Half term/Easter/Summer HELP!

Mae989

Where on earth to start?! I've been looking through lots of posts but does anyone have any recommendations of courses for half term/Easter and summer please? I need inspiration as my DD is totally undecided!

Ideally residential but would consider non of it was a very good course. Note to self....must be more organised next year!

There are so many Mae! It depends a lot on where you are and how far you will travel, your budget, whether your dd is purely classical or likes a bit of MT or contemporary too, how many she wants to do ………   My dd loved her first summer school at the Yorkshire Ballet Assembly one is Escrick, which is a mixture of ballet, MT and contemporary. The Hammond is also good if you want a bit of a mix. RB or YBSS are the most prestigious classical summer schools, but very difficult to get onto and expensive. Ballet West seems to be highly recommended, but it’s remote. Northern Ballet do Easter and Summer schools which are very good, non-residential but they have an agreement with a local hall of residence. Ballet Boost, Tring, Elmhurst, ENBS, ……. I could go on! You need a good spreadsheet!

• Like 1

Does anyone have experience of Northern Ballet's International Summer School for seniors? 2 weeks is quite an investment of time and money so would be interested in any feedback. My dd would be 16 and about to start Adv 2 if she did the course. She has previously done Elmhurst, ENB and Ballet West but we need something later in the summer this year. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have experience of Northern Ballet's International Summer School for seniors? 2 weeks is quite an investment of time and money so would be interested in any feedback. My dd would be 16 and about to start Adv 2 if she did the course. She has previously done Elmhurst, ENB and Ballet West but we need something later in the summer this year. Thanks in advance.

Yes, my dd attends this, as do all of the Northern Ballet CAT students. She thinks it’s very worthwhile. Last year there were vocational students from Central, Elmhurst and Ballet West (and probably others), and some international students. A lot of CAT alumni come back to do it. They do ballet, rep, pointe, contemporary and pilates. The facilities are excellent and the atmosphere is very friendly. There were (I think) 4 groups of about 10-15 last year. It’s non-residential but they have an agreement with a nearby hall of residence. Any other questions, feel free to PM me :)

There are so many Mae! It depends a lot on where you are and how far you will travel, your budget, whether your dd is purely classical or likes a bit of MT or contemporary too, how many she wants to do ……… My dd loved her first summer school at the Yorkshire Ballet Assembly one is Escrick, which is a mixture of ballet, MT and contemporary. The Hammond is also good if you want a bit of a mix. RB or YBSS are the most prestigious classical summer schools, but very difficult to get onto and expensive. Ballet West seems to be highly recommended, but it’s remote. Northern Ballet do Easter and Summer schools which are very good, non-residential but they have an agreement with a local hall of residence. Ballet Boost, Tring, Elmhurst, ENBS, ……. I could go on! You need a good spreadsheet!

Gosh it certainly sounds like a spread sheet is in order BlueLou Although she does love classical mostly so I guess that's where we will start

Many of the SS have specific closing dates for applying of which some dates are in January so don't hang around on your research. Others are first some first served basis. 

My advice is, don't hang around and think 'I will do that next week'................. :huh:

Good Luck   :)

DD is off to Malvern Ballet Seminars this year.  Loved it last year, the teaching standard of ballet was very high and worth every penny!  They are very lucky to have Fiona Brockway and Matt Skoag this year as guest teachers and also the pianists are amazing.  Last year one of the pianists did a Queen rendition - it was stunning to listen to!

http://www.malvernballetseminars.co.uk

We have also been to Tring for many years when DD was younger.  It is more generic and covers all dance genres but always great fun.

Dance Forward also worth a look at if you are London based but it isn't residential so the cost of staying overnight can get very pricey.  Stephen Beagley was exceptional!

Can also highly recommend Malvern Ballet Seminars as an excellent Easter course. Also have personal experience of RBS, Elmhurst, YBSS and Opes and would highly recommend all of these. Whilst RBS, YBSS and Elmhurst are selective, I think Opes is first come, first served. YBSS also hold scholarship auditions and I think it is also possible to apply for a bursary.

• 1 month later...

I am assured by my dd that the food is excellent. Last year a typical day consisted of a ballet class, then either pdd or solos and contemporary at the end of the day. The accommodation is pretty good too. In the evenings there were quiz nights and swimming. Generally just a really nice atmosphere, common rooms to hang out in. Also in the evening tea, hot chocolate and biscuits always available. Lots of lovely people, dd had a great time, she just wished it had been longer.