Dance photographer suggestions

Angeldancewear

Hi

Can anyone suggest photographers who are experienced in dance photography.

We want one who will take great shots in their own studio for a couple of hours, and give us all the digital prints - not these where you pay £?? per photo. We wouldn't want any physical prints

Ideally located in the Yorkshire or north of the UK - for use on social media, and our website Angel Dancewear

Thanks

I can't think of any off hand, but there was a chap who took photos at the York summer school. but sadly, his name completely escapes me!

We have used a local photographer who you pay a set fee for studio time and then you can either pay for individual photos, or for a CD of all images. I think it is quite common, and that's what I thought Angeldancewear was looking for.

maybe look for a sports photographer?

• Like 1

So, you want free studio time and free photos. Good luck with that...

I read that as wanting product photography they could use on websites etc. without paying further fees rather than paying per print. This is a thing photographers do and people pay for. (I wish more restaurants would. You wouldn't believe the things they give us to make websites with.)

• Like 3

I can't think of any off hand, but there was a chap who took photos at the York summer school. but sadly, his name completely escapes me!

We have used a local photographer who you pay a set fee for studio time and then you can either pay for individual photos, or for a CD of all images. I think it is quite common, and that's what I thought Angeldancewear was looking for.

maybe look for a sports photographer?

makes sense  i.e. pay  xGBP / hour for the studio and 'tog   including  the digital images  and then  pay extra for prints or additional copies of the media.

I know a  model who is /was a dancer  ( and an aspiring  'tog  / artist herself)    who may be able to advise as she is north midlands / yorkshire based  https://www.facebook.com/scarlot.rose  ( fb link should be  family friendly  she's on purpleport etc as well ) ... 

It seems that the easiet way to make a small fortune out of being a 'tog is to begin with a large one ...  also i do think that for  the reall good  togs  it all seems to be word of mouth  / industry specific sites / 'alternative' sites  rather than  public advertising  that generates their work 

• Like 1

Hi,

When asking photographers for quotes, it would be most helpful if you could supply them with examples of the types of photos that you would like - e.g. do you require a plain white, studio backdrop or would you prefer to use a dance studio and use the barres, mirrors, etc in the photos, either for the dancers to use or maybe out of focus in the background? It may help to ask to see examples of their work taken in similar conditions to what you would require.

We have found that as our DD gets taller, it becomes increasingly difficult to photograph her in front of our normal studio backdrop in some poses (arabesque for example). Sometimes it is better to move our equipment to a nearly hall just to give us enough room. To show the dancer's physique off to its very best, the photographer also needs to be a fair way away from them. It does depend on whether you are going to be using the photos to show off costumes, etc or whether you are looking for the very best photos of a dancer to send off for an audition. Some photographic studios may be too small to photograph a dancer in some poses, but the photographer would not be aware of this unless you advise exactly what you are looking for.

What can take up a large amount of a photographer's time, is any photoshop work required any completion of the shoot. Getting rid of stray hairs, covering up ladders in tights, holes in leotards, etc etc etc is, unfortunately, part of the job very often. Needless to say a little time spent on the day of the shoot getting everything as perfect as possible on the models, pays rewards after. We do not charge extra for photoshop work, but quite understand photographers who make a charge per photo for this service. It is incredibly time-consuming and an extremely skilled job.

We are quite happy to supply photos digitally, in fact most of our commercial work is done on this basis, and I do not think other photographers would have a problem with this.

It can be useful for the photographer to liaise with whoever is producing the catalogue/website/booklet in advance of the shoot. It is far better to know in advance whether there is a preference for horizontal or vertical photos, or if space should be left in the photo for text, etc. In a perfect world, someone is present at the shoot to choose the photos as they are taken - downloading them onto a laptop means that only the chosen photos are edited and supplied, saving a lot of time for the photographer.

Finally, photographers, much like dancers, do often struggle to make a living doing something that they really love. Our experience and skills take years to achieve too and constant practice and training is required to keep up-to-date with photographic innovations and client requirements. This all costs us time and money, so we do have to charge reasonable costs to ensure we can continue to work in the future (and pay for our DD's training too!) I hope you find someone you are happy working with and who can help you now and in future years.

• Like 6

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

Just to clarify, we want to pay for a single price for the shoot and all the digital images - some photographers charge by the print, which is not what we are looking for.

i thought so  -  which is the way the  the more serious end of things seems to work as opposed to the  'consumer' market ...

• 1 month later...

Hi my DD has just done her first ever photo shoot with Jon Applegate! He was amazing and knew how to get the best from my daughter! I know she will have awesome photos to keep for ever! I would recommend him to any dancers that were looking for portfolios or simply a chance to capture their love of dance on film! He does different offers but for us it was one price for lots of images! Jon's studio space is perfect and so all in all it would be well worth a trip! Highly recommended!