Russian Icons Gala 2017 (Sun. March 12) tickets available ....

I picked up a cast list on the evening of a gala I attended at the ROH some years ago. Even at that late stage it was subject to more changes than could realistically be attributed to illness or accident. Unless they all had the same bug/sprained something.

Since then, I have found, where one exists, that it can be useful to look at a dancer's own website. Their forthcoming appearances should include galas and have been quite reliable in my experience. Barring the aforementioned unforeseens.

Maybe Evgenia Obraztsova will be able to board the plane the same day as Gala (12th) and appear on stage in London after Onegin in Moscow on 11, but it's really hard to believe that Ekaterina Krysanova could do this as she's cast on 12 March as Tatiana in Onegin in Moscow

FYI

11 March 2017

Tatiana, Larina’s daughter
Evgenia Obraztsova

12 March 2017

Tatiana, Larina’s daughter
Ekaterina Krysanova

Olga, Larina’s daughter
Maria Vinogradova

Surely the participants in a gala should only be listed if they are definitely going to perform (barring injury or illness of course)? If their appearance is speculative/not confirmed the publicity should list them as 'possible' participants or similar (or not list them at all). Otherwise people are booking (expensive) tickets on false pretences. (Not talking about myself - I haven't been to a gala for years.)

• Like 4

Honestly I'm going on Sunday and haven't a clue what's going on....am only going to see ( well hopefully) CeliB's son perform as one of the students from the Vaganova school.

I too haven't been to a gala for a while as they are such bitty affairs so unless it's a special occasion such as to raise money for a good cause I don't usually bother.

Luckily am in London on a ballet workshop that day anyway so the gala should be a nice piece of relaxation after that!!

• Like 1

Surely the participants in a gala should only be listed if they are definitely going to perform (barring injury or illness of course)? If their appearance is speculative/not confirmed the publicity should list them as 'possible' participants or similar (or not list them at all). Otherwise people are booking (expensive) tickets on false pretences. (Not talking about myself - I haven't been to a gala for years.)

I agree Bridem.  I'm afraid I don't get the Ensemble Productions policy.  It can - on the face of it - seem rather unfair to their public.  

In a similar instance - the Etoiles of the 21st Century programmes, say, in Paris - they always report in advance when dancers are NOT going to appear.  I remember when Chudin/Smirnova pulled out ... and were replaced by well known artists - they were even offering people their money back who had booked exclusively to see the former.  

If they know in advance of no shows - the least they could do is remove the names from the listings on their own website and elsewhere.  If there are a number of cancellations - then surely an email to audience members would be much appreciated.  That will not cost them money ... but certainly earn respect. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

I agree.  I've attended a few of these galas in years past, but have given up on them because, while their published cast lists often read like your wish list of everyone (well, or almost everyone) you'd want to see on stage, guessing who amongst them will actually show up is a bit like throwing darts.  The relationship between the denominated honoree and what is actually danced, moreover, often seems, to put it kindly, extremely tenuous.  But I'm not sure that either is of much import to their core audience.

• Like 3

their published cast lists often read like your wish list of everyone (well, or almost everyone) you'd want to see on stage

By chance I happen to have a little insight into what goes on. A few years ago this Russian gala announced that a dear friend of mine would be dancing. For various reasons, I am being discrete, this would have been something of a sensation so there was a fair bit of interest. But when I spoke to her (no names, no names) she told me no one had even contacted her. They had just stuck her name on the list.

I ended up getting involved professionally in this, as she asked me to find a lawyer (she didn't want her name taken in vain, as it were) but in the end thought better of making a fuss.

Nonetheless I will be there on Sunday. There are bound to be things worth seeing, there always are.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 3

If I'm not allowed to post this, I'm sure a moderator will remove.

I've just seen the rehearsal schedule for Sunday (one of my conductors is involved in the Philip Glass) and Krysanova isn't listed but Obrazstova is.

Makes one wonder why the organisers cannot yet inform their audience (or prospective audience) who is performing. Disgraceful!

• Like 1

I've just seen the rehearsal schedule for Sunday (one of my conductors is involved in the Philip Glass) and Krysanova isn't listed but Obrazstova is.

PHILIP GLASS!  Very apt for a Ballets Russe celebration I'm sure!!!  NOT!  (Not that I have anything against Glass.  NOT AT ALL!)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Sounds intriguing. But I have vivid memories of the last one I went to starting 45 minutes late! and then each interval was about the same.. and the dancer I really wanted to see didn't come on until nearly 10.30pm, followed by a desperate dash to get the last train home.. That on top of not having a clue who we are going to see -All a bit too much excitement.....

I think for Russian Icons you always take the cast list with a shovel of salt.  However I cannot honestly say I have ever been disappointed by this show and it is often a highlight of the ballet year for me.  I am just glad I will get to see some dancers that I would ordinarily never have the chance to see especially those from abroad.  I really hope Svetlana Lunkina makes it but if not so be it.

• Like 2

It has struck me that, if the gala is being hosted on the ENO website, it may not be quite so easy for the organisers to update it at will.  Or am I being over-generous?

Alison, this gala is a simple rental of the Coliseum for one date at I'm certain considerable expense.  For that reason alone the ENO surely could update their website (assuming they are fed the information - which may be a major assumption in terms of this particular performance) with a certain alacrity given that it often appears they do precious little else in terms of marketing any rental.  

I think the lack of any major ballet company (outside of ENB of course) at this address this season can speak for itself.  Obviously word - and not just the cost - has got out.  Caveat emptor.  A crying shame given the glorious facility Matcham created.  Truly sorrowful.  Obviously the media suggested return of the Mikhailovsky this season went seemingly by our particular wayside perhaps for this very reason. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

I think for Russian Icons you always take the cast list with a shovel of salt. However I cannot honestly say I have ever been disappointed by this show and it is often a highlight of the ballet year for me. I am just glad I will get to see some dancers that I would ordinarily never have the chance to see especially those from abroad. I really hope Svetlana Lunkina makes it but if not so be it.

She has just posted a picture on Instagram with the caption 'flying to London' so chances of seeing her are pretty high I reckon :)

• Like 4

What is known so far

This info is from the open source, the FB page of main person behind this event - Olga Balakleets

Zenaida Yanowsky & Edward Watson will do an extract from Les Enfants Terribles, together with two singers JPY

Maria Kochetkova & Tyler Angle in Diamonds

Julia Makhalina & Xander Parish in Le Spectre de la Rose

Petrushka with Vladimir Schklyarov in the title role

Ludmila Konovalova & David Dato

Pavlova went on to dance the Dying Swan thousands of times, and on Sunday 12th March Iana Salenko will follow in her footsteps at the London Coliseum.

The Firebird, The Scheherazade, L’après-midi d’un Faune, La Chatte and others will be complemented by contemporary works from choreographers David Dawson, Alastair Marriott, Gerald Arpino, Jean-Christophe Maillot – paying homage to the spirit of innovation and creativity that were such a hallmark of the great Russian impresario

there will be a unique appearance in The Fairy Doll by final year students of the legendary Vaganova Academy.

And this is given as “the very special surprise” -

This Sunday, Theatrum Vitae will launch at the London Coliseum with an exclusive 4-part introductory ballet production. The world premiere to an ambitious and unprecedented project by concept and libretto creator Rafael Porzycki and producer Olga Balakleets, Founders of Theatrum Vitae.

A unique synthesis of performing and visual arts,

Theatrum Vitae will transcend borders and unite people around the world. We will explore the progress of civilisation from the earliest times, and tell the story of our shared cultural heritage – while promoting essential human values in the current climate of political and social uncertainty. 4 stunning historical landmarks, in 4 countries over 4 years – we promise it will be like nothing you’ve ever experienced before

Theatrum Vitae will be launching at The Russian Ballet Icons Gala this Sunday at London's iconic, Coliseum - a celebration of the glittering legacy of the legendary Ballets Russes. We will be showcasing a special performance of a Theatrum Vitae piece as an introduction to the series of innovative and life-changing creative experiences we will launch in 2018.

• Like 1

Thanks so for this Andy.

Surprised they did not mention 'the very special surprise' in their initial blurb.  

That said, I am especially pleased that London will have a chance - albeit fleeting - to again see Tyler Angle, surely one of the great male dancers on world stages today.  Those above mentioned plus Obraztsova and Lunkina will I'm sure make this a special outing - without need for the hyperbole and a half granted to the 'very special surprise' ... one which 'will transcend boarders and unite people'.  We shall, of course, see.     

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Pavlova went on to dance the Dying Swan thousands of times, and on Sunday 12th March Iana Salenko will follow in her footsteps at the London Coliseum.

And this is given as “the very special surprise” -

This Sunday, Theatrum Vitae will launch at the London Coliseum with an exclusive 4-part introductory ballet production. The world premiere to an ambitious and unprecedented project by concept and libretto creator Rafael Porzycki and producer Olga Balakleets, Founders of Theatrum Vitae.

A unique synthesis of performing and visual arts,

Theatrum Vitae will transcend borders and unite people around the world. We will explore the progress of civilisation from the earliest times, and tell the story of our shared cultural heritage – while promoting essential human values in the current climate of political and social uncertainty. 4 stunning historical landmarks, in 4 countries over 4 years – we promise it will be like nothing you’ve ever experienced before

Theatrum Vitae will be launching at The Russian Ballet Icons Gala this Sunday at London's iconic, Coliseum - a celebration of the glittering legacy of the legendary Ballets Russes. We will be showcasing a special performance of a Theatrum Vitae piece as an introduction to the series of innovative and life-changing creative experiences we will launch in 2018.

Makes it sound as if only Pavlova ever danced the Dying Swan until now. And I have not the faintest idea what the 'very special surprise' part is talking about or why it should be in a Russian ballet gala. I just hope it's better than it sounds, for the sake of those going to the gala.

• Like 1

'Explores the progress of civilisation from earliest times-'..another late finish then by the look if it?  :)

i hope whoever goes will give those of us who couldn't make it some descriptions, as  the whole evening does sound a lot of fun and I really look forward to hearing about it.

• Like 3

The list of dancers at post #53 (above) is definitely incomplete  :)

It was NOT stated that it's complete list of performers

It's the info (a part?) confirmed by the organizer & (now) producer of the event, personally

Maybe she'll keep some more surprises & secrets till the very beginning of the Gala