Hull City of Culture.

Vonrothbart

Well I've just been to have a look at whats going on in Hull this week, at the beginning of their City of Culture year. All I can say is, if you get chance to visit the light and sound show, then go as it's absolutely brilliant. My friends son sorted the sound out on the show on the side of The Deep, and he recommended it to me, and the one in Queen Victoria Square was a bit special too. I think this particular event finishes on Saturday, but I was told this is only the beginning, as there's something going on right through the year.

Edited by Vonrothbart
  • Like 2

It was amazing we are going back for a 2nd look this week! The sound at the Deep was 1st class, very much looking forward to our year of culture

I went back again tonight DB, to video the light show at The Deep and The City Hall, for some family in Australia, the atmosphere was electric as the crowds were massive. Everyone appeared to be loving it.

• 1 month later...

Watched last night's programme -BBC2 7pm, no doubt on iplayer now -about Hull's culture year. I have rather a soft spot for the city. It does have a interesting history and has been so unfairly ignored and/or maligned by people who have never even been there.

At last it is getting some well deserved recognition. I did enjoy hearing some of the stories and recollections by residents, some now famous. A friend of mine was at the university towards the end of Philip Larkin's tenure. I also liked the gentle fun poked at the very distinctive accent I remember well. The comedienne who presented the programme, Lucy Beaumont, was shown giving the audience at one of her shows a demo of the Hull sound and getting them to repeat after her - mama mia! In Hull this is actually - mam, I'm 'ere!

I liked the art installation at the blocks of flats. Just a piece of coloured cellophane or similar placed in each balcony or landing light, colour chosen by the residents. At night this lights up the building in blues, reds, pinks etc. Simple but incredibly effective way to brighten an otherwise dreary tower block. A lot of imagination but not having to cost a fortune.

There is a double page piece in today's ST which is also positive about Hull. It is clearly a city with a long way to go, but it is a unique place and well worth a visit.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Some good news for ballet lovers in Hull, in that Kevin O'Hare is bringing some Royal Ballet Company dancers for the official re opening of Hull New Theatre after a £16 million face lift. The dancers include well known dancers such as Marianela Nunez, Xander Parish etc, and some talented dancers from some of the local dance schools.