pipeline to keep DDs mind off it for now! I think I told her after Easter for results as she has her ballet exam coming up and is getting stressed with that and SATs revision.

I don't think anyone should hold their breath but you never know! Very sensible to play it down.....

There are plenty of other opportunities and you seem to be well prepared with that. My dd didn't get mids but is now at vocational school with funding so there's always hope!!

• Like 1

In our JA centre there is 1 class with years 7,8,9 girls mixed. So we've been told approx 4 places, poss 5 depending (I presume this means if any girls are entering mids in the later years). There are 2 JA classes of 15 (Inc. approx 6 boys total?) so 24 for c.4 places, plus applications from non-JAs and from other centres as there are 8 JA centres but only 4 MA centres. So all in all it seems incredibly hard to get an MA place xx

• Like 1

Tatasmum- The audition to move from JA to MA is the same as the preliminary audition for full time training at White Lodge. There's a box to tick on the application form if you want to apply for MAs as well .

I believe this year a few girls were invited to White Lodge finals, even though they had only ticked the MA box.

MA places are so much 'rarer' than JA places.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Gowiththeflo
  • Like 2

50 in total. 12 Royal,14 Hammond, 7 Tring =33 then Elmhurst who take apx 17 to 20.x

My DD is in Y8 at Elmhurst and is just one of 12 girls in the year group.  And from memory, there are only 12 girls in the current Y7 year group too.  Current Y9 is 14 girls (had been 15).  Think the max they take in a year group is 15 girls but yes, this does alter year from year and they don't always fill the spaces as depends what numbers they already have in other year groups.  So as Happymum said, think along the lines of 12 normally, as with WL.  Sorry to be a bit pedantic...

• Like 2

Are you talking MDS funded places only or just vocational school places.

As far as WL & Elmhurst are concerned, it's actual places/beds as opposed to number of MDS Awards available.  That said, most if not all who are eligible get them I think.  I don't know about Tring or Hammond.