Adult Ballet: The Ballet Retreat - new dates for 2017/18

Jan McNulty

The Ballet Retreat

New Dates for 2017

The Ballet Retreat London, 29th - 30th of April 2017

The Ballet Retreat Leeds, 26th - 28th of August 2017

The Ballet Retreat London 

29th - 30th of April 2017

A two day ballet retreat weekend at the modern studios of Rambert Dance Company on the Southbank London.

Enjoy two intense days of dance with David Paul Kierce and Georgina Roberts both ex Northern Ballet dancers and then spend your bank holiday Monday recovering! 

Full tuition, live pianist, world class facilities and teachers and lunch on both days for 

£209

Joining The Ballet Retreat Team

We are thrilled that Georgina May will be joining The Ballet Retreat team. Georgina is the full time classical ballet teacher at Rambert Dance School, London and is a quailfied pilates teacher practicing at the Alan Herdman Pilates Studios. 

Georgina was a Soloist with Northern Ballet for 10 years where she created roles such as Ophelia in Hamlet and Sleeping Beauty in A Sleeping Beauty Tale, she trainned at the Royal Ballet School from the age of 11 and enjoyed much critical acclaim during her stage career.

We are so pleased she is joining the team alongside David, Hannah and Gavin. 

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know what sort of level this would be? It seems almost fated that I go to the London one of these (as I'm in London to go to the Opera House on Friday and haven't booked my ticket back until Monday) but I'm concerned that I won't be able to keep up. I know it says beginner upwards but I always worry that beginner doesn't really mean beginner! 

• Like 1

Does anyone know what sort of level this would be? It seems almost fated that I go to the London one of these (as I'm in London to go to the Opera House on Friday and haven't booked my ticket back until Monday) but I'm concerned that I won't be able to keep up. I know it says beginner upwards but I always worry that beginner doesn't really mean beginner! 

That is a good question 

but the fact  they talk about 'beginners' and 'beginners -improvers'  classes from other professional practice suggests  that it may well be suited to beginners -  but  there;s no real calibration (  hell there isn't for the kids doing grades  between the different awarding bodies - see  numerous threads)...   how 'high' or 'low'  

the ultimate answer would be to drop them a message and ask.

(looking at their site it sounds  like a really  good  course, starts counting pennies) 

Edited by mph

• 5 months later...

Leeds  one getting closer ... 

and patience pays off !   i think the lesson  especially for the Leeds august bank holiday  date is to book early , fortunately for me  i've got ap lace off the waitlist . 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd copy a couple of the posts over from the Simply Adult thread.  I would be great if more people who attended could tell us about their experiences.  Thanks mph for your posts.

Extract from Michelle Richer's post:

"I think Gamzatti's variation is being used by the lucky dancers attending The Ballet Retreat."

MPH said:

"You  are correct  about  La Bayadere and The Ballet Retreat, the female rep was Gamzatti's  variation  and the male rep was the Coda  ... 

TBR is an  absolutely fabulous event ,   biggest problem that Hannah and David have  is finding Spaces (  such  a lovely  lovely  experience to  basically have the  run of Northern's  fabulous Building  this weekend ) and also  Hannah's timetable given her  current post and roles ... 

A generally held  sentiment among those who hae attended  TBR is that   more often  would be good,  and  even  some longer events .... "

Extract from LinMM's post:

"Absolutely love Northern Ballet studios such a well designed building best I've attended so far .....including London studios ....and have attended David's classes at Central before when I first returned to ballet a few years back now and they were just what I needed .....worked hard but with great humour he is a lovely teacher for Adult ballet. I would like to have a go at one of these retreats before it gets too late!! So may give it a priority next year."

MPH said:

"Lin  absolutely 

I thought  we had fun in class where I usually  take  class,  but  David  takes it to another level, especially  with the  advantage of a  real pianist  for class.

watch  TBR's website for  new dates as  they  are released. 

the Northern Ballet building is fabulous  -   a 30 *15 metre studio  space on the ground floor   -  how to feel  like you haveplenty of space   even if there are  nearly 50 people in class  ( slightly fewer number of people  on the  retreat as  participants, but   warm ups/ cool down , morning class and  the Mystery taster  ( Amaury Lebrun taking a class on Gaga Technique )  had some of the 'staff' as participants ...  also  throws a  whole  new perspective into  turning and  jetes  as part of centre work in class  ...  i don;t think many people  who attended  this August's TBR will forget   pose turn , pose turn , chaine-chaine-chaine-chaine,  pose turn, pose turn  chaine-chaine-chaine-chaine in a hurry  and still having  space  at the end of the studio  to  run off ...  I don't think the  ladies  ( barring  our 'honorary boy'  Liz)  got  to see the other  studios   but they are 15 *15 m  with  high ceilings  ( the 'boys' got  to see those as we  used one for one of our rep  sessions  ... "

Source thread:  

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Adult Ballet: The Ballet Retreat - new dates for 2017/18

Many thanks for this info Jan have just got in touch with them for more info about the London one in November ....could be my 70th birthday treat! Would love to go to Leeds as well but am planning a trip there in December to see Northern Ballet Liittle Mermaid  and to hopefully attend a couple of classes at Nothern Ballet studios again .....so January date a bit too close to that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Many thanks for this info Jan have just got in touch with them for more info about the London one in November ....could be my 70th birthday treat! Would love to go to Leeds as well but am planning a trip there in December to see Northern Ballet Liittle Mermaid  and to hopefully attend a couple of classes at Nothern Ballet studios again .....so January date a bit too close to that. 

Find it hard to believe you are approaching 70 Linda!!  I'd had you down as early 60s...

• Like 1

Thankyou very much Janet..... flattery will get you everywhere!! 

Partly doing ballet ( I think) but probably mostly genetic Janet!! 

Im actually a bit nervous about hitting 70 in fact as its the age my mother died and she looked young for her age too and did yoga regularly etc ....it was all pretty sudden within a year! ....So no guarantees I'm afraid. 

Ive sort of decided that next year (2018) will be my last year of performing but will still try to keep up the ballet and doing workshops like this one!! 

• Like 1