The January edition of the Dancing Times says that the Mariinsky Season next year will be from July 24 to August 12. They open with Don Q and follow this with Swan Lake, Anna Karenina (Ratmansky), and a Triple Bill (Carmen Suite; Infra and the Paquita Grand Pas), closing with La Bayadere.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

Thanks for this .... Thank God for the Bayadere .... but I am disappointed that with all the Ratmansky masterworks that have never been seen on this shore they are bringing back this AK .... Last time it was Concerto DSCH ... a world away in terms of its danced acumen ... at least in my eyes.  I suppose this will be the Vishneva farewell to London .... NYC/ABT gets Oneign.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Personally, I find that rep reasonably appealing given that a tour is always going to focus largely on box office winners and at least their Swan Lake is more attractive than the dreadful Bolshoi version. It's the casting that worries me. IMO there are very few world class dancers in the top ranks of the company than previously or than currently at the Bolshoi. I'm offering prayers that Shklyarov and Novikova come. 

• Like 4

Personally, I find that rep reasonably appealing given that a tour is always going to focus largely on box office winners and at least their Swan Lake is more attractive than the dreadful Bolshoi version. It's the casting that worries me. IMO there are very few world class dancers in the top ranks of the company than previously or than currently at the Bolshoi. I'm offering prayers that Shklyarov and Novikova come. 

Is Shklyarov not in Munich for a year (?) ... or perhaps this will be the beginning of his return.  Fingers crossed.  If they needed male guests perhaps they could bring in Matthew Ball or Brandon Lawrence.  (They'd sell me more than a few tickets.)  

Novikova too would be a delight.  That Giselle she danced here with her husband with the Mikhailovsky was a total delight.  

Funny the most recent Bolshoi and now the upcoming Mariinsky tours will OPEN in London with Don Q.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Thanks for the information capybara.  I suppose my inclination would be towards Anna Karenina.

I saw Anna Karenina with Ulyana Lopatkina and rather liked it, as I recall, although I think the critics were lukewarm. I love Lopatkina so was already well disposed towards the production. She was wonderful and the staging was very impressive, including an incredible scene of falling snow. I would like to see her and this ballet again.

Is Shklyarov not in Munich for a year (?) ... or perhaps this will be the beginning of his return.  Fingers crossed.  If they needed male guests perhaps they could bring in Matthew Ball or Brandon Lawrence.  (They'd sell me more than a few tickets.)  

Novikova too would be a delight.  That Giselle she danced here with her husband with the Mikhailovsky was a total delight.  

Funny the most recent Bolshoi and now the upcoming Mariinsky tours will OPEN in London with Don Q.  

It seemed that Shklyarov had left the Mariinsky for Munich but then, according to a recent interview with Shklyarov, Gergiev called him and asked him to consider working at both theatres so he is dividing his time between Munich and St Petersburg although he has mostly danced in Munich so far this season. He is dancing in St Petersburg on NYE (w Novikova). 

Very disappointed no Corsaire AGAIN. I think their Corsaire is the best in the world; the overture alone is worth the price of admission. it must be nearly 20 years since they did it here. I remember seeing Margaret and Denis Thatcher in the stalls! For me it will just be Don Q (though I don't think their version is as good as the Bolshoi's) and Bayadere. (I hope them bringing Bayadere won't influence Mr O'Hare against staging the Royal version. I've been waiting for ages to see Vadim as Solor!) Saw Ratmansky's Anna Karenina before and no desire to see it again. Pity everyone seems to have stopped doing the Ballet Russes triple bills and feel they have to do something modern. I used to enjoy them. At least it won't be an expensive visit.

• Like 1

I feel that Shklyarov's appeal as an artist is rather overvalued compared to some who have been forcefully kept in his shadow by the Acting Director but are greater artists. I concur with your other sentiments. Novikova would come to London only if Mr Fateev is finally removed which is in fact a distinct possibility and would be an enormous relief for the majority of Mariinsky dancers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know I have asked this question before, so bear with me, when will casting be announced please?

As Alison says it will probably be months before we see any casting. Meanwhile I am looking forward to seeing at least the dates for the separate productions - at least then we out-of-towners can start to plan! I guess Jamie this is one of the best places to watch:

http://www.roh.org.uk/about/mariinsky

You'll see they are promising an up-date before the end of the month!

Edited by David

Yes, many thanks and great to get the dates, in fact pretty much as I expected, 2 x triple bill and Anna Karenina, about 4 Don Quixote's and Bayadere's and twice as many Swan Lakes! 

Highlights for me will be Infra (at last), Paquita, Don Q and La Bayadere.

Hello to everyone,

I'm breaking my duck here to say that the dates for the separate productions, as well as some vague early casting intentions, are up at http://www.victorhochhauser.co.uk/page/3/HOW-TO-BOOK.php.

Thank you for this - really, really helpful. Am already consulting with children and grandchildren - hopefully getting in first before they book their holidays with friends etc! - and checking the cheapest nights for hotels. It's going to be a very expensive time!

Thanks for this great! Which ballets do we think Vishneva will do although Kondaurova is my favourite?

I saw Diana Vishneva as Anna Karenina so she will probably dance that again, and possibly Carmen, I have a Gala DVD where she dances a solo and I think it's the Alonso one.

• Like 1

Thanks Lizbie1.

Glad to see Shklyarov among the fold - He is very much needed.  Will go to the Tereshkina/Shklyarov SLs - as they were - for me - the highlight of the last tour outside of the Ratmansky.  (I did find the Company during the last tour somewhat sadly down at heel.)  

Also nice to see Kondaurova this time .... Sure she will probably dance the AK as well as Vishneva - for whom this tour will I'm sure be a London farewell.  

Now if ONLY they could bring Novikova - no matter what the political machinations.  That would put a smile on a goodly few faces I should think :) 

• Like 1

Does anyone know why Alina Somova isn't on the list of principals likely to be attending? 

(I'm sorry for disappearing for so many months! I've been rather busy, but as the spring season is starting I'll be here to stay.)

She is currently on maternity leave. 

• Like 2

Not being familiar with either the Mariinsky or the dancers if I were to select one which one should it be? If the Bolshoi prices are anything to go by then it will be one.

If you're not bored of watching Don Q, then I'd recommend Tereshkina's Kitri. Or her Nikiya actually. And if you want a Swan Lake then you can't go wrong with Kondaurova. (And yes, the Bolshoi were not good for my bank account!)

Edited by VickyPage
  • Like 2

Not being familiar with either the Mariinsky or the dancers if I were to select one which one should it be? If the Bolshoi prices are anything to go by then it will be one.

Their Swan Lake. For the glory of Mariinsky's corps de ballet and their Vaganova Academy training.

• Like 3