Russian Icons Gala 2017 (Sun. March 12) tickets available ....

Although I (strangely) cannot find it linked to the ENO's 'what's on' listing on their website (but then neither is the musical Bat Out of Hell and that too is selling tickets) the RUSSIAN ICONS GALA 2017 is now selling seats (both online and at the box office) and might well be an answer to a gift idea for that busy balletomane friend who seemingly has every dance DVD known to man or perhaps is dedicated in their thinking that the sun rises and sets on a Russian ballet horizon.  Last year's ICONS presentation sold out ... although that cannot always be said of previous endeavours.  

https://londoncoliseum.org/whats-on/the-russian-ballet-icons-gala-2017-in-the-steps-of-the-ballet-russes/

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

I'm sure it wasn't that long ago that the balcony top price was £25 (and stalls something around £90).  Oh well, that's me who won't be going again, since I don't think I can fit into any of the restricted-view seats.

By the way, are these "gala" performances still raising funds for some charity somewhere, or has that gone by the board?

BTW, I suspect the "new" website name may be an attempt to put some distance between the venue and ENO.

Well, guess we should be thankful that it's the front of the balcony - and not the very back or only extreme sides - that are £25.  I agree it is expensive but it is a Gala after all - and the only chance that UK dance audiences who don't travel will have annually to get a glimpse of POB or NYCB dancers - should they actually show up.  These things don't come cheap and certainly the ICONS producers don't get any public support.  

It's for the same reason (i.e., the £25 bottom rung) why - although I would dearly love to go - the BRB 'big' works in their home theatre are out of my fiscal range I fear - (as then it is always plus travel and sundries for me).  They now charge £25 as their least amount for those (and just think of the subsidy they receive!)  I'll have to look at other theatres and see in balance if it isn't cheaper to travel further abroad in the UK ... or hope that the BRB too will do cinema or TV relays.  

I feel that these 'guest' programmes at the Coli will only get more expensive (i) because the ENO is desperate for the money and the rent they charge is extortionate ... especially when you consider that the Organisation does precious little to support the Guest Companies when they do come - and most play to acres of red and (ii) because now many artist and service fees are being requested to be paid in US dollars.  (I have run into this in terms of the Charity's own work.  The pound is not exactly popular just now ... and the universal 'They' seem to feel that it (i.e., Sterling) will be losing rather than gaining strength/ground in the near term and so are being ... erm ... insistent.  I fear I have no crystal ball to argue otherwise and we (i.e., the Charity) have had to trim our sails to suit current seas.  This will have an upside for our friends in New York as they will I assume be getting more fare given the Yellen effect.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

It's for the same reason (i.e., the £25 bottom rung) why - although I would dearly love to go - the BRB 'big' works in their home theatre are out of my fiscal range I fear - (as then it is always plus travel and sundries for me).  They now charge £25 as their least amount for those (and just think of the subsidy they receive!)

I got into Nutcracker, non-discounted, for under £20 the other day. Not much under, but still, it was under (and admittedly wouldn't have been, had I not paid cash).

Well, guess we should be thankful that it's the front of the balcony - and not the very back or only extreme sides - that are £25.  I agree it is expensive but it is a Gala after all - and the only chance that UK dance audiences who don't travel will have annually to get a glimpse of POB or NYCB dancers - should they actually show up.  These things don't come cheap and certainly the ICONS producers don't get any public support.  

I'm reeling along with everyone else. And those £25 seats in the Balcony have restricted legroom.

'Galas' are funny things, aren't they? Whatever the theme is supposed to be, the undoubtedly illustrious dancers (some much heralded in advance; often many substitutes) seem to come along and offer either whatever is in their rep. at that moment or a favourite party piece. 

Always enjoyable to varying degrees but, with most of the seats costing £90 - £145, one has to question the value for money of yet another mixed bag.

• Like 6

I agree it is expensive but it is a Gala after all - and the only chance that UK dance audiences who don't travel will have annually to get a glimpse of POB or NYCB dancers - should they actually show up.    

The chances of POB dancers showing may be good, as I believe some are participating in the McGregor Tree of Codes performances at Sadler's Wells and those seem to end on the saturday evening before the gala.  Of course it depends on the Parisian gala participants also being involved in Tree of Codes.

• Like 1

By the way, are these "gala" performances still raising funds for some charity somewhere, or has that gone by the board?

When these concert galas originated, I think, at Queen Elizabeth Hall in 2006, there was some link to a charity helping a children’s home or children’s hospital near St.Petersburg. I remember Antonicheva & Uvarov dancing then.

The press release  for The Russian Ballet Icons Gala 2017 in the Business Courier three days ago does not mention any charities: http://thebusinesscourier.co.uk/po-stopam-ballet-russes-baletnyj-gala-vecher-ikony-russkogo-baleta/    So it is an established business now, which itself gets support from Blavatnik Family Foundation и UBP (Union Bancaire Privée).

Edited by Amelia

Well, Marie-Agnès Gillot and  Jérémie Bélingard, both of POB étoile ranking, were in the original McGregor showing in Manchester .. as well in the brief NYC run ... so that would be nice.   

and even if they go home it's only 2 hours on the train from Paris to London not as if they have to go half way around the globe. Some POBs came last year although they danced modern t-shirt and jeans style stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I had sent a message yesterday to Ensemble Productions to see if they had the talent listing for this year's Russian Icons Gala - as it is less now than two months away - and got the following message:

Hello Bruce, thank you for your message. The cast will be announced in the next few days. Best regards, Ensemble Productions team

Let's all keep our eyes peeled :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just realised how useful your Link is Bruce Wall.....to be able to book tickets for this!!

The son of a Balletcoforum member who is studying at Vaganova school at present has been chosen as one of three students from the school to perform at this gala. Just really exciting news!

So a must see! But could I find anything about this gala on the Coli website or even other suggested ticket agencies for the Coli ...oh no ...but then remembered there had been a recent thread here on this and Bruce's link is perfect ....takes you straight in to book tickets.

There are still quite a few in the £40-65 price range in the Balcony and First Circle so not in the hundreds of pounds as expecting!!

Can't wait for this now!

• Like 1

Sorry, I didn't realise this hadn't yet been posted.  I got an email from Ensemble Productions last week containing the information below.  Probably some of the dancers listed won't come but it gives a general idea::

“In the Steps of the Ballet Russes” once again celebrates the glittering legacy of the legendary Ballet Russes. Much-loved favourites from the heady days of Diaghilev will be complemented by less familiar works and some spectacular contemporary repertoire – while exciting new pieces including a world premiere inspired by the Ballet Russes will look to the future of this great tradition.

The cast for the Gala will be studded with world ballet stars and principal dancers from the world’s finest ballet companies:

Maria Alexandrova (Bolshoi Theatre), Marlon Dino (Bavarian State Ballet), Matthew Golding (The Royal Ballet), Maria Kochetkova (San Francisco Ballet), Ekaterina Kondaurova (Mariinsky Theatre), Liudmila Konovalova (Vienna State Ballet), Lucia Lacarra (Bavarian State Ballet), Vladislav Lantratov (Bolshoi Theatre), Sasha Mukhamedov (Dutch National Ballet), Vadim Muntagirov (The Royal Ballet), Evgenia Obraztsova (Bolshoi Theatre), Natalia Osipova (The Royal Ballet), Xander Parish (Mariinsky Theatre), Iana Salenko (Berlin State Ballet), Olga Smirnova (Bolshoi Theatre), Jacopo Tissi (Bolshoi Theatre), Ivan Vasiliev (Mikhailovsky Theatre), Marian Walter (Berlin State Ballet), Edward Watson (The Royal Ballet), Zenaida Yanowsky (The Royal Ballet) and students of the Vaganova Academy among others.

London’s annual ‘Russian Ballet Icons’ Gala, first held in 2006, is now firmly established as a highlight of the international ballet calendar. Every year a dazzling programme pays tribute to the wonderful traditions of the Russian ballet school and its legendary soloists who have been inspiring dancers and ballet lovers since the early nineteenth century.

The Gala will be followed by a post-performance Dinner at the legendary Savoy Hotel in the presence of the star dancers and other celebrity guests."

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

I'm in Budapest at the end of this week for a work project and attending the Ivan Nagy Gala (got a front balcony seat for £4.14) in the beautiful Opera House there.  Delighted that Muntagirov (one of my favourite current dancers) is to appear.  Just dropping the programme in here as it suggests what two of the above referenced RIG dancers might well be dancing on 12th March.  (Wonder too on 12.3.17 if we will get an Osipova/Vasiliev repairing for the sake of old times.)  

Part I
Opening speech
Announcing the winner of the Solymosi Award
1. Mráz/J. Strauss: Tritsch Tratsch Polka – students of the Hungarian National Ballet Institute
2. Venekei/Gounod: Checkmate ­– Carulla Leon Jessica, Roland Liebich
3. Petipa/Perrot/Coralli/Wright/Adam: Giselle ­– Pas de deux ­– Liudmila Konovalova (Wiener Staatsballet), Vadim Muntagirov (The Royal Ballet)
4. Petipa/Gorszkij/Hertel: La Fille Mal Gardée – Pas de deux – Sarkissova Karina, Timofeev Dmitry
5. Dózsa/Mahler: Adagietto – Pas de deux – Melnik Tatiana, Gergely Leblanc (Étoile 2016/2017)
6. Petipa/Minkus: Don Quixote ­– Pas de deux – Maria Yakovleva (Wiener Staatsballet), Denys Cherevychko (Wiener Staatsballet)

Part II
1. Farkas/Kodály: Háry János – Intermezzo – Tamás Mahovics Jr., Dénes Darab, Kristóf Morvai, Bálint Katona, Attila Szakács, Balázs Krajczár
2. Seregi/Hidas: The Cedar ­­– Pas de deux – Lili Felméry (Étoile 2015/2016), Balázs Majoros
3. Zanella/Piaf: L’accordéoniste – Maria Yakovleva (Wiener Staatsballet)
4. Perrot/Pugni: Esmeralda – Pas de deux – Melnik Tatiana, Gergely Leblanc (Étoile 2016/2017)
5. Cauwenbergh/Brel: Les Bourgeois – Denys Cherevychko (Wiener Staatsballet)
6. Sarkissova ­/Piazzolla: Libertango ­– Sarkissova Karina, Gergő Balázsi
7. Petipa/Legris/Drigo: Le corsaire – Pas de deux – Liudmila Konovalova (Wiener Staatsballet), Vadim Muntagirov (The Royal Ballet)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Talking about this, does anyone else have the same difficulties that I do, when trying to book on line at the Coliseum?  I have never yet managed to purchase a ticket, something always goes wrong.  To get tickets for Giselle, I went to the box office in person.  This time, I had to resort to the telephone.

• Like 1

Talking about this, does anyone else have the same difficulties that I do, when trying to book on line at the Coliseum?  I have never yet managed to purchase a ticket, something always goes wrong.  To get tickets for Giselle, I went to the box office in person.  This time, I had to resort to the telephone.

I can't get the Coliseum website at all, I have an old browser apparently, it does have advantages as I have to book at the Coliseum, which means no booking charges and the possibility to get £5 off which is not available online.

I'm in Budapest at the end of this week for a work project and attending the Ivan Nagy Gala (got a front balcony seat for £4.14) in the beautiful Opera House there.  Delighted that Muntagirov (one of my favourite current dancers) is to appear.  Just dropping the programme in here as it suggests what two of the above referenced RIG dancers might well be dancing on 12th March.  

You've lost me, Bruce. What are RIG dancers?

I would say that the Russian Icons gala is "worth it" only if you want to rub oligarch shoulders.  The production values are generally low, many of the advertised stars fail to appear each year, it doesn't even support a good cause and frankly it makes me want to run out into the streets waving a red flag and call for revolution.  

Much better to actually go to Paris or New York if you want to see those dancers - for the price of RIG stalls tickets you could probably fly business class and stay at the St Regis....

• Like 2

To Fonty....yes I had to book on the phone in the end...just collected ticket today!

It was odd as I'd recently been to Giselle there with no probs and then remembered I'd booked via ENB not the Coliseum.

Anyway they've reset it all so only remains to be seen whether next time I book there are probs!

Lindsay I was surprised today to find out that it appears there is no charitable aspect to this show....disappointing I think.

However my motive for going this year is entirely personal....I'm interested mainly in the students appearing ...as one of them is local to where I live ( we have a teacher in common) When I first saw him at 14 I knew he had something so am so pleased that he is dancing in this gala.

Just noticed the Russian Icons Gala '17 casting seems to have been updated:  It now includes another of my current favourite dancers, T. Angle (as opposed to his brother 'J') from NYCB, Lunkina - NBoC and Shklyarov - Munich/Mariinsky.  Sadly  now no Smirnova ... but wonderfully Krysanova from the Bolshoi. 

As ever, we'll see who actually shows on the night :)

The programme, accompanied by the orchestra of the English National Ballet Philharmonic, will be performed by Maria Alexandrova (Bolshoi Theatre), Tyler Angle (NYCB), Davide Dato (Vienna State Ballet), Marlon Dino (Bavarian State Ballet), Matthew Golding (The Royal Ballet), Dmitry Gudanov (Bolshoi Theatre), Isaac Hernandez (English National Ballet), Maria Kochetkova (San Francisco Ballet), Liudmila Konovalova (Vienna State Ballet), Ekaterina Krysanova (Bolshoi Theatre), Lucia Lacarra (Bavarian State Ballet), Sarah Lamb (The Royal Ballet), Vladislav Lantratov (Bolshoi Theatre), Svetlana Lunkina (National Ballet of Canada), Steven McRae (The Royal Ballet), Sasha Mukhamedov (Dutch National Ballet), Vadim Muntagirov (The Royal Ballet), Evgenia Obraztsova (Bolshoi Theatre), Natalia Osipova (The Royal Ballet),  Ekaterina Osmolkina (Mariinsky Theatre), Xander Parish (Mariinsky Theatre), Tamara Rojo (English National Ballet), Iana Salenko (Berlin State Ballet), Vladimir Shklyarov (Mariinsky Theatre), Jacopo Tissi (La Scala), Ivan Vasiliev (Mikhailovsky Theatre), Edward Watson (The Royal Ballet), Zenaida Yanowsky (The Royal Ballet) and students of the Vaganova Academy.

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 4 weeks later...

There was no information on the promoter's website yesterday. The other day on his Instagram, Xander Parish said he was looking forward to dancing ''Le Spectre de la Rose' with Yulia Makhalina "next week" in London. But even that's unofficial.