National Youth Ballet auditions

hoglett

Hi,I received an email today to say that auditions are now open but I'm a little confused. What exactly are they auditioning for? Am I right in thinking it's to perform in a production but rehearsing at a summer school. I can't see any dates either. I've put the link if you're interested.

http://nationalyouthballet.org/information/audition-information/

I was interested to see that NYB will not be holding their SS in Tring this year but Elmhurst as Tring, where it has been for the last four years, still has these dates out on their summer calendar.  I may be wrong but I am sure the NYB web site had Tring as the venue last time I looked.  I was also surprised to see the audition venues as I thought I saw three London audition dates and one in the north or am I mistaken?  Have there been some last minute changes or I have been reading this wrong?  Anyone on the Forum in the know on this?

I saw this on Facebook, too, but can't seem to find the actual audition dates, just a list of dates and venues but nothing to match the two! Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? I'm going to ask dd's ballet teacher whether it's worth a go, as she's (just) over the minimum age, and I think it would be a good experience.

• Like 1

I saw this on Facebook, too, but can't seem to find the actual audition dates, just a list of dates and venues but nothing to match the two! Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? I'm going to ask dd's ballet teacher whether it's worth a go, as she's (just) over the minimum age, and I think it would be a good experience.

Glad I'm not the only one!

Choose '2017 Audition and Masterclasses' at the top of their home page, then when that page is open, click on the 'Audition' tab and scroll down. All the audition dates and venues are there :)

Choose your venue and click 'Apply' - then you have to click 'log in' and register to create a new user and password.

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 2

Choose '2017 Audition and Masterclasses' at the top of their home page, then when that page is open, click on the 'Audition' tab and scroll down. All the audition dates and venues are there :)

Choose your venue and click 'Apply' - then you have to click 'log in' and register to create a new user and password.

Aha! Thank you! Just need to hear back from her teacher now. Also, I suspect they're going to want height (and weight?) and I don't know either of those as she's definitely grown recently. Must remember to dig out the measuring tape.

Thanks,does it give you the date for the SS part once you've registered?

Hi,I received an email today to say that auditions are now open but I'm a little confused. What exactly are they auditioning for? Am I right in thinking it's to perform in a production but rehearsing at a summer school. I can't see any dates either. I've put the link if you're interested.

This page has a letter giving most of the information that people seem to be looking for regarding dates and scholarships etc.  It was put up later last night so looks like they were still updating pages throughout yesterday evening.

Oh no, at the time I registered my DD, I couldn't find any info on minimum age.  That's me hastily sending off an email to them this morning as I've also paid the fee last Monday.  My fault really :( I just hope they respond.  I don't seem to be having much luck with email correspondence lately.  Also sent an audition form and payment for an associates programme a few days ago and have not heard back or received an acknowledgement email at all.

National Youth Ballet puts on an annual production at a regional theatre and a special London gala performance.  Several years ago it used to be rehearsals every weekend for a number of months which was very difficult and expensive for those taking part - especially since it aimed to be for dancers all over the uk and not regional. So they started doing a concentrated rehearsal period - residential for the older dancers and during the summer holidays. this combines with a summer school so that when not needed in a rehearsal, dancers are not sat around waiting but can take part in classes instead. So all participants will be in the production but how much time they spend in rehearsal and how much time is spent in summer school classes depends on the part(s) they get offered.  Auditions are held - prelims and finals and you are auditioning for a part in the production. I hope that helps clarify. There are lots of threads on the forum about NYB.

I've just clocked that there's no way they'll take a (just) 9 year old who's never done a residential before as a boarder, so I think I might have to tell dd she can't audition. We're nowhere near Tring. How do the non-local juniors manage it, is there some sort of arrangement that's not on the website to make it possible?

• 5 weeks later...

I had an email reply on Jan 13th saying they couldn't process PayPal payments for the audition and I have to do a bank transfer. Today their website is down and I'm not sure how much to pay them for and whether this is the same for the Masterclass which I thought I had applied for at the same time. So clearly they have received something somewhere. It says they will email full audition details within next couple of weeks.

• Like 1