The Royal Ballet: The Sleeping Beauty performances, 2016-2017

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sim - We've had this discussion before. Clearly, my 'definition' of what is 'offensive' is not the same as balletcoforum moderators and some members.

I think the moderators do an excellent, and often thankless, job.

• Like 12

If you didn't go to any of her performances how did you 'also' notice a lack of rapport between Aurora and her friends?

I think it was pretty clear I was not commenting on Ms Osipova's performances...  If I remember correctly, there have been other dancers in the Aurora role this season or am I mistaken?  I didn't say that I didn't attend any of the SB performances. In fact I went to 4 performances and saw 4 different Auroras and I noticed the rapport (or lack thereof) between Aurora and her friends during those performances.   Sorry it if that wasn't clear.

It's when you have a tune or jingle in your head and, try as you might, you just can't get rid of it!  It eventually clears of its own accord, but only when it is good and ready!!  :)

Thanks Sim, I have one regularly.

They happen to me regularly. Nutcracker stayed there in the run up to Christmas and other ballet music stays there is I watch clips on YouTube. Yesterday morning I had "And I am Telling You I'm not Going" from Dreamgirls which we had watched the night before stuck in my head. ????

It's when you have a tune or jingle in your head and, try as you might, you just can't get rid of it!  It eventually clears of its own accord, but only when it is good and ready!!  :)

...and in my case, only ever replaced by another tune! Sometimes I long for internal silence, just for a few minutes. :)

• Like 2

I don't mind being criticised for things that I have said but it is a bit tough to be criticised for things that I haven't said. I don't believe that I referred to "ballet tourists" anywhere in my earlier post (499). I believe that I referred to "tourists doing their London experience ballet visit "

"Ballet tourists" are people who follow ballet and/or individual dancers and are sufficiently interested in the art form or particular dancers to travel to see performances.They usually know quite a bit about the repertory in general and specific aspects of it in their own country and abroad and they certainly know what they have come to see and why they have done so.

"Tourists doing their London experience ballet visit" are tourists for whom a visit to the ballet seems to be as much a part of visiting London as watching "The Changing of the Guard". It is something that you do when you are in London in order to say that you have done it and you have the pictures to prove it. Now not all  " tourists doing their London experience ballet visit" are bored or badly behaved, most of them are absolutely fine. But there are always audience members who are bored or have only come for the iconic section of the ballet.Then there are those who suffer anxiety attacks when they are not able to look at their phones and can't last thirty minutes without reassuring themselves that their phone is still working and their friends have not unfriended them because they haven't tweeted in the last five minutes. They are a bit hard to take as they are so distracting and disruptive.

Perhaps the problem is that first timers at the Opera House are today quite likely to be first time theatre goers if they are under forty. If your only experience of being entertained in a large auditorium surrounded by strangers is going to the cinema you are unlikely to have any idea about how disruptive behaviour which is comparatively innocuous in a cinema is likely to be during a live theatrical performance of any type. We were all of us once first time theatre goers and first time ballet goers but the older you are the more likely it is that you learned the social norms of theatre going in the presence of your parents. Parental presence, combined with being completely involved in what was happening on stage meant that you rapidly became socialized into the local norms of theatre going.

As far as comments about individual performances are concerned we all have dancers whose performances generally appeal to us. At the same time there are dancers whose presence in a cast does not exactly make our hearts leap with joy.Now most of us I suspect, try to avoid performances by such dancers and will rarely write about them in our posts if we do happen to see them.During the course of this run of Sleeping Beauty we have had the opportunity to see a number of debuts and house debuts in the roles of Aurora and the Prince and debuts in other roles which have given audiences the opportunity to judge the health of the company and its strengths and weaknesses.These performances have also enabled us to identify dancers to look out for in the future. Now it would appear that as long as you say that dancer X was wonderful and gush effusively you will not be criticised but the minute that you express reservations about a particular dancer's performance even if you give reasons for your reservations you are likely to be accused of being rude.

I think that we have to recognise that with the range and variety of the company's repertory it is unlikely that every dancer will be equally effective in everything they dance or that they will appeal to everyone. Osipova is undoubtedly a star, and we may of course choose to be her uncritical fans, but that does not make those who find her admirable in some roles and less than admirable in others.wrong or rude when they point out what they perceive to be her shortcomings or explain why they don't like her interpretation of a role. I don't think that Osipova needs someone riding shotgun for her. I find that I get far more from the comments of those who explain why they like, or dislike, a particular dancer's interpretation than I do from those who simply who say nothing about the reasons for their likes and accuse those who express views contrary to their own of being rude

I had thought that this forum was dedicated to civilised discussion about dance and dancers rather than name calling.During the time that I have been a forum member there have been a number of members who have withdrawn from posting and participating in discussions because of what they have interpreted as sharp and unwarranted personal attacks on them and their views.I think that those whose idea of participation in a debate is to accuse people whose views they disagree with of rudeness need to consider the likely effect of their behaviour on other members and potential members.It is sad to read that people have been put off posting about their reactions to Osipova's performances as Aurora for fear of the response of her arch fan and self appointed protector.                                                                                      

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 11

I know many regulars who no longer read balletcoforum because of the offensive comments about certain dancers.

Really? I am surprised to hear that. I'd be more inclined to think that newcomers are put off by the offence taken and the resulting response if they dare to profess any negativity towards certain dancers.

As Mods we do our best to enforce forum rules. I would hope that the "many regulars" who have apparently left would have contacted us to let us know why.

• Like 7

I don't mind being criticised for things that I have said but it is a bit tough to be criticised for things that I haven't said. I don't believe that I referred to "ballet tourists" anywhere in my earlier post (499). I believe that I referred to "tourists doing their London experience ballet visit "

"Ballet tourists" are people who follow ballet and/or individual dancers and are sufficiently interested in the art form or particular dancers to travel to see performances.They usually know quite a bit about the repertory in general and specific aspects of it in their own country and abroad and they certainly know what they have come to see and why they have done so.

Sorry Floss for my facetious post.

I suppose really that I am a bit of both.  I specifically travel to see ballet and sometimes I go to ballet if there is something on where I happen to be.

I'm not that au fait with the RB production of SB but I was quite surprised to see that Matthew Ball performed Bluebird.  I can only ever remember seeing Bluebird performed by dancers on the shorter side of tall.  In any event I always think of Bluebird needing to be danced by a very deft, fast dancer no matter how tall!

Aileen - Yes & Yes - Critical yes. But not rude and offensive. - See my posts above.

Not only Osipova. All dancers.

Bill, it really would be useful if you gave longer expressions of your opinion rather that a few words.  I know you see a heck of a lot of dance and your more detailed opinions would add to the overall discussions.

Personally I did not see anything offensive or rude about Ms Osipova in TTP's post about her performance.

• Like 7

Well, it depends how you differential critical from rude / offensive, Bill.

Here's an example. I didn't think that Osipova had the crystalline quality needed in her dancing and presentation for the SPF in The Nutcracker. IMO, that's critical but not rude or offensive. What do you think?

• Like 3

I know many regulars who no longer read balletcoforum because of the offensive comments about certain dancers.

And I know many people who won't post on the forum because they are scared of getting their heads bitten off if they dare to criticise certain dancers.

• Like 4

As Mods we do our best to enforce forum rules. I would hope that the "many regulars" who have apparently left would have contacted us to let us know why.

Or even that they might have made judicious use of the "Ignore" feature if they found any particular poster's comments too unpalatable:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/9580-the-ignore-feature/

• Like 1

I don't think any of us are or feel ourselves to be under an obligation as reviewers in the formal, professional sense Bill.  We are more of a commentariat.  However, you appear to have awarded yourself the role of aggressively policing others' contributions without making any substantive contributions yourself.  Can you see why people might find that irritating?

• Like 7

I've never seen myself as a reviewer, Janet.

I'm not a reviewer Bill but I jot down thoughts some longer than others.  No-one is obliged to read them but people do and I hope they find them useful or enjoy them.  I am sure you would find the same if you jotted your thoughts down.

• Like 4

I'm sorry to hear that Bill.  Perhaps if you gave us some of your own wider thoughts, it would give some context to your responses to other people (which, intentions notwithstanding, do often read as abrupt).  For example, I would be interested to hear whether you enjoyed American in Paris and what you thought of Wheeldon's choreography, the performances?  It doesn't need to be a full review - there are many short comments on these boards which facilitate interesting discussion.

• Like 6

I shouldn’t get involved, I really shouldn’t…

I can see where billboyd is coming from. In places, TTP’s post seems to impute intention to Osipova. 

From the moment she leapt onto the stage, I thought to myself, and here is Osipova giving the audience all of the tricks she knows they will applaud her for. 

...there wasn't enough precision or even respect for the choreography.

These comments seem to be implying that Osipova has a lack of respect for the the Royal Ballet production and is self-involved and egocentric in performance. Criticising a performance is fine, but questioning a performers motivations is unfair. It is the difference between saying “Saodan’s post upset me” and “Saodan is deliberately trying to upset me”. Criticise what someone says or does, don’t criticise their reasons for doing it if you do not know what they are. 

To use aileen’s example “I didn't think that Osipova had the crystalline quality needed in her dancing and presentation for the SPF in The Nutcracker.” is fair. “Osipova’s SPF doesn’t work because she is more interested in showing off than dancing the role” is unfair.

We also need to be careful not to impute intentions onto other contributors. This is unfortunately incredibly easy on the internet as words are slippery and easy to misinterpret. I am sure that neither ToThePointe nor billboyd intended to cause offence. I certainly was not offended, even though I disagree with the words they used. I hope I haven’t caused offence with any of my posts however inelegantly I may express myself at times. I feel I may have been a touch unfair to Wayne McGregor and Uzma Hameed a little while ago. 

Incidentally, FLOSS, I hope you didn’t perceive my earlier comment on audience behaviour as aimed at you. It was meant as a general commentary on discussions we have been having on several threads.

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 12

I was lucky enough to see four, very different casts. I went in not particular enamoured with this ballet & came away entranced. I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to add anything onto what has already been written, but thought I might as well start writing things out again (I’m a bit rusty I’m afraid).

Some thoughts before I talk about individual performances:

- I disliked the garland dance, finding the choreography to be a bit insipid.

- My viewing this time was improved by the music, which was noticeably faster paced compared to the last run. Meant I wasn't nodding off on the 4th performance. I think this massively influenced my opinions of the performances I saw.

- Am I the only one who doesn't particularly enjoy the Rose Adagio balances? Especially when they're drawn out. I prefer them to be over with quickly.

- I do seem to favour shorter dancers in roles like this, which may be obvious with my opinions below...

The main casts I saw, in order, were Francesca Hayward & Alexander Campbell, Akane Takada & James Hay, Yasmine Naghdi & Matthew Ball and Natalia Osipova & Ryoichi Hirano.

In all of the performances I've seen (both this time & in previous runs), none of the Prince Florimund's have really resonated with me. I felt the Ball/Naghdi pairing came closest, but I just find the prince role fairly limited in this production, with little chance to establish a firm character. All were fine partners though, which I think is mostly what counts here.

After the first performance, I left the theatre completely besotted, amazed at the realisation that this was a debut for Frankie (& a debut performed whilst not feeling 100% at that). My opinion on this ballet changed in an instant. It wasn't completely polished in the first act, which I liked (it gave it a 'real' edge - as though her Aurora was a real person with real emotions), but was still pretty perfect. The change in her character from the 1st act to the last was palpable – her 1st act was a fairly shy teenager; her 3rd act much more mature. I also felt the tell tale sting of tears in my eyes at the end of act I, which was due to the culmination of the music & just generally being swept up in the performance. I have to say that this will be something I remember for a long time. Act III was stunning. The partnering was smooth and those fish dives looked like a breeze. I don’t really have much else to add that wouldn’t be gushing, but it was a beautiful performance overall. I will keep all my fingers crossed for a future DVD (not necessarily for this particular ballet) with Frankie in the lead role…

Second cast was Akane & James. Perhaps unfairly, this performance has been pushed to the back of my mind, possibly due to my aforementioned preference for shorter ballerinas in this role. Akane was rock solid in the first act, perhaps a bit too assured for act I, I felt. I didn’t really get the essence of a young girl celebrating her birthday, but it was perfect for the final act. That being said, I really do like Akane (she is a lovely dancer) & this performance won’t change my opinion of her; it just wasn’t my cup of tea. I also didn’t really feel a connection between Akane and James, more so than the other casts (this might just be me).

The second to last performance was Yasmine & Matthew. An extremely confident performance by both, especially Yasmine. Absolutely flawless & technically brilliant: a performance worthy of principal status. But, and it almost pains me to write this, I just did not get drawn into the performance at all. I felt that, at times it was just too perfect from the start to the finish; similar to my reservations towards Akane’s performance (again, height might be a factor here as well). I wouldn't hesitate to class Yasmine as one of my favourite dancers and I'm inclined to mention that my viewing was possibly effected by the people sitting around me (the person next to me kept tapping their foot in time with the music which was very annoying). That being said, act III was beautiful & I really enjoyed the performance for the dancing, just didn’t get as drawn in to the characterisation as other performances.

Matthews act II solo had shades of his Lensky & he really continues to impress me. I'm sure like most I'm excited to see this partnership flourish & both dancers continue to progress.

The final performance was Natalia & Ryoichi. This was the first time I'd seen Hirano in a full length ballet & I decided to not form too much of an opinion on him due to my reservations of the role, but I thought he was a fine partner. I was sitting very close to the stage for this performance. A very restricted view (happily did not miss much of the dancing due to the set arrangement), but easily taken after having seen 2 of the previous performances from the Amphi. Something that has really stuck with me is seeing Natalia's hands visibly trembling in the first act and Koen Kessels applauding after the rose adagio (if I remember rightly).

I didn't expect to like Natalia as Aurora. Was her Act I typical – no (although I do think most of this was down to the first part – her act I solo was very sweet). I do wonder if it will be tamed down for future performances, but whether or not it was performed correctly or incorrectly I did really enjoy it. I fear I watched most of the performance with a silly smile on my face.

I do feel that, as an artist, she has really grown over the past few years & continues to do so.

I can see how some might not have enjoyed her interpretation in this role and don’t think anyone should worry about not liking a particular performance or dancer (or, perhaps more accurately, a particular dancer in a particular role); after all, it would be boring if we all liked the same things.

The reason I enjoyed the performance was the characterisation; again, I felt like the character was a living, breathing person. Act I didn’t have the same sentimental feeling as Frankie’s performance did for me, but it was a close second favourite. I thought that Natalia’s Aurora was more of a typical teenager; a bit cheeky and excited on her birthday, perhaps a bit of a handful for her family, but still mindful of the formal setting. And like others have mentioned, her awakening scene was the most realistic I’ve seen – she looked like she had really just been waken up from a deep sleep & was initially confused at what was going on.

What I didn't expect to enjoy most was her act II, which in comparison to the first act was very elegant & much truer to style. I liked her use of epaulement, which really shone here, something I wouldn't necessarily have said several years ago & something that surprised me (I would have liked to have seen this develop in further performances). Act III was much more mature & assured, but there was a degree of shyness towards Ryoichi. I do like it when I can easily see the character arc in ballet’s like this.

In regards to other dancers, I didn’t go much on any of the bluebird castings, with the exception of Marcelino Sambe and Anna Rose-O’Sullivan. Gina Storm-Jensen was my favourite Lilac Fairy, which was a pleasant surprise (unfortunately she did fluff some of the pirouettes, but her overall performance/characterisation was strong). The others Lilac’s I saw were a bit of let down unfortunately, some more than others. I didn’t see Calvert in this role though & I’m led to believe she is the strongest.

Carabosse was a favourite no matter who was cast, although each time I was sitting too high up for the trap door stage exit to look anything but mildly amusing.

Something I had forgotten was how much I love the music in this ballet – I still have half of it stuck in my head (like others have mentioned plenty of earworms in the score)…

I do feel incredibly lucky to have witnessed 4 different casts, and lucky that all Aurora’s brought something different to the role. I never thought I would be this excited about Sleeping Beauty, but I was (and am!). I'm also excited for upcoming meatier performances.

(And, hopefully, this really long write up isn’t as convoluted as I think it might be!)

• Like 20

Two things:

1) Saodan - I think you have explained with both tact and precision why certain comments grate, and others are acceptable. My concern is that a brutal gang mentality can build up too quickly - some "reviews" of Multiverse were simply distasteful.

2) Lenore - your review of the four performances was a great read. I only booked Hayward and Osipova. I sadly had to let the Hayward ticket go, but I did see Osipova - like you I watched her performance with an equally silly grin on my face, and I enjoyed every single moment.

Edited by Vanartus
  • Like 14

Went to an Encore performance this afternoon  There were only 2 of us in the cinema, which is hardly surprising as it was shown at midday.  Strange time for a midweek show, I wonder what on earth they were thinking?

Anyway, a few general thoughts, in no particular order.  First of all, this was my second viewing, having seen Takada and Campbell live a couple of weeks ago.  I can only say that the garland dance didn't improve much seeing it in close up.  It just seemed like it was filling time, and some of it looked remarkably similar to steps we used to perform in country dancing when I was at school.  Everyone talks warmly of Ashton's version.  I can't comment on that, but I do wonder if it might be better to drop the idea of a group garland dance, and do something a bit different - maybe have some smaller groups doing individual bits? 

I thought all the fairy solos looked much better than in previous years.  Loved Choe in the cinema version, such a charming smile.  On both occasions, I could not see the Song Bird soloist do the fluttery hand movements behind her back.  It could be that I was sitting the wrong side of the stage for the live performance, but it didn't show up in the cinema either.  Do they still do it?

Calvert was the Lilac Fairy on both occasions.  I thought she did a nice job, and was a calm, authoritative presence throughout, but the solo felt stodgy each time, with more static poses rather than the lovely continuous flow of movement that I have seen in older versions on Youtube.    Is it because the choreography has changed, or some other reason? 

Loved the close ups of the 4 princes in act 1.  One had a haughty expression on his face, which said, "I am clearly much better than everyone else, get rid of the others"  One was all gushing charm, and one gave Nunez a very comprehensive once over while she was dancing, obviously assessing her looks as well as her status!  Only little things, but I found it amusing. 

I still find that act 3 drags a bit.  I found myself dreaming that a hunter would come on and shoot the wolf, and sweep Red Riding Hood up into his arms, to liven the proceedings up a bit.   

Regarding the commentators, I thought Bussesll seemed much more relaxed than she usually is.  and for once I enjoyed watching her.  Pairing her with Oduba obviously works well.  I loved his expression with a male dancer sprinted past as they were just rounding up before the performance resumed.   Someone clearly late getting into position.   One thing puzzled me, though.  Since when did the Rose Adagio become the Rose Adage?

I will  post a few thoughts on the principals in another post. 

• Like 4

Now it would appear that as long as you say that dancer X was wonderful and gush effusively you will not be criticised but the minute that you express reservations about a particular dancer's performance even if you give reasons for your reservations you are likely to be accused of being rude.

those who simply who say nothing about the reasons for their likes and accuse those who express views contrary to their own of being rude

It is sad to read that people have been put off posting about their reactions to Osipova's performances as Aurora for fear of the response of her arch fan and self appointed protector.                                                                                      

You are wrong.

I do not accuse people of being rude simply because they disagree with me.

• Like 1